Ways to improve my shooting?

PDA

N3rday
May 26, 2006, 12:36 AM
I don't get a chance to get out to the range much...what dry-fire or otherwise non-range exercises do you use to increase your skill with a rifle?

I have a dry-fireable rifle (SKS), snap caps, and a whole lot of time =).

If you enjoyed reading about "Ways to improve my shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnKSa
May 26, 2006, 12:42 AM
Dryfiring helps. Just shouldering the rifle and getting used to sighting at things will help.

Airguns can be a big help , provide more feedback than dryfiring and are a bit more fun too.

N3rday
May 26, 2006, 01:37 AM
Oh...also. I seem to be quite unsteady when I aim at something...dunno if it's the weight of the rifle or what, but I just can't seem to hold it as steady as I'd like to.

JohnKSa
May 26, 2006, 01:51 AM
Practice! :D

There are some good resources available from the NRA on proper shooting positions, etc. You can probably also find a club in your area that has service rifle seminars that can be very helpful.

Duneblade
May 26, 2006, 01:51 AM
If you think it is the weight of the rifle, you could lift some weights. Or do some drills with your rifle, I would recomend the weight lifting first.

10-Ring
May 26, 2006, 03:24 AM
I learned while learning to shoot handguns...There is no substitute for practice! I too am trying to learn to shoot long guns right now...I have a 10/22 and ALOT of ammo. I'm planning on several boxes to build up muscle memory & good enough technique :cool:

Lebben-B
May 26, 2006, 07:09 AM
If you have a friend nearby, you can use this drill:

Get into a prone unsupported position with the rifle. Charge the rifle. Have the friend place a coin or washer on the end of the barrel. Squeeze the trigger. The object of the drill is to hold the rifle steady enough that when the trigger is squeezed, the coin/washer remains on the barrel. Reapeat the drill until you can "fire" 10 times in a row without the coin/washer falling off. This drill works on the four fundamentals but emphasizes steady hold and proper trigger manipulation.

Solo drills include simply aiming at something and squeezing the trigger. The goal is to keep the sights on the "target" throughout the firing sequence.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Ways to improve my shooting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!