Which assault style rifle?

PDA

Roadwild17
May 22, 2006, 03:21 PM
Which and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which assault style rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dobe
May 22, 2006, 03:34 PM
It the US standard, lots of available ammo, parts, and add-ons. Its also very reliable in its present day packages.

Dobe

Ruston, hugh? I used to live in Monroe.

Vitamin G
May 22, 2006, 03:38 PM

Vitamin G
May 22, 2006, 03:43 PM
Umm... For what?

Thats like asking, "Diesel truck, corvette, or 15 passenger van?"
Well umm.. Where are you going, how much do you want to spend, how fast do you want to get there, and how many people are you taking?

Roadwild17
May 22, 2006, 03:49 PM
Well It would be the HD, nijia planker, SHTF/end of the world, hey pal let me shoot yours and you shoot mine, everything rifle.

Foxtrot427
May 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
Sig 556 with the folder.

neoncowboy
May 22, 2006, 04:03 PM
The chapter on battle rifles in Boston's Gun Bible is really, really good. He compares pros/cons and detailed info on a wide sampling of rifles and presents each ranked according to certain criteria.

It's worth reading before you buy.

Personally, I'm sold on the M1A platform: .30 cal full power cartridge, excellent sights, decent parts/accessories availability, surplus ammo is widely available (though not as cheap as it used to be).

For me, it's the perfect rifle.

Impala
May 22, 2006, 04:41 PM
AR .308:cool:
these have always been my absolute favorite, Armalite's AR-10 and the DPMS models especially, they offer superb accuracy, lots of stopping power, long range, and are very adaptable/"accessorizable"
I'm not much into the compact assault/tactical entry type weapons, as I'm not a delta force, swat, HRT, etc..operator, I have no need for such things.
I go for a more long range setup with a heavy barrel
i'm not really a fan of either .223 or 7.62x39 caliber,
One of my friends had a romanian AK that he scoped, (For some odd reason he thought it would be as accurate as an SVD-dragunov I kept telling him it wouldn't but he's a stubborn bastard.) as I predicted he had a hard time shooting tight groups with it, probably something to do with the AK's
long stroke piston and shorter round. (opposed to the dragunov with the short stroke piston and flatter shooting 7.62x54R) I asked him "how'd it shoot?" and he said "Like an AK with a scope on it!"
...but I digress.

I must confess that I do like the look of some of those KEL-TEC carbines as well as their new PLR pistol in .223 sweet. :D

MTMilitiaman
May 22, 2006, 04:53 PM
I was tempted to say AK and in certain situations, like urban combat, I think it still would be my choice. But for an all around rifle from urban combat to head for the hills, I think a battle rifle has a lot going for it. As good as a Fulton Armory M14 might be, I am leaning towards an HK roller lock clone like the JLD, followed closely by the Para FAL.

AndyC
May 22, 2006, 05:07 PM
FN-FAL

If I had to choose a .223, it would be an LM4/5

Mikee Loxxer
May 22, 2006, 05:29 PM
FAL, an elegant weapon from a more civilized age, back before ordinance departments decided that soldiers would be fighting groundhogs. :neener:

grimjaw
May 22, 2006, 05:32 PM
I picked my current favorite, AK in .223.

jmm

Lebben-B
May 22, 2006, 05:41 PM
AR in .223. Why: Availability of parts and accessories. Plinking ammo is cheap and plentiful. Ammo for HD/SHTF scenarios is also readily available. Recoil is negligible. It's an inherently accurate design that's easy to shoot and shoot well.

