.22 Caliber recommendations

PDA

Falcontech
May 24, 2006, 05:15 PM
I am looking to eventually purchase a .22 rifle for target shooting with family, etc. I am just looking for anyone's opinion as to what to get. Brands, models, features, etc.

Thanks,

Falcontech....

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Caliber recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Poodleshooter
May 24, 2006, 05:37 PM
For newbie shooters check out Marlin Firearms,CZ and Ruger. I'd go with a bolt action Marlin,personally. They're versatile and quite accurate.
Check out Walmart's special order firearms section in their website online. Those prices will likely beat your local gunshop's prices.

Oldnamvet
May 24, 2006, 05:45 PM
CZ 452. Can hit a dime at 50 yds all day long. Great little bolt action.

Seancass
May 24, 2006, 05:55 PM
i second poodlekiller. marlins are my person favs. they always hit what they are pointed at. they have always impressed me. you should probly find someone with some guns so you can try different actions. levers are my favorite because they are so much fun, but they are not for everyone.

really, anything that says marlin on it gets my recomendation.

CZguy
May 24, 2006, 06:49 PM
My two favorites are the CZ 452 and the Marlin 39a.

Both a lot more accurate than I am.

wild billz
May 24, 2006, 07:36 PM
I was just making this choice myself. I bought the CZ 452 after looking at all the options, then I happened to find a LNIB Marlin 60 for 75 bucks and got that the same day.

I can say that the CZ rocks, it is a great fit and finish and very accurate, I am very pleased with the Marlin 60 too. I managed to get both that were on my short list and am happy.

Those are the ones I'd recommend after doing the research and asking the same opinions here. Left on my list is a lever gun, but not right away. by the way my best friend has the marlin 39A and its awesome. they are expensive. I bought the CZ and the 60 for way less than a 39A.

backlash
May 24, 2006, 07:46 PM
Anybody have ane experience with the Marlin 981T? I have been looking to get one of these for a while.

CB900F
May 24, 2006, 08:01 PM
Fella's;

The only kicker to a Marlin bolt gun is if your left eye dominant. Marlin makes no left hand bolt guns that I know of. Savage does make a nice little bolt-action .22, I've owned one & would own another. CZ's 452 is now also available with the bolt on the 'proper' side of the action also. :D

900F

wild billz
May 24, 2006, 08:05 PM
I looked at a Marlin 981T, it was on my list, but after looking at it, I didn't like. I don't like the synthetic stock and the trigger wasn't very good. I have not shot one, so it may be accurate, but I crossed it off my list after holding it.

Duneblade
May 24, 2006, 08:18 PM
I too am in the same boat as you. I will be going with a Ruger 10/22 stainless barel. The gun can get purchased at wal-mart for around 200$. There are many aftermarket items you can get for it. Therefor, it can be a fun fam/personal longerm or short term gun. From what everyone has told me there is little diffrence between a Marlin, and a Ruger in regards to accuracy. Anyway just my 2 cent.

borrowedtime69
May 24, 2006, 08:36 PM
ive been heavily into .22's for about 20 years and have owned many. here's the list i recommend....

For a semi auto that you can later work on and rebuild into a real shooting machine caue theres tons of accessory parts on the market for them, including barrels, target hammers, stocks, mags, you name it; get a Ruger 10/22 price, between Used to new - $110 -$200. first modification i would do is to buy a Power Custom target hammer to get the heavy trigger pull down to a managable 2 1/2 pounds!

For a great little semi auto thats accurate and reliable right out of the box, get a Marlin 759. price usually $100 --> $140

For a really good lever action i recommend a Marlin 39A. all steel reciever. price used to new is $190--> $420

for a good bolt action, i think that a marlin bolt of most any model they make would be cost effective and accurate. cost around $125-->$180

for a good bolt that may run some $$$, get a CZ Lux .22 LR, they are the cream of the crop!

