Remington Navy .36

PDA

finlander
May 22, 2006, 03:13 PM
What can you tell me about Armi San Marco Remington Navy .36? One person on Finnish forum is selling one for 200€. Revolver has been made from a kit. Haven't been fired.

Haven't decided yet where I'm going to spend my summerjob salary. On the other hand, I'd have to save money for a car, but on the other hand...

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Navy .36" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
May 22, 2006, 03:46 PM
Don't waste the money; ASM manufacture arms are poor, at best, as far as I know.

RON in PA
May 22, 2006, 04:29 PM
I'll second Third-Rail. Get an Uberti.

mec
May 22, 2006, 04:52 PM
Right ASM is out of business and deservedly so.

frosty
May 22, 2006, 06:37 PM
Uberti revolvers are exellent quality, and have greatly improved in the last several years, not to mention they seem to be readily available most anywhere. The last ASM revolver I had wouldnt cycle properly:cuss:

Smokin_Gun
May 23, 2006, 02:01 AM
With any kit unless you build it, don't buy it.
I have seen mostly good ASM revolvers...later one may have been better, I heard it was hit or miss sometimes just like Pietta and Uberti. I have a 1848 Baby Dragoon ASM of 1973 vintage that I bought unfired and is of Uberti or better qulality. Replaced a cylinder pin lock in an ASM Dragoon good quality, functioned well looked good. ASM parts are readily available at:
Deer Creek Phone # 765-525-6181. If anyone needs parts.

Go for either Uberti or Pietta on you 1858 Navy ... http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/bpRemingtonCollection.tpl

gmatov
May 23, 2006, 04:29 AM
Finlander,

200 EU is something like 280 USD, no? Way too much.

First, you have to see if it really IS a Remington Navy .36. I have bought a Remington .36, and it is the same frame as the '58. IF it IS the actual Navy model, it might be worth it. They are hard to come by. They are about 3/4 the size of the .44 cal Rem Army model.

Regardless what the others say, the ASM is not all that inferior, and parts are still available. That cannot be said for many other mfgs.

Cheers,

George

finlander
May 23, 2006, 08:25 AM
200 EU is something like 280 USD, no? Way too much.

Well, beyond the great pond it probably is too much. I wouldn't mind if they'd be around 140-240€ back here, but little market, high prices! I haven't even seen new Remington Navy? .36 for sale in any shop (well, I know only few shops that have BP firearms in stock) so can't compare prices but new ordinary Pietta Remington 1858 .44 goes for 230€. And that's a cheap price here!

Have to ask the seller some details about the revolver.

sjohns
May 23, 2006, 03:01 PM
I've had a lot of good luck with ASMs. But not with any kits. They aren' fitted well and require a lot of work. The old CVA kits are ASM, as well as many of their old brass framed guns.

But the ASM guns I have that are factory made work well. I have a 73 and a 78 I think. (year of manufacture) Ok... so two guns is a small sample.. so maybe that's why I use the word "luck"...

ASM is my third choice after Uberti and Pietta. I wouldn't even consider a Palmetto from what I have heard. By the way, ASM is owned by AWA these days, and I haven't seen them make any new black powder revolvers yet.

Some one here said that we ought not deal with kits that we didn't put together and I think that is sound advice.

just my 2 cents

finlander
May 23, 2006, 04:16 PM
Some one here said that we ought not deal with kits that we didn't put together and I think that is sound advice.

Well, may be safer that way. Maybe it's better to buy some more caps and balls and BP and shoot the Rem. I have.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Navy .36" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!