Any other lefties tired of getting shafted?

PDA

MTMilitiaman
May 23, 2006, 04:56 PM
I was just cruising some websites to see what was available in terms of left-hand precision bolt rifles, esp those available in something more potent than the .308 Winchester. What I found, or rather didn't find, surprised even me.

Accuracy International, Blaser, FN, Sako, and SIG all market long range precision rifles. Only the Blaser is available with a left hand option and even then the most potent chambering to be had is the .308 Win. None of them offer anything more powerful. Apparently, lefties are only interested in varmint rifles :rolleyes:

I was kind of pondering the possibility of a left handed .338 Lapua, but apparently the only option for a lefty is to build a custom rifle on a left-handed action such as a Remington M700, which, BTW, I heard just reintroduced the Sendero. Any chances of a left handed Sendero? My guess is no. Remington thinks they are doing us a favor by offering their VSS in .308 Win--and maybe they are--it is more than other companies are doing. Even the beanfield hunting rifle concept has escaped lefties.

I know some of you are going to suggest buying a right handed rifle and learning to shoot it left handed. I adamentally reject this idea. It is ludicrous to expect lefties to spend the kind of money these companies are asking for a high end rifle and then just coping with the bolt being on the wrong side. My money is just as valuable as anyone elses and if I am spending lots of it on a rifle, that rifle damn sure better be built for me. It is frustrating to see how bad lefties are getting shafted in the market :banghead: :cuss: :fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Any other lefties tired of getting shafted?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MechAg94
May 23, 2006, 05:45 PM
I was taught to shoot right handed as a kid so I don't have that issue. I don't think I have ever shot a rifle left handed.

I guess you are just venting.

Car Knocker
May 23, 2006, 06:15 PM
Apparently the gun manufacturers do not perceive a large-enough market to tool-up to make left-handed versions of their products. If left-handed people do not make themselves heard by writing the manufacturers demanding left-handed firearms, then they simply won't get made.

Nightcrawler
May 23, 2006, 06:19 PM
Many people will say that you should "just shoot right handed". To those people, I say this: do all of YOUR shooting with your weak hand and non-dominant eye and see how well you do. Yes, you'll get better, but if you're pretty good weak side, you're probably very good strong side. Why handicap yourself by shooting wrong sided?

Unfortunately, Car Knocker is right. Manufacturers won't make these guns unless they perceive a demand for them. The lack of left-handed bolt guns is one reason I've never gotten in to shooting them. The only bolt gun I've ever owned was a Hungarian (I think) M44 Nagant carbine.

Wes Janson
May 23, 2006, 06:21 PM
Shooting a bullpup rifle is no fun either, as I found out two weeks ago. Beard-induced malfunctions are rather annoying.

MTMilitiaman
May 23, 2006, 06:39 PM
Beard-induced malfunctions are rather annoying.

Ouch!

Even if you are left handed and do okay with a right handed bolt rifle, don't tell me a left-handed AI or Sako TRG-42 wouldn't appeal to you if you were looking for a long range, 1000+ meter rifle.

The strange thing is that there are more lefty bolt .50s than there are .338 Lapuas. But these are big and bulky and not very practical, IMO.

Specialized
May 23, 2006, 06:46 PM
Have you looked at Brownings, or Kimbers? I don't know what features you specifically refer to when you talk about "precision" rifles, but they have some big-bore left-handed bolt guns in the A-Bolt II series that are as accurate as any precision rifle I know of. I've owned several and have three now, and am about to buy either a .300WSM or .325WSM at some point here soon. An example: I had an A-Bolt II Medallion in 7mm Remington Magnum, with the BOSS system, that would consistently shoot Winchester Supreme Ballistic Tips into a 5/8" group at 100 yards.

A-Bolts come in long-action calibers up to .338 Win and .375 H&H, too. Kimber's making some bigger-bore leftie rifles as well, I think. When you say "precision", are you talking about special-purpose calibers only or bigger-bore calibers in general?

I'm with you on the left-hander issue, though -- my personal pet peeve is holsters!

