Another newbie question- lubing

PDA

chaim
April 27, 2003, 05:02 PM
OK, this is probably pretty simple but I'm guessing my answers will be all over the place.

All the reloading manuals I've read say to lube your cases if you use steel dies but you don't need to with carbide dies. However, some people still seem to lube with carbide. Why?

Is there anything gained by lubing cases if you use carbide dies? Given that most manuals say it isn't needed am I really losing anything if I don't? How often do cases tend to get stuck in a carbide die?

What do you do?

OK guys, I think that it is it. Thanks in advance for your answers (wow, a short post by me, who wudda thunkit:evil: ).

If you enjoyed reading about "Another newbie question- lubing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeeper
April 27, 2003, 05:45 PM
A lot of people still lube using carbide including me. It just makes for less effort in reloading. Try for yourself. I think that lubed cases are just easier on your equipment. The only cases you really need to worry about getting stuck in the die are bottlenecked ones. Straightwall wont tend to stick. I use Hornady ONe shot lube since it dries after it is applied. I think it is the easiest to deal with.

HSMITH
April 27, 2003, 07:29 PM
Some tapered cases, like 9mm, are a PITA to size even on big heavy presses. A bit of lube every 6-10 cases goes a long ways to reduce effort and speed up the loading process. I too use Hornady One Shot, but I use the paste form. 45acp and the like are dead easy bone dry, 9mm and 38 special are much more difficult.

Fatelvis
April 28, 2003, 01:58 PM
I think the lube would create less resistance, and lessen the effect of the expander ball pulling the neck forward, (on rifle ctrgs), and messing up the shoulder`s angle. However, I dont lube, and have no problems using carbide dies for pistol, or for neck sizing rifle- Reddings Titanium Nitride bushings and carbide expander balls.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another newbie question- lubing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!