S&W trigger history ?

PDA

777unch
May 25, 2006, 11:54 PM
Is there one?

What's the story behind the trigger? Shape, material, and Finnish? From the S&W's i've looked at there seems to be a consistent look and feel about the trigger. It's somewhat unfinished, yet smooth to the touch. Like it's "old school" or somethin'. It gives the pistol a bit of distinctness. A historic piece on a modern firearm.

I like it. Nothing wrong with it at all. just something makes me think there's a history behind the look and feel.

I'm new to revolvers, so if this is a noob question. My apologies. :confused: i've googled to no avail. i've also tried to sign up with smith-wessonforum.com, so i could search (no search for non-members). but my e-mail address is banned. (gmail :( )

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
M :)

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W trigger history ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
May 26, 2006, 07:12 AM
Well there is a big diference in how they are made today. Older triggers were machined from forged steel and today they made using the MIM process. Shapes have never changed because long ago everyone found what works. There may be a little variation, but basically the shape is the same. The same applies to material used to make them, except SS was used until a problem was found and they went back to carbon steel. Most triggers really aren't finished. They have a color casehardening which is more for strength than appearance.

777unch
May 26, 2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks Majic.

i was hoping MIM wouldn't be a part of it. It would have more weight with me if some old timer with a winston hangin' from his lip and rock like callused hands was machining each one.

So they keep the look and feel, and went to MIM. Now the old timer is in an air conditioned room pushing buttons on a computer. Or worse, collecting unemployment. :scrutiny:

'guess i'm overthinkin' the whole thing... just looking for one of those "baseball and apple pie" stories.

M :)

Owen
May 26, 2006, 03:24 PM
The Performance Center triggers are machined, used to be by a dude named Bogdan. I don't think he smokes, and the cutting oil keeps his hands pretty soft.

Majic
May 26, 2006, 07:05 PM
The M625JM that I saw had a MIM trigger.

Old Fuff
May 26, 2006, 09:55 PM
There have been changes in the lockwork design over the years. To explain all of them would take a longer post then I can handle. Perhaps the most important one was that a foot at the bottom of the hammer allows a longer double action stroke then those found in competitor's products, and this is partly why S&W revolvers often have a superior D.A. pull

The case hardening process makes it possible for the S&W hammer to have a sear notch with less depth, and therefore a cleaner "no-creep" single action trigger pull.

scullydog
May 26, 2006, 11:55 PM
Old Fuff, are the trigger and hammer an assembly? I think 777unch was talkin triggers?:confused:

Old Fuff
May 27, 2006, 02:14 AM
You may be right.... :uhoh:

I presumed he was interested in the lockwork as a whole. So far as the shape of the trigger, or at least the part you can see, that didn't change much until after World War Two when they started offering optional wider fingerpieces that were either smooth or serrated.

Then came MIM... :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W trigger history ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!