Raygun
May 23, 2006, 08:58 PM
Yeah, it does suck that us lefties get screwed out of some of these cool precision rifles, but what can you expect? We make up, what... 10% of the population? Personally, I'm amazed that as many companies offer as many lefty bolts as they do. That said, I wouldn't buy a right handed bolt rifle and shoot it left-handed. I've done enough of that and I don't like it.

You can custom build an extremely nice rifle on an M700 action usually for much less than some of these precision rifles cost OTC. I wouldn't mind having a lefty 700 Sendero in .338 Ultra Mag, but it's pretty far down on my list of priorities (behind the Savage 10FLP in .308, and the custom Montana Rifleman in .260 Rem).

Does anyone know if the Savage long action will take .338 Lapua? That might make a nice package.

On a related note, JR at RTS Manufacturing (http://www.rts-manufacturing.com/) is making me a custom lefty tactical sling for my AR15 for $20. Thought you other lefties might be interested.

esheato
May 23, 2006, 09:05 PM
I'm a lefty and it sucks. I make up for it by saving up and buying nice custom guns rather than run of the mill Remingtons or Savages. I'm happier in the long run anyway.

My Cooper is a left handed bolt action and it's a sweet shooter.
My HS Precision is a work of art....left handed bolt action.

I'm not complaining a bit.

Ed

mustanger98
May 23, 2006, 09:35 PM
I have a left handed Savage Model 11GL I'm perfectly happy with as it does what I want it to do for me. Otherwise, I pretty much stick to leverguns or a Garand. I'm fine with it.

I do agree though that it don't make a whole lot of sense for some right handed people to say everybody oughta shoot right handed. I'm right handed, but I shoot left handed because of my dominant left eye. I actually do better that way. I disagree with the way the manufacturers do not producing enough left handed rifles that most everybody can get what they want. When I got my Savage, I was looking for a Model 70 Classic Compact, but guess what... no left handed Classic Compacts. I thought about getting the full sized Model 70 in .30-06, but I was after a .308 or .243 and that's what I got. Remington don't make a left handed Model 7 last I knew either. Savage beat Winchester and Remington both on left handed rifles, so I got the Savage.

blackhawk2000
May 23, 2006, 09:40 PM
The safety is the biggest issue I have. I think I like the controls on a righty better for shooting left handed, on almost everything I own, except the safety.

MTMilitiaman
May 24, 2006, 12:07 AM
My first hunting rifle was a right handed Rem M700. I hunted with it for several years--long enough to know that it was possible to become profecient with it, but also long enough to know it was a PITA and I no longer cared to deal with it when I was paying the same amount, or even more so, of the same money. I now hunt with a left-handed BDL in 7mm Rem Mag.

My brother just got an AR-50. It's a sweet rifle. But I got to thinking...you can't use it for anything. The damn thing is so heavy you have to transport it in a truck. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I'd rather have something more practical (read: "portable"). That is why I was thinking .338 Lapua. Even with a heavy 26 to 28 inch barrel, most .338 Lapuas don't weigh much more than a heavy barreled .308 Win. You can find plenty of .338s in the 12 to 15 pound range. Add a scope, bipod, and some ammunition and the entire shooting system could feasibly round out to 18 to 20 pounds, or a little more. This is about half of what a .50 weighs but could provide about 2/3 of the range. It seems like this would be a rifle you could realistically find a use for. Even as a bench or competition rifle, I think the sacrifice in range would be worth it in some instances. But there just isn't any choices available for left-handed .338 Lapuas set up for 1200 to 1500 yards. That is what I am talking about--not just hunting rifles with big scopes--but shooting systems engineered to reach out and touch something.

Oleg Volk
May 24, 2006, 01:05 PM
http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/6980-2/rightrifle1244.jpg

Try http://gunsmith.net

bowfin
May 24, 2006, 01:26 PM
I did a poll on the Nebraska Game & Parks website, and the number of shooters who shoot lefthanded was greater than 10%. It was over 15%. Evidently there are a number of righthanded people who shoot lefthanded due to left eye dominance or orther reasons.

