Question on S&W 340/642.

PDA

miko
May 25, 2006, 11:33 AM
I did not have a chance to pick up my 340, let along open it up so Ive never seen what it looks inside.
The 12 oz 340 is the same size and shape as the 15 oz snubs like 642. Part of the weight saved is due to the titanium cylinder but some of it is due to using much stronger aluminum, less of which could be used.
Hence there should be more empty space inside the grip/frame of 340 than, say, 642 right?

Does anyone have a picture of a 340 or 642 with grip and/or side plate removed?

Id like to know if there is enough room there to safely place a weight or a few some heavy metal like lead or silver.

miko

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on S&W 340/642." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JoeHatley
May 25, 2006, 11:40 AM
Hence there should be more empty space inside the grip/frame of 340 than, say, 642 right?

No. The dimensions are the same.

If you want to add weight, the grips would be the area to to look at. Wood grips could be hollowed out inside and lead added.

Good Luck...

Joe

scbair
May 25, 2006, 01:54 PM
Too bad they don't make a steel-framed J-frame snubby . . .:D :D

miko
May 25, 2006, 03:01 PM
I do have a steel Model 60 - but I also wanted a ligtweight pocket snubby that could handle .357 Mag. I probably would have bough a 15 ounce aluminum/steel model if one came in 357.

In any case, my reasoning is that it is always easier to add 3 ounces to a revolver than remove them.

My 686 has enough room in the handle - so I thought 340 might as well. A 340 with 3-5 ounces of silver inside would have been the ultimate emergency backup gun. :)

miko

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on S&W 340/642." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!