Stuck case in Pro 1000?

PDA

darwin-t
May 21, 2006, 09:38 AM
I load 9mm with my Lee Pro 1000. I think I have a stuck case because when I lowered the ram the shellholder didn't come with it.:confused:

I resisted the urge to pry on anything until I got advice here. I'm using Lee dies, of course.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/darwin-t/press3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Stuck case in Pro 1000?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Uncle Don
May 21, 2006, 11:08 AM
Clean that rebated part of the ram with solvent and then get it good and dry. Raise it into the carrier and tighten that hex nut on the front of the carrier good and tight. That should bring the carrier back down and solve the problem.

scooterthegreat
May 21, 2006, 11:09 AM
I know I'm new to all this myself, but in "shopping", I distinctly remember seeing "Stuck case pullers" that you can buy.

Uncle Don
May 21, 2006, 11:14 AM
That isn't his problem in this case. The case is not really stuck but the tension in the die under normal circumstances was still higher than the tension of the carrier against the ram. If that occured, it was not tight enough in the first place.

If he had lowerd the carrier and case remained, then he would have had a true stuck case. In the case of Lee sizing dies, all you have to do is loosen the collet (but not remove it) and then use a 3/32 punch and strike the top of the decapping pin and drive it back out. There is a vide of it on Lee's website under "Help Videos".

scooterthegreat
May 21, 2006, 11:18 AM
Sorry - I missread....

darwin-t
May 21, 2006, 12:53 PM
I got it. I unscrewed the sizing die until the shellholder dropped, inserted the now clean ram into it and tightened everything back up.

Thanks for the help - I didn't want to screw anything up.

Rico567
May 22, 2006, 04:44 PM
Do what "Uncle Don" said. You didn't stick a case, you pulled the ram out of the shell plate carrier. This is no big deal. It happened to me occasionally, and "Uncle Don"'s fix implicates the true culprit: oil gets on the rebated top of the ram and makes it slip out of the shell plate carrier. If everything's clean and it's good & tight (but you must be sure not to overtighten, or you can crack the shell plate carrier casting), you should be good for a long while.

This problem indicates why it's a good idea go have several Pro1000s, rather than change out the shell plate carriers. Given that the bare shell plate carrier is around $35, and a complete Pro1000 is only $120 at Midway (think $35 for the shell plate carrier, $15 for the shell plate, $25 for a set of dies, $7 for a new turret, and you're over two-thirds of the way there).

darwin-t
May 22, 2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I got it going. I loaded 200 rounds - just a couple non primed and a couple tipped primers.

Here's what I'm going to try next - I'm going to take the indexing rod out of my turret and use it with the safety prime attachment to resize and prime cases.

Then I'm going to run them through the 1000 with the powder measure die in station number one, the bullet die in station two and a factory crimp die in station three. I've tried it and it isn't hard at all to place the bullet in place with my left hand reaching around the back of the press. With the case feeder I should be able to crank 'em out.

Does anything see anything wrong with this idea?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stuck case in Pro 1000?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!