I can't say as it ever bothered me to shoot RH bolt actions, though.

As far as "precision" rifles with more oomph, take a look at a Remington 40-XB in these calibers:

.300 Winchester Magnum
.300 Remington Ultra Mag
7mm Remington Magnum
7mm Shooting Times Westerner
7mm Remington Ultra Mag

I don't think they make a LH Model 700 or 40-XB in .338 Remington Ultra Mag, but I think one could be ordered easily enough from the Custom Shop. Factory loads with a .338 Remington Ultra Mag are within 100 fps of factory loaded .338 Lapua ammunition.

MTMilitiaman
May 24, 2006, 02:08 PM
I asked Armalite if they were planning on offering their AR-30 .338 Lapua in left-hand and they said they aren't working on it now, but if they get enough interest they are open to the possibility.

Trip20
May 24, 2006, 02:59 PM
I'm a lefty who learned to shoot using right-handed bolts. In fact, I do not own a left-handed firearm of any type.

I've gotten so used to right-handed bolts, that when shooting a fellow co-workers lefty bolt this past summer, it felt pretty awkward. I've been brain-washed!!! :)

I wish the selection were greater, but after becoming so comfortable with righty bolts, and being able to have what I consider fast enough follow up shots, it's almost a non-issue.

I think my opinion is definitely related to the fact that I did not learn to shoot left-handed, and therefore have not spent enough time with a left-handed bolt to appreciate the ergo's and ease of use.

JohnBT
May 24, 2006, 04:16 PM
www.newultralight.com/HTML/custom-rifles.html

From .22LR up to...

"The Model 40 is built for the most powerful magnums available, such as the .416 Rigby. This rifle represents the ultimate combination of power and light weight available to the dangerous game hunter
$3,200 (left-hand add $100)"

WayneConrad
May 24, 2006, 04:22 PM
I'm right handed but left eyed, so whether I shoot a bolt gun leftie or rightie, it's going to be one kind of awkward or another. If I get the bolt handle mounted straight up will that average the difference? ;)

AZgunstudent
May 24, 2006, 05:36 PM
It's just economics. I work for a holster company. 5.3% of our sales for the last several years were for left-handed models, which doesn't begin to cover the costs of putting a new holster design into production.

Basically, since it's not simply a matter of flipping over the pattern on a lot of holsters, all design time, patterns, dies, molds, general tooling and short run production costs for the 5.3% are essentially subsidized by the right-handed 94.7%. Quite honestly, we could make more money spending that time and production capacity making more right-handed holsters -- but of course that's not the "right" thing to do, at least for us.

This is just for holsters. R&D, tooling, etc. costs have to be astronomically higher for a firearm.

olyeller
May 24, 2006, 05:43 PM
Ah, but do you offer all the same models for leftys as you do rightys? Are they as available as the RH ones (in stock)?
To say that 5% of your sales are LH holsters when you offer a few tokens could be misleading.
and, if so, is the fact that you carry LH holsters advertised by your company well enough?
As a lefty I assume by default, that a company doesnt carry lefty stuff, or if they do, its special order.

GunnySkox
May 24, 2006, 06:05 PM
Thought: Assuming that the bolt turns counterclockwise to unlock; on many rifle designs, couldn't the bolt handle just be designed to be reversible? That is, you screw it in for a righty, and you grab it from the right side, lift up, and pull back to unlock and open the bolt, yeah? Or you put on the left-handed handle, and push it down and then pull back to unlock and open.

Wouldn't it be pretty simple to make a bolt whose back-end portion was replaceable so's you could have a left or right handed rifle at the drop of a hat? Not that I know a dadgum thing about anything with respect to manufacturing firearms, mind you, but it seems like a pretty simple concept.

~GnSx
Ever since I started using Firefox, playing Guild Wars, and lusting for AR-15s, I've started thinking that EVERYTHING should be modular and plug-in-able and personalizeable. What do you mean I can't put Adblock on my toaster? This is an outrage! Have you seen its pop-ups?! :D

MTMilitiaman
May 24, 2006, 06:34 PM
It's just economics. I work for a holster company. 5.3% of our sales for the last several years were for left-handed models, which doesn't begin to cover the costs of putting a new holster design into production.

