For those of you with Tech Sights...

PDA

STAGE 2
May 27, 2006, 04:09 PM
Is is really worth it to get the model with adjustable elevation for my SKS. It sounds like something that is neat to have, but for the limitations of this rifle is it something that will be used? My regular practice with this particular rifle doesn't take me out much further than 100yds. For those of you that have one do you use it, and for those that have the standard model do you wish you got the upgrade?

If you enjoyed reading about "For those of you with Tech Sights..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BillinNH
May 27, 2006, 04:13 PM
If you replace the front sight with a firesite, for example, you will lose the ability to adjust elevation so the elev. adjustment of the Tech becmes necessary. For standard front sights it is not needed.

Bill

R.W.Dale
May 27, 2006, 05:16 PM
The standard Tech sight allows the use of two apetures the first is for 0 to 200m flip that down and you have a 300m+ apeture.

BillinNH
May 27, 2006, 05:31 PM
Krochus, does the windage+elev. model come with two apertures or just one? Which one?

Bill

rbernie
May 27, 2006, 06:02 PM
The elevation adjustment helps get you up over the stock rear sight assembly - well worth the extra coin.....

R.W.Dale
May 27, 2006, 06:20 PM
Krochus, does the windage+elev. model come with two apertures or just one? Which one?

Bill

The standard cheap entry level tech sight comes with the two apetures.

The upgraded elevation adjustable model comes with only one. So you would have to manually click in the diffrence in ranges in a match rather than just flip to an apropriate apeture.

I feel the bottom end sight is actually a better deal especally considering that you still get a clickable windage adjustment with it. IMOP adding a fat ol firesight front bead on an SKS with a tech sight is a step backwards. Your best bet would be one of the crosshair front sights.

The elevation adjustment helps get you up over the stock rear sight assembly - well worth the extra coin.....

It's not worth the extra $15 bucks to me just to be able to leave the ugly factory sight in place, It's not like I can use both.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/Hpim0741.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/sks2.jpg

BillinNH
May 27, 2006, 09:45 PM
<Your best bet would be one of the crosshair front sights.>

Who makes these? Are they elevaion adjustable?

Bill

<

R.W.Dale
May 27, 2006, 10:04 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=693844

They would appear to be adjustable for elevation.

DMK
May 27, 2006, 10:38 PM
If you replace the front sight with a firesite, for example, you will lose the ability to adjust elevation so the elev. adjustment of the Tech becmes necessary. That's exactly what I did on one of mine, a handy 16" carbine. I love the Williams Firesight, but with it you lose the ability to adjust windage and elevation at the front sight. The adjustable Tech Sight solves that problem. The rear arperture combined with the fiber optic front sight makes for quick acquisition of the sight picture. It's a nice combination. It's not for precision, but the SKS isn't a precision rifle anyway.

However, I do prefer the standard Tech Sight. If you have an adjustable front sight, that's the way to go. Just set it to a battle zero and forget about it. I have two of those on other rifles. I'm putting an XS same plane arperture on one to get the ability to flip to the big ghost sight.

DMK
May 27, 2006, 10:42 PM

It's not worth the extra $15 bucks to me just to be able to leave the ugly factory sight in place, It's not like I can use both. It's not that you leave the factory sight on. After removing the factory rear sight, the front wall of the rear sight base gets in the way of the sight picture on some SKS. It did on both my Norincos. I solved it with a careful application of a dremel tool on one.

rbernie
May 27, 2006, 11:27 PM
It's not that you leave the factory sight on. After removing the factory rear sight, the front wall of the rear sight base gets in the way of the sight picture on some SKS. It did on both my Norincos. I solved it with a careful application of a dremel tool on one.Exactly the issue wityh my Norinco. I dremel'ed a concave slice outta the rear sight boss to get the OEM base out of view, but it would have been cleaner to simply elevate the front and rear sights out of the way instead.

roscoe
May 28, 2006, 01:25 AM
I have two SKSs with TechSights. One has the original TechSight with the factory front post, and the other has the adjustable rear with the Williams Firesignt front sight. For me, the Firesight is much more visible, but the factory post is a bit more precise.

If you get the Williams Firesight for the front, I recomment drilling holes in the sides of the shroud before installing the sight - it increases the light on the fiber-optic.

Either way, it dramatically increases accuracy, since it almost doubles the sight radius, plus makes it much quicker to acquire the sight picture. Well worth the money.

If you enjoyed reading about "For those of you with Tech Sights..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!