For a break action-single shot, look at New England Firearms. get one of the models that are drilled and tapped for scope base. price; $130-->$180

stay away from Remington 579's, Mossberg Plinkster. i didnt include any Savages , #1. ive never owned one, & #2. i dont really care for their looks. but from what ive heard they can be inexpensive quality firearms.

got any specific questions, please email or Private Message me through THR.org service. Best of luck!!

wild billz
May 24, 2006, 09:05 PM
CZ 452 Trainer: $221 at WalMart.

Technosavant
May 24, 2006, 09:53 PM
Before I went with a Ruger 10/22, I would go with a Remington 597. They had their teething problems, but the 3rd generation magazines have them running very nicely, and they are far more accurate than the Ruger right out of the box. Yeah, you can add barrels, etc. to the 10/22, but the 597 is already that accurate, and Volquartsen and Jarvis both make a few aftermarket items if you so choose (I tossed a scope on my $140 Wal-Mart 597, and it is a real tack driver).

A Marlin or CZ bolt action will be a touch more accurate and reliable, but I just like semiauto for .22LR, myself.

Mannlicher
May 24, 2006, 10:24 PM
Just a thought, but you may well find an older Remington 521 or 541 bolt .22 at a gun shop or pawn shop. Prices are usually much less than a new rifle, and they are very accurate.

ajax
May 24, 2006, 11:04 PM
Falcon I pesonally can't vouch for CZ or a number of other .22's ,but I can vouch for the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin model 60. My Ruger has the 20in. SS barrel and sporter stock. It's very light and very accurate it's a joy to shoot. My model 60 I recently sold to my brother was bought before I was born in 73 and is a top notch rifle. My brother was shooting budweiser caps hanging from a tree at 78 yards. My brother is a good shot but he needed a good gun to make the shot with. Just my opinion for what it's worth ,but either would be good choices.

nero45acp
May 24, 2006, 11:16 PM
CZ 452FS

nero

CZguy
May 25, 2006, 12:58 AM
From what everyone has told me there is little diffrence between a Marlin, and a Ruger in regards to accuracy

:eek: :what: The Ruger can be made to be accurate. But the Marlin 39a and CZ 452 are accurate right out of the box.

Falcontech,

You might try going to a big gun store and handling all the different brands and types to see what fits you the best.

22-rimfire
May 25, 2006, 01:07 AM
If you can find a used Remington 541S or T, you will have a beautiful man sized 22 rifle that shoots very well. I'm not a big fan of the Ruger 10/22's, but I have one with the walnut stock that shoots just fine. I just don't like the magazines. The big Ramline magazines are fun to play around with though.

Haymaker
May 26, 2006, 05:27 PM
Check out a BSA MKII Martini action target rifle, they were made and stocked with true lefthanded actions and target stocks.:cool:
They are extrimely accurate and will hold their own against Anschutz rifles codting 3 times as much.:)

dracphelan
May 27, 2006, 09:43 AM
As someone who just purchased one a couple of weeks ago, the Marlin 60. I love it. It is accurate and works well with any 22 ammo I've used.

dfaugh
May 27, 2006, 10:25 AM
Well, in the "best bang for the buck" category, I can't recommend a Marlin more highly. I have both a Model 60 and a bolt (25N?)...The Model 60 has a better scope, right now, and after trying a wide variety of ammo, and finding what it likes best, it is far more accurate than a .22 semiauto has a right to be. Its also been extremely reliable. You can buy one, plus a good set of rings and an OK scope for under $200. I think the bolt gun will be just as accurate, once I put on a better scope and test various ammo for it, just haven't spent the money/time.

If you wanna spend a little more, the CZs appear to be great, I've not heard anything bad about them, but have no personal experience with them, yet.