Basically, since it's not simply a matter of flipping over the pattern on a lot of holsters, all design time, patterns, dies, molds, general tooling and short run production costs for the 5.3% are essentially subsidized by the right-handed 94.7%. Quite honestly, we could make more money spending that time and production capacity making more right-handed holsters -- but of course that's not the "right" thing to do, at least for us.

This is just for holsters. R&D, tooling, etc. costs have to be astronomically higher for a firearm.

That is for handguns though. A left handed bolt rifle can use the same case as a right handed one just as conveniently. Plus with holsters, you are competing against everyone else that offers a left handed holster. Here, there is no one to compete against. If a company offers a left-handed "tactical" .338 Lapua, they essentially have a monopoly for any southpaws looking to shoot something big or far.

I am even willing to pay more because I realize the economics are difficult. I just don't think there should be no options. I'd almost completely lose interest in a .50 caliber right now if I found a left-handed TRG-42 or AWM .338 Lapua.

CB900F
May 24, 2006, 06:57 PM
MtMilitiaman;

Here, I'm in Montana & my battery includes all LHB guns in the calibers I wanted them in. One of them happens to be a Winchester .338 magnum, which could be reamed to Lapua I'd think. Haven't looked into it though as I've never seen the need.

If you're left dominant eyed, shooting a right hand bolt gun is neither necessary nor desirable IMHO. You can, if you apply yourself, find guns capable of taking any game in the western hemisphere. I've no desire to own a .375 H&H or a .458 Winchester magnum, but if Africa is your dream, go to MRC & place the order for either the gun or the action. Dakota will do it too, but for more money I'd think.

What's all the fuss?

900F

MTMilitiaman
May 24, 2006, 08:00 PM
How many times do I have to say this?

I am not looking for a :cuss: hunting rifle. I have a hunting rifle. I am looking for a long range precision rifle capable of reaching out to 1500 yards or so that is more portable (and thus, practical, IMO) than a .50 caliber. But such a rifle doesn't seem to exist because manufactures don't seem to think lefties are interested in long range riflecraft.

THAT is what all the fuss is about.

Euclidean
May 24, 2006, 08:14 PM
God plays a joke on every shooter. I'm not left handed but I do have bad eyes and ham hands.

blackhawk2000
May 24, 2006, 08:45 PM
Have you checked The Leftorium?

Seriously though, you can't find a custom maker to make you a left handed, tactical, long range rifle?

ETA: reread your first post. how much more would a custom build be?

JohnBT
May 24, 2006, 08:49 PM
1500 yards?

"Any chances of a left handed Sendero?"

Will a Sendero shoot little groups at 1500 yards?

The only 1000-yard rifles I've seen have been custom jobs from the ground up.

John

Mannlicher
May 24, 2006, 08:51 PM
shafted? Hardly. Its all about the money, my friend, and with 90% (or whatever the percent is) being right handed, well.............

SnP
May 24, 2006, 08:55 PM
I'm left handed, but I can shoot either way. It doesn't really matter.

CB900F
May 24, 2006, 09:25 PM
MtMilitiaman;

Oh, I see! The Dakota or MRC actions aren't suitable because they're used on hunting rifles? But, if that is a sticking point, you can still do what you say you'd like to do, if you'd go look for the solution.

Look at Nesika, or Benchrest.com

900F

mustanger98
May 24, 2006, 09:38 PM
That is for handguns though. A left handed bolt rifle can use the same case as a right handed one just as conveniently.

Actually, that depends. My left-handed Savage Model 11GL won't really do that well in my saddle scabbard designed for right-handed scoped bolt actions because the rifle's bolt handle and the scabbard's bolt handle cut-out are on opposite sides to where they need to be. Opposites don't always attract.

