Touching up a mould

PDA

Fatelvis
April 27, 2003, 12:09 PM
I just bought a Lyman DC 38 cal mould from Ebay, and it needs a little work. It has a few tiny "specks" of lead around the edges of the cavaties. What is the best/safest way of cleaning these off? Also, the mould halves seem to be high in the center, causing the blocks to "rock" back and forth. (Top and bottom of mould opens and closes). I think its due to one of the holes, that the pins in the other half mate with, is marred, creating a high spot, causing this rocking. How can I true the hole up, eliminating this "rocking", without disturbing the cavaties? Thanx a million-

If you enjoyed reading about "Touching up a mould" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
April 27, 2003, 12:22 PM
Take a razor blade or a dental pick and pick the lead off the edges, try not to mark the surface of the mold but it is not the end of the world if you make a small mark or two.

The high spot needs to be indentified for sure. You need to cover the surfaces with something and then open and close to find out where it is hitting. A carbide lamp works good, candle soot, layout fluid (must be removed), just about anything that will cover the surface and is fairly easily disturbed. Dry erase markers work OK too. When the high spot is found you can polish it out with a Dremel or even just matchsticks and sandpaper. Don't polish the mold surfaces where you will disturb the vent lines or round any edges that the molten lead touches.

Hope this helps.

If you enjoyed reading about "Touching up a mould" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!