Low cost, High Range Rifle....

PDA

chad1043
May 22, 2006, 09:33 PM
Any one have any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Low cost, High Range Rifle...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hillbilly
May 22, 2006, 09:42 PM
Uh, what is a "high range rifle?"

Is that one you take to the mountains?

Not trying to be a smart-aleck here, but it's hard to tell exactly what you are wanting based on this post.

hillbilly

MSGT9410
May 22, 2006, 09:48 PM
Maybe he means a rifle you can reach out and touch targets with at ~1000 yards?

chad1043
May 22, 2006, 09:49 PM
long distance...

R.W.Dale
May 22, 2006, 09:49 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/smack/SENDMOREINFO.gif

chad1043
May 22, 2006, 09:53 PM
Well, I have several rifles already, but none that can really get out there. I was wondering if there was a lower costing rifle I should look into.

Jorg Nysgerrig
May 22, 2006, 09:59 PM
Well, I have several rifles already, but none that can really get out there. I was wondering if there was a lower costing rifle I should look into.

If you attach a value to "out there" and "lower costing" and folks will be able to help you much more quickly and accurately.

Try something like this: "I'm looking for a decent rifle that for shooting at ranges of 800 yards or so for less than $500. Any suggestions?"

Might also be helpful to know at what you are shooting at those ranges.

chad1043
May 22, 2006, 10:06 PM
I'm looking for a decent rifle that for shooting at ranges of 800-1000 yards or so for less than $500. Any suggestions? Nit sure what I would like to shoot out there. Mostly range targets...

hillbilly
May 22, 2006, 10:10 PM
There are rifles in that price range that will reach out to there.

But when you add in a scope worthy of that kind of shooting, plus the appropriate scope bases and mounts, you're talking about more than $500 just for those components, more than likely.

Here's an example of such a rifle with that kind of optics, mounts, etc.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=49061636

student
May 22, 2006, 10:51 PM
Could a Swiss K31 or Finnish Mosin Nagant (both can be scoped) help lower the cost and supply the necessary accuracy? I ask because I don't shoot at hose ranges with my rifles.

grimjaw
May 22, 2006, 11:08 PM
What hillbilly said, plus the ammunition will generally cost more than rounds designed for medium or short range.

You could try going to the military surplus route. Alot of the sights on the less expensive rifles would be difficult to use at 1000 yards, but they are serviceable on gongs at lesser ranges, say 500 yards.

jmm

Technosavant
May 22, 2006, 11:19 PM
Like student, my thoughts immediately went to the K31. It's quite accurate, and is currently very inexpensive at about $120 (well, the ammo isn't exactly dirt cheap, and the rifles themselves are getting harder to find). A scope mount and decent rings can be had for another $100, and you can get a competent (not fabulous, but competent) scope for $200-300. The iron sights themselves are rather good, so I might even try using those before going ahead and scoping it.

After firing only a couple dozen rounds through mine, I am in love with the Schmidt-Rubin straight-pull bolt action.

mustanger98
May 22, 2006, 11:35 PM
While I've heard plenty of good about the K31 Swiss (and I've been thinking of picking one up), my mind emmediately goes to the M1 Garand (some can still be had for under $500), US Enfield M1917, M1903A3... and the Savage Model 11 in .308 or Model 111 in .30-06 which were around $400 in my part of the country when I got mine in .243Winchester. If you go with the Savage "Hunter Series" rifles, if they still have sights on the barrel, you can change the rear sight out for an aperture.

If you handload, you can make a cartridge more accurate for your rifle than what you'll buy off the shelf.

In case ya'll haven't guessed, I ain't gonna discuss glass here. Some folks think irons ain't good past 25', but it ain't so.

browningguy
May 22, 2006, 11:56 PM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2684987

Savage 111 in 300 Win, or you could get it in 30-06, the scope is crap but shootable for a couple of months while you save up a little more. You'll have enough left over to buy ammo or a Lee single stage press/dies/supplies to reload with.

A decent scope starts around $200 +- for a 3-9, Nikon Buckmaster, Burris FFII, Bushnell Elite 3200, low end Leupold. By the time you get in to the 800 yard range scopes I would want (maybe 4.5-14 or so) you are up in the $300-400 range for those brands. When you go for that second scope make sure you are getting "fully multicoated" lenses.

Everyone is welcome to spend as much as they want, but you don't need a $800-1500 scope to shoot well either. I've shot with Zeiss, S&B, Swarovski, and while they are fine scopes I don't see well enough to appreciate the difference. There is a very limited time before dawn and after sunset that I have seen a difference for maybe a couple of minutes, just not enough for me to spring the cost (this relates to 40mm scopes, an 8x56mm is better even to me).

And yes,it's legal for us to hunt hogs and non-native game at night.

Davo
May 23, 2006, 12:32 AM
Ive been playing with a k31 with a bushnell tactical scope installed. I can get out to 600 easily enough, and with handloads I could get farther (ive been hunting balloons in the desert:neener: ). This rifle and its ammo were made specifically to be accurate at longer ranges.
If you are thinking about the tactical rifle route for the absolute cheapest, look for a used savage or howa. Keep in mind for long range shooting good ammo and a good scope are probably more important than the rifle used. So any new boltie will require high quality or match ammo.

Squidward
May 23, 2006, 01:53 AM
K31

Limeyfellow
May 23, 2006, 03:18 AM
You could try a Swiss M1911 over a K31. It will give you an extra 100fps and increase the effective range from about 400 metres to over 500 metres with sights going up from 1500 metres to 2000 metres with long range volley fire and such. Of course in the last few years the M1911 and K31 have switched prices with each other. Both will be fine rifles but depends on your defination of long range.

If you enjoyed reading about "Low cost, High Range Rifle...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!