MTMilitiaman
May 24, 2006, 10:56 PM
Is it even possible to get the Remington Model 700 to accept the .338 Lapua? That is the action I am familiar with so that would be my first choice for a custom rifle. The way I see it, I would have to have the bolt face reamed from .534" to .588" and a Sako extractor installed and tuned. But then you still have to find a magazine box that can accomidate the case. I believe the Rigby case on which the Lapua is based is wider even than the .404 on which the Ultra Mags are based. Maybe someone, somewhere deep in Brownells, makes an aftermarket follower? Even then, you'd probably be limited to 2 rounds in the magazine box. If not, that puts a hex on the custom rifle project right there. Yeah, I know, the .338 Ultra Mag gets very close, but somehow doesn't have the jazz of the Lapua, which history has recorded as one of the first cartridges designed from the ground up specifically for this sort of work. If I am doing a custom rifle, I want it to be exactly the way I envision it. That is what you pay for in a custom rifle. But even here, it appears I can't get what I want.

You could maybe go with an aftermarket action like the HS Precision or even the M1999, but they are far more specialized and don't offer the number of options and accessories available to the Remington M700. For example, would they allow a big beefy 1913 Picitanny style scope rail such as the Badger Ord? It would be so much simpler if a company just offered their rifle in left hand. Even if I had to pay a couple hundred bucks more.

TX_RGR
May 25, 2006, 12:17 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that lefties are really ambis who dont know it yet :) I don't have any problem with rh firearms, in fact, there are many that I feel give me an advantage in reach and/or speed for things like safties and mag/slide/bolt release. I never have to release my dominant hand, or alter position, and my index finger can reach things the rh thumb cannot. :neener: It's a matter of perspective, really. Improvise, overcome, adapt! :cuss:

4v50 Gary
May 25, 2006, 12:38 AM
Funny, but there are some right handed snipers who prefer a left handed bolt action. Why? Their trigger hand, the right hand, remains on the pistol grip and the left hand cycles the action. This is for benchrest or prone shooting where the foreend is supported by a beanbag, rock or bipod. The same technique would work for a left handed person using a right handed gun.

CB900F
May 25, 2006, 10:17 AM
4v50Gary;

That'll work if and only if the wrist is deep enough to let the bolt go over the top of your thumb without taking any meat off. For the price of a custom stock, I'll go LHB.

I learned, perforce, to shoot with right hand bolt guns. Even got all the gongs for NRA 50 foot indoor with right hand guns. Making a timed shoot in a sling is an adventure for a leftie with an RHB. Those who have also been there will certainly know what I'm talking about.

But, since those dark days, I've simply made up my mind to use the proper equipment with the bolt on the proper side of the action. It can be done, equipment can be found. The world is not going to beat a path to your door trying to provide it for you, however. Finding what you want, or need, requires searching, and sometimes schemeing. So far, I've been able to meet my requirements.

I do know that many 1000 yard shooters are now using 6.5 & 6mm wildcats based on the .284 Winchester case. For competition, the recoil factor favors the smaller bullet with the higher B/C.

900F

AZgunstudent
May 25, 2006, 10:47 AM
At the risk of hijacking this thread:

Ah, but do you offer all the same models for leftys as you do rightys? Are they as available as the RH ones (in stock)?
To say that 5% of your sales are LH holsters when you offer a few tokens could be misleading.
and, if so, is the fact that you carry LH holsters advertised by your company well enough?
As a lefty I assume by default, that a company doesnt carry lefty stuff, or if they do, its special order.

We make about 90% of our holsters in right and left hand, and several of our holsters are ambidextrous. That's more than a token number. For about 30 years it was 100%, but we just couldn't justify continuing that policy based on sales. Naturally we don't keep on hand as many left-handed holsters as right-handed, since demand is so much smaller. They aren't special order items if you buy direct, but very few dealers stock left-handed holsters.

