BP Revolver

PDA

edggy
May 25, 2006, 10:44 AM
Does anyone know why we have to rely on imports to get this revolvers
that are part of our American Heritage. Now I'am told that Ruger is also a
import(second hand info). I know the demand is there for this kind of a revolver. The craftsmanship is just not there on this imports. And yes you can
get a good one but stand back if you get a bad one.

If you enjoyed reading about "BP Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
May 25, 2006, 12:01 PM
Now I'am told that Ruger is also a
import(second hand info).

To my knowledge, you were told wrong. The Old Army is a very high quality American product and not based on any guns of the past, but a modern design based on the super blackhawk .44 magnum. It's tough as nails, accurate in the extreme. It is, however, somewhat of a cult gun. BP is a small segment of the gun world and I'm not sure how many gun makers the cap and ball market could support. With all the draconian gun laws in the rest of the world and Europe in particular, the BP market is the ONLY market over there in a lot of places, hence I think the Euro production of repos.

If it's highest quality in a modern black powder revolver and target grade accuracy you want, look to the Ruger Old Army. The rest are for the nostalgia types. I think some of the Remington replicas could have uses in areas where you might want a defensive gun and laws restrict you to BP. I've seen and fired some decent quality Uberti Remmies. I don't think they're junk, anyway. The couple I've shot were pretty accurate. That's kinda why I'm thinking about getting one. And, in a five inch barrel, they're a lot more compact than the monster sized Ruger.

arcticap
May 25, 2006, 02:54 PM
When you look at the retail prices of the imports versus the Ruger, you can see why everything is imported. Plus, the Italians seem to have such a long history of gunmaking going back for centuries (handgonnes :D ), it's no wonder they have the current monopoly.
They also make a large percentage of the world's gold jewlery.
Any start up U.S. company would probably need to start large scale production in Mexico or China, how can the U.S. compete with those low labor and environmental costs now days?
If necessity is the mother of invention, then it probably just isn't necessary to build them here yet anyway.
And what if they ended up being of even lower quality then the Italian guns?
I've seen a High Standard Bicentennial .36 Colt that was a special run that was made in 1976. Now there was a beautiful American product but who's going to go out today and buy one just to turn it into a shooter?
Yesiree, Sam Colt's ghost seems to have done moved to Italy! :D

ABTOMAT
May 25, 2006, 03:20 PM
I for one wish the Italians used better steel. Seems like so many of their BP guns are made out of cheese metal.

Smokin_Gun
May 25, 2006, 04:32 PM
:eek: You must be buying the ones from Northern Italy near "Swisserland".
They are still made better stronger safer steel that the 1st generation ones. They didn't have to go to a proof house for export or have liability laws then...you can always buy a local steel conversion cylinder made from say 4041 steel. Or weigh the strengh of a $179.99 Remington replica or $250 for a Stainless Steel one against a Modern made BP in the U.S. at about $600. I have a 45 yr. old 1860 Army made in Belguim that's still shootin' jus' fine. I kinda like the replicas of originals and 3 to 1 odds myself. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Smokin_Gun
May 25, 2006, 04:44 PM
I was thinkin about this and just wanted to mention...where did Colt turn to when the factory burned down and they produced the 2nd generation Colts?
Yup Uberti of Italy... Castings and machine part were ordered sent here to Colt in Conneticut refind and exellantly finnished an assembled here in the U.S.
I think the problems we encounter are that of mass production, machinery wear, and not so good quality control.
Now if a U.S. Co. would just do what Colt did we might have less problems as the QC and labor force did a better job with assembly. But like was mentioned what would be the cost to the buyer if this was done? I do my own gun work anyway so I am happy to keep something I can repair or modify, as I will tune up one when I get it anyway..or send it back from where it came for another till I get one I'll keep.
Hell I like alright...

Steve499
May 25, 2006, 07:39 PM
There was some talk on a thread some time back where Jule of Bigiron Rifled Barrel works was considering manufacturing a replica which would be old on the outside and new on the inside. I think he could certainly make something very special and I would buy one for sure, but I would be afraid the investment he'd require might be prohibitive. Just think how cool it would be to have an 1858 Remington which was the same dimensions as an original but with springs which didn't break and a cylinder with chambers of the proper dimension for the bore, which indexed correctly and shot itty-bitty groups to the point of aim out of the box! I'm making myself crazy!

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "BP Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!