S&W Innards Question For You Gurus

PDA

BigG
May 26, 2006, 11:22 AM
I knew I hadn't taken apart a S&W revolver in some time but this was something new to me.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/BigG_photos/Picture19001.jpg

Underneath the thumbpiece part on the inside there is a small silver doohickey that slides in a verticle track. It's not held in except by the rest of the parts that assemble over it. Whatinheck is it for?

Just wondering?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Innards Question For You Gurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sgt127
May 26, 2006, 12:53 PM
What model is that? I have never seen that before either...and I have taken quite a few apart.

Pistol Toter
May 26, 2006, 01:00 PM
It does not appear in the Kuhnhausen manual anywhere; it's not the lock is it?

Kurac
May 26, 2006, 01:20 PM
You will find that small part on the .44 Magnum, it prevents the cylinder from flopping open under heavy recoil. The hand stud rides in the grove and when you pull the trigger, it locks the bolt into place so it cannot move.

BigG
May 26, 2006, 04:02 PM
Yes, that is the renowned Model 29 44 Magnum. Sorry I did not mention it. I've had the earlier version but this is after they got rid of the pin and recess. The gun is off being engraved and I forget if it is a 29-4 or -5. That must be part of the endurance package that was included after 29-3? It's heck when your memory erodes... what were we talking about? :eek: :neener:

I can visualize how it works, now that you mention it, Kurac. The part rides up with the hand and blocks the thumbpiece from moving back.

mjolnir
May 28, 2006, 04:56 AM
It's called the bolt block, and yes it's part of the endurance package.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Innards Question For You Gurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!