As far as advertising, we always depict right-handed holsters in our print ads, since that covers 95% of our customers. Also, our catalog model (me :rolleyes: ) is right-handed. Our catalog notes which holsters are available for which hand. But spending lots of advertising dollars chasing 5% of our clientele wouldn't be an effective use of our limited advertising budget.

pdowg881
May 25, 2006, 11:05 AM
I shoot lefty, but would prefer a righty rifle. I am right handed left eye dominant, so working the bolt is much easier with my right hand. But the left hand for the trigger is no problem either becuase I've been playing paintball for years which in speedball frequently requires you to switch hands to lean and shoot. So even though I shoot lefty, I would hate a lefty rifle. It would feel very awkward to work the bolt with my left hand. The only bad thing is the brass flying across your face. But I pick up righty guns and can naturally use them without any problems so I guess I'm lucky in that sense.

ny32182
May 25, 2006, 11:26 AM
Funny, but there are some right handed snipers who prefer a left handed bolt action. Why? Their trigger hand, the right hand, remains on the pistol grip and the left hand cycles the action. This is for benchrest or prone shooting where the foreend is supported by a beanbag, rock or bipod. The same technique would work for a left handed person using a right handed gun.

I shoot only left handed. In my limited experience with bolt guns, I've always been curious as to why they would put the charging handle (or whatever it is called) on the right side of the rifle, requiring the right handed shooter to move his strong hand grip in order to operate the action. Make mine a right handed action so I can operate it with my right (weakside) hand.

Same goes for semi's; I'm quicker reloading an AK than an FAL because I can operate the AK's action with my weak side hand. The FAL requires much more shifting of the rifle, but I imagine right handers are better with it. Both are still slow compared to an AR though, for me.

MTMilitiaman
May 25, 2006, 01:03 PM

I considered this. But with hunting rifles that may be shot offhand, I've tried both and it is much easier to be fast and profecient when the bolt is on the left side of the rifle. This allows the right hand (which in my case is my dominant hand since I am right handed and left eye dominant) to support the forend of the rifle and to follow or lead the target. Since I am so used to flicking my left hand up to operate the bolt, I don't want to change back and forth between rifles. I figure if I am all proned out trying to gauge wind and distance, there will be plenty for my right hand to do to allow my left to work the bolt--such as making scope adjustments.

All I wanted was something lighter than a .50 that I could use to bust cinder blocks at 1000 yards and maybe shoot for groups against my bro at 1500 yards or so. I didn't think it had to be a long complicated process. It is a rather simple proposition for a righty and it is, IMO, simply inexcusible that it is so damn complicated for a lefty.

I cruised their sight and from what I can tell, the Montana action isn't available with a .588 bolt face. So that option is out. Dakota used to offer their Longbow Tactical in left hand but don't list that option on their sight any more. Brownells can special order the action in left hand, but there is no way I am paying $2500 just for the freaking action. Hopefully the Nesika Bay will be a little more sane. I've already contacted them and asked for a catalog to see which of their actions are available in left hand.

Trip20
May 25, 2006, 02:57 PM
I figure if I am all proned out trying to gauge wind and distance, there will be plenty for my right hand to do to allow my left to work the bolt--such as making scope adjustments.
You can't cycle the bolt and adjust windage/elevation at the exact same time. Even if supported by bags doing both tasks at the exact same time is cumbersome with any bolt gun right or left handed. So the extra milli-second(s) it takes to use your right hand to work bolt, then go up for the windage/elevation is really no big deal, is it?

Especially if all you will use the rifle for is:

All I wanted was something lighter than a .50 that I could use to bust cinder blocks at 1000 yards and maybe shoot for groups against my bro at 1500 yards or so.
Then a right handed rifle will suit you fine. It's not a timed shoot. You'll be firing at long distances with what might be described as slow aimed fire at your leisure during some friendly target shooting.

MTMilitiaman
May 25, 2006, 03:19 PM
I fear your reading comprehension is beyond help. I already explained why I don't want a right handed bolt action.

I used adjusting turrents as an example to demonstrate that just because I have a left handed bolt doesn't mean my right hand is completely useless. I can find things to do for both hands, even if not at the same time.