Sharpdogs
May 27, 2006, 10:48 AM
All the recommendations are good but the best value will probably be in the Marlin 60 or 25N. I doubt you will be disappointed with any of the choices above.

blackhawk2000
May 27, 2006, 11:25 AM
I have a Marlin 995SS. Pretty accurate little gun. I don't like Ruger, for political reasons went over here before, however they are the most modifiable ones out.

pauli
May 27, 2006, 09:25 PM
can't beat the marlin 60 for value.

can't beat the 39a... period.

i'll certainly agree with the cz 452 getting the nod in the bolt department.

if i've already recommended a semi, a lever, and a bolt... i'll also suggest a rem 572 pump, though i don't know if new ones are as outstanding as mine from the early 60's.

Sprout
May 27, 2006, 09:31 PM
I've been very happy with my Thompson Center Classic. Very accurate. There is a huge following over at Rimfire Central.

wild billz
May 27, 2006, 10:35 PM
I took my new CZ 452 Trainer and Marlin 60 to the range today for the second time. I love both of these rifles! I had the Marlin scoped, but couldnít hit anything with it (scope problems) went to iron sights and was doing just fine. I donít think Iíll scope it again any time soon. My CZ is a real accurate shooter too. Happiness is a nice bolt and semi auto in .22lr! My buddy had a Marlin 39A, SWEET RIFLE. A lever action is definitely on the list to get next. For all those looking for a .22lr I canít recommend these enough. I was torn between the semi auto, bolt, or lever, and got lucky to get 2 of what I wanted at the same time. Another range trip is on the horizon for Monday!

aaronrkelly
May 27, 2006, 11:04 PM
I have a Marlin model 60 - great gun. Bought mine new for $120 but the local gunshop has a pretty nice used one for $70 - check them out.

Also have a Henry lever action .22 - its a hoot to shoot. $200 at the big W.

Savage bolt action - gave a whole $100 for this at Waldo World with scope. Narry a problem with it to date.

First time shooter - I suggest the Marlin model 60....damn fine gun for the money. Pick up the gun, a couple bricks of .22 and a couple reactive targets for less than $200 and your set.

RustyFN
July 15, 2006, 05:06 PM
I just bought a Marlin 981T on Thursday. I took it out yesterday and was pleasantly surprised how accurate it is. I don't have any experience with any other 22 rifles but for $140 this one is hard to beat. The trigger also seemed to be good to me.
Rusty:D

rangerruck
July 15, 2006, 05:10 PM
marlin and savage, in that order if you want a low cost accurate rifle. then if you watn something not too $$$ but you may wanna keep the rst of your life , go cz. they are beautiflul and very accurate. another very good very acc, that wont break your bank is the TC. As for aftermarket anything, they just dont make them for ANY bolties, really. You notice i didn't mention ruger here, that is because you can beat them for accuracy, price, beauty, etc., with any of the above rifles.
I would suggest you go to gun stores or shows, and find any 81type series marlin. Started making them all they way back in '37, they still make the 981 today. they are tube fed, they shoot short, long, and long rifle, and they hold 17lrs, and 25 shorts in the tube! You will also have to spend a big chunk of money more, at least up to CZ LEVEL, to get more accurate consistently.

One more thing, it should be a constitutional amendment , that every man woman and child in this country should own at least one Marlin mod 60.

rangerruck
July 15, 2006, 05:13 PM
the marlin 981 us super accurate, will shoot short, ling, and long rifle, and will hold 25 shorts in the tube! think about that for a minute, you can take a 50 round box of ammo, and it will only take you reloading your tube TWICE , to empty the box!

Matt King
July 15, 2006, 05:28 PM
Can't beat the Marlin 60 for the cost, and I have had almost no problems with mine. Just be sure to use quality ammo, and you probably won't have any trouble with it.

_N4Z_
July 15, 2006, 07:21 PM
Before I went with a Ruger 10/22, I would go with a Remington 597. They had their teething problems, but the 3rd generation magazines have them running very nicely, and they are far more accurate than the Ruger right out of the box.