Mike

Shane333
May 22, 2006, 05:47 PM
Got my .223 AK as my first choice. Reliable as the day is long, and shoots a common caliber in the USA. Also surprisingly accurate, considering the platform.

berettashotgun
May 22, 2006, 05:57 PM
By definition the battle rifles don't qualify for your list. The assault rifle is a term describing a type of automatic rifle generally defined as a selective fire rifle or carbine, chambering intermediate-powered ammunition-From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Pretty much means mini or AK; since a short barreled AR isn't a true option for most folks.That said, for a true assault rifle the AK has everything going for it, I personally like the mini-30 better, but cannot get a knife to stick on the end properly.:neener: BUT- a short barreled FAL would be my overall choice. Have one and love it.

nero45acp
May 22, 2006, 06:03 PM
I'd like Ruger to offer an accurized Mini-14 with a heavier barrel. Oh, and some readily available (to the general public), factory 20rd mags would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath....:banghead:

nero

frosty
May 22, 2006, 06:07 PM
S.K.S. They are plain and simple good shooters, and are very reliable. Some freinds of mine actually prefered them over A.K. 47's. Just not enough moving parts to break!

KINGMAX
May 22, 2006, 06:24 PM
Ruff, rugid, simple. An AK is eazy to keep up. I cant' remember my last jam or misfire in either one of mine. I may be out of the norm as an AK owner. I do keep mine very clean, (no mud, cleaned after every time out, that sorta thing). Most folks try to see how much abuse it takes to make an AK stop performing. :what: Everybody loves to shoot an AK. :what:

Guns_and_Labs
May 22, 2006, 06:38 PM
AR-15 .223

Accurate and fun, able to pop varmints way out there, and available everywhere except where I live.

goldshlagerxx
May 22, 2006, 10:01 PM
"Pretty much means mini or AK; since a short barreled AR isn't a true option for most folks."

What are you talking about? The definition of "assault rifle" you presented says nothing about barrel length. Are you trying to state that the original M-16 w/ a 20 inch barrel is not an "assault rifle"? Can civillians purchase a "mini" or an "AK" with a barrel less than 16 inches without NFA paperwork?
Please clarify.

Foxtrot427
May 22, 2006, 10:04 PM
AndyC, whats an LM4/5

ATAShooter
May 22, 2006, 10:06 PM
M1A ...

armoredman
May 22, 2006, 10:56 PM
SKS is what I have - rough and rugged, and dirt simple. Backup for that is the Enfield.
What I would like is an FAL, which is a combo of the two...

Pumpkinheaver
May 22, 2006, 11:09 PM
FAL

ReadyontheRight
May 22, 2006, 11:12 PM
I'm rather unclear on the syntax. What is the question?

ReadyontheRight
May 22, 2006, 11:14 PM
Regardless, the answer is not on your list. M1 Garand.

And before you laugh too hard, consider how many magazines you can afford to keep loaded/handy and how you define "concealment" vs. "cover". :)

FatalMove
May 22, 2006, 11:21 PM
im with the ar platforms. like .223 but my state says i need .24 cal or larger to deerhunt.:banghead: since i cant use .223 i use the AR-10. Its accurate, powerful enuff for shots as far as my abilities allow, ammo reasonably priced, and has more heft than the .223......which feels like a bb gun to me. thou a pleasure to carry if you got to carry it all the time. My AR-10 weighs in at 11 pounds with scope, tele-stock, broomstick, falcon ambi grip, and giles tactical sling. But my vote was with AR-.308 but just because of hunting rules otherwise i'd carry the bb gun sized .223.

:D

FataL]V[ove

AndyC
May 23, 2006, 12:11 AM
AndyC, whats an LM4/5
Sorry, I should have explained further. Semi-auto version of the South African R4/5 - which in turn is a clone of the Galil. You get the select-fire R4, R5 and R6 - the barrel-length gets shorter as the number increases, and the semi-autos are the LM4, LM5 and LM6 (never seen the latter, though).

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/9089/r52my.jpg

Not my R5 pic - stole it from a SA police website.

Squidward
May 23, 2006, 12:42 AM
"Well It would be the HD, nijia planker, SHTF/end of the world, hey pal let me shoot yours and you shoot mine, everything rifle".

I don't know what a "nijia planker" is, but for the other criteria I'll vote for the .223. If you want to gun swap with your pal, get what he doesn't have..

If you enjoyed reading about "Which assault style rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!