The vast majority of right handed shooters would be pretty pissed if they had to spend thousands of dollars on a shooting system with the bolt on the opposite side as every other bolt action rifle they owned, or were otherwise expected to simply cope with a rifle obviously built with little or no concern given to their comfort and convenience. These rifles are not cheap. A shooter, regardless of what hand they use, should not be expected to compromise after spending that much money. That is what this is. If right handed shooters demanding left handed bolts for the sake of convenience was common, then left handed bolts would be available. But they aren't. Because the vast majority would view the bolt being on the wrong side as a compromise--as do I--and I find it infuriating that I am somehow just expected to do this and cope despite having spent the same money.

Trip20
May 25, 2006, 04:07 PM
MTMilitiaman,

My reading comprehension is just fine. You are correct; you've explained why you do not want a right-handed bolt rifle, a summary of which is found in your first post:

I know some of you are going to suggest buying a right handed rifle and learning to shoot it left handed. I adamentally [sic] reject this idea. It is ludicrous to expect lefties to spend the kind of money these companies are asking for a high end rifle and then just coping with the bolt being on the wrong side. My money is just as valuable as anyone elses [sic] and if I am spending lots of it on a rifle, that rifle damn sure better be built for me. It is frustrating to see how bad lefties are getting shafted in the market

In fact, my reading comprehension is so good, that's it now evident to me you do not want a discussion nor do you want suggestions/alternatives. You would much rather rant, and be rude at times. Had I discovered this earlier I would have neglected to post – my mistake.

I only attempted to suggest that the options available are not necessarily a compromise of devastating proportions with respect to the intended use of the rifle described by you (i.e., shooting formed concrete blocks at 1500yds). But, you appear to have a hard time comprehending my suggestion due to your, “just because they can have it I should be able to have it” mindset.

I’m a lefty and I agree it’s iniquitous that we do not have the same options available, as do our right-handed brethren. You’ll get no disagreement or lack of understanding from me on that point.

Unfortunately, due to the market as describe earlier in this thread, your search is a difficult one unless you want to spend quite a large sum of money.

So, good luck with finding a gun to suit your needs. I'll leave your thread alone.

MTMilitiaman
May 25, 2006, 04:28 PM
I apologize if I come off as rude, but this has been somewhat of a rude awakening to me. I expected this to be as easy as finding a left handed hunting rifle to suit my needs, but it hasn't, and I wasn't prepared to repeat myself again.

The real reason I don't want a right handed rifle is this:

I considered this. But with hunting rifles that may be shot offhand, I've tried both and it is much easier to be fast and profecient when the bolt is on the left side of the rifle. This allows the right hand (which in my case is my dominant hand since I am right handed and left eye dominant) to support the forend of the rifle and to follow or lead the target. Since I am so used to flicking my left hand up to operate the bolt, I don't want to change back and forth between rifles.

I am perfectly willing to discuss, but I think I have been very clear what I am looking for. I have a very specific goal in mind and it is frustrating to have something suggested that is very clearly not what I am looking for.

rfurtkamp
May 25, 2006, 05:28 PM
To echo what has been said about the industry, as the resident lefty (who shoots mostly righty and only does lefty to smoke the really snobby pistol shooters at the range after doing it once with a non-dominant hand :) ), I get requests for lefty guns from less than 1% of customers. Even in a tactical rifle heavy shop, where we're stocking everything short of Title II firearms (and soon, to be handling that too), the majority of sales are from mundane weapons like five shot revolvers, the venerable 1911, the Sigs, and the AR-15s. I can count the # of people who have purchased .50s or .338s or inquired about them seriously in the last five years on less than fingers and toes. None has ever asked about lefty choices - even when they know I myself am one.

You're looking for a niche of a niche market so small that I don't consider 2.5k for an action to be unreasonable in all honesty - it'd be like asking for a one-off every time you bought a gun for anyone else.

cmidkiff
May 25, 2006, 05:34 PM
My father is left handed, I learned to shoot and fish with him. He shoots right handed, as he's right-eye dominant, so that wasn't a problem, but I learned to fish with a left-handed reel. I was never able to switch over, holding a rod in my right hand just doesn't feel right.