Hmmmm, how bout no on that one. I had a brand new 597 with all the "upgraded" parts and it was a jam-o-matic. If you want something that works like it is supposed to, out of the box, beware the 597. You doubt my word go check out rimfirecentral and have a look at all the 597 threads, in the remington forum.

I have a Marlin 925 that will shoot a spent 357mag casing at 50 yards. Will also put 7 shots into less than an inch at the same distance. It's a bolt action and is a real keeper. I've heard good stuff about the CZ's too.

RustyFN
July 15, 2006, 10:18 PM
Just one other thing to think about. It might not be important to most but it was to me. With my Marlin 981T bolt action I can shoot it right or left handed. I wouldn't want to try that with a semi-auto.

CB900F
July 16, 2006, 10:23 AM
RustyFN;

I'm most thoroughly left. Both handed & dominant eye. I've had several Ruger 10/22's over the years & have never had a problem with the ejected brass either hitting or distracting me.

However, if it's a big issue with you, take a look at the new Walther G-22 bullpup, available in right or left handed versions.

900F

RustyFN
July 16, 2006, 10:57 PM
CB900F,
It's not a big issue with me. I have never tried it. It just didn't seem safe to have my face right where the hot brass is ejecting. If you don't have a problem with it that's great. Personally I wanted the bolt action over the semi-auto.
Rusty

Jackal
July 16, 2006, 11:50 PM
You can always do what i did. Check out your local dealers for a nice older bolt action rifle, like a remington 510 or old Winchester 60 series. Usually be had for dirt cheap prices around here, and the quality is outstanding. There is just something about older guns that make them feel high quality and distinguished. They are also quite accurate. My single shot Rem 510 can roll .223 casings all day at 25-50 yds. with good ammo.

DWARREN123
July 17, 2006, 03:09 AM
Semi-auto = Rugert 10/22

Bolt action = CZ 452

IThunter
July 17, 2006, 01:53 PM
i just picked up a Savage Mark II FV this past weekend that dog can shoot it was shooting 5 round groups that were touching the entire time i was out...and for the money it definatly found a new home with me...

DonP
July 17, 2006, 02:07 PM
A used Marlin Model 60 semi-auto, around $75 to $100 in good to great shape.

A "New in Box" Model 60, stainless with composite stock, $145.

A Simmons .22 mag scope 3-9 x 40 power scope, with rings, $26.

A few boxes of Federal Auto Match amo, designed for semi auto guns, $12 for 325 rounds.

The only problem will be deciding which of your great grandchildren will get the gun in your will.

Technosavant
July 17, 2006, 02:26 PM
Hmmmm, how bout no on that one. I had a brand new 597 with all the "upgraded" parts and it was a jam-o-matic. If you want something that works like it is supposed to, out of the box, beware the 597. You doubt my word go check out rimfirecentral and have a look at all the 597 threads, in the remington forum.

My 597 must be broken then; it functions perfectly and is remarkably accurate. I don't deny that there have been some issues (mainly magazines, but those are pretty well licked), but remember you hear more bad than good online. An average 597 out of the box will outshoot an average 10/22 out of the box, and do so for a lower price. Not that the 10/22 isn't a decent rifle, but the 597 is hardly a festival of garbage.

There's so many good choices in .22 rifles, it's kinda hard to pick a bad one.

_N4Z_
July 17, 2006, 03:06 PM
yep, true, there are those out there with 597's that work. there is also a disproportionate amount of those who buy a 597 and it doesn't work as it should. 597's have a bad reputation for good reason. (had new mag, little #10 in a circle, still no worky) in remingtons defense they do bend over backwards to remedy problems, but when I buy something new I expect it to work as intended. don't want to spend money on a hassle, no thank you.

for a "new" shooter, or someone not interested in having to tweak the thing to make it work, there are better choices available.

M249MachineGun
July 20, 2006, 02:09 AM
I just bought a Marlin 60 Stainless. Its my first gun ever. I paid $180 at Walmart. I hope its as good as you guys say it is! :D

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Caliber recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!