It's all what you get used to :)

rangerruck
May 25, 2006, 11:48 PM
seems to me savage and remmy make a larger cal lefty bolt.

farmallmta
May 26, 2006, 02:23 AM
...don't recall the calibers available though. But it's a compromise likely to either make everybody deliriously happy or piss everybody totally off! :D

Raygun
May 28, 2006, 04:24 AM
I cruised their sight and from what I can tell, the Montana action isn't available with a .588 bolt face. So that option is out.
No, they make it. Here. (http://www.montanarifleman.com/338lapua.htm)

You could maybe go with an aftermarket action like the HS Precision or even the M1999, but they are far more specialized and don't offer the number of options and accessories available to the Remington M700. For example, would they allow a big beefy 1913 Picitanny style scope rail such as the Badger Ord?
From what I understand, scope mounts made for the Winchester 70 will work on the M1999 action. Badger's P/N 306-07W should work, as should this one (http://www.kenfarrell.com/WIN-7L-1-20.html).

Hopefully the Nesika Bay will be a little more sane. I've already contacted them and asked for a catalog to see which of their actions are available in left hand.
You may have seen this already but Nesika Bay will make you an extremely nice left-handed Heavy Tactical Rifle (http://www.nesika.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Tactical-Rifle) in .338 Lapua for @ $5,750 (up in the AI price range, there). Not sure about prices on their M action only, though.

Personally, I'd look into a 700LH in .338 Ultra Mag from Remington's Custom Shop. Anything one could pull off with a .338 Lapua, one should be able to do just as well with the .338 Ultra Mag. From what I've seen, ballistic performance is pretty much identical (everywhere I look, they're within 100 fps of each other, no matter the bullet). Honestly, why give a crap what the cartridge was designed for? It's the performance that matters and between these two particular cartridges, the shooter is going to be the major deciding factor by far when it comes to putting the bullet where it's supposed to go. I'd be interested to know for sure if the Kwik Klip DBM Kit (https://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=954880&chrSuperSKU=&MC=YJ) is compatible with either of them. Not looking good, but maybe... 7-8 rounds of big .338 would be nice.

telomerase
May 28, 2006, 12:04 PM
You weirdos COULD just change your unnatural "orientation" and "lifestyle". But no, you'd rather try to change the laws, even to the point of being allowed to teach in schools with normal children.

Haven't you wondered why Halliburton just got awarded another $400 million to build "detention centers" in the US? I suppose you thought it was for migrant workers, or maybe owners of politically suspicious calibers like .338 Lapua. Won't you be surprised.

CB900F
May 28, 2006, 02:10 PM
Telo;

Leave the mayo out, today's a bad day for you. Eat it tomorrow.

900F

Harold Mayo
May 28, 2006, 10:12 PM
Just one more minority wanting the majority to bend over backward for them.

Petition the government and they'll probably pass some sort of law requiring all firearms manufacturers to give equal rights (no pun intended:eek: ) to all of you lefties.:neener:

garrett1955
May 28, 2006, 10:54 PM

mustanger98
May 29, 2006, 11:08 AM
There's several left-handed shooters (myself included) on the sillouette line at my local club. Nobody seems to think anything of it. Nobody bends over backwards, but we all make arrangements when and where it's necessary. We all also adapt to situations designed for the opposite (right vs. left handed). As far as which side the bolt handle's on, that can be harder for some than others depending on whether you're a true left-hander or just left-eye dominant.

This is another subject that's been beat to death several times.

MTMilitiaman
May 29, 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the research.

Raygun
May 29, 2006, 03:35 PM
No prob. As you can probably tell, I'm interested in this as well. Let me know how it turns out for you. :)

benor
June 8, 2006, 08:33 PM
I hunt deer and elk with a left handed SAKO 7mm Mag. I also have a Rem 700 BDL in 30.06. Both are great shooters, but both have considerably more recoil than my dad's identical right handed configurations shooting the same loads.

My SAKO is not a Tikka. Tikka has too much plastic for my taste.

I'm about to buy a left-handed Savage 10FLP in .223. I'm looking for a tack-driving plinker with more distance than a .22.

Good luck.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any other lefties tired of getting shafted?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!