Undersized roundballs?

PDA

mrelijahgardner
May 27, 2006, 05:37 PM
I got some .440 roundballs for free. I agreed to atleast take them off this guys hands. Anyway the just fall out of my cylnder. Could I patch these and use them or should I just pawn them off onto someone else?

If you enjoyed reading about "Undersized roundballs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
huli
May 27, 2006, 05:53 PM
Just keep them to shoot in your 45 caliber rifle with a patch or send them to me and I'll shoot them lol.:)

mrelijahgardner
May 27, 2006, 11:09 PM
I don't have a .45 rifle. I do have a .50 could I put the round ball into a sabot and fire it. I could atleast put holes in somthing?

RyanM
May 27, 2006, 11:14 PM
I don't see why a patch wouldn't work. You could try to rig something kinda like the old paper-patched cartridges.

Third_Rail
May 27, 2006, 11:53 PM
Don't fire a revolver with a patched round ball! Bad things may result. :)

RyanM
May 28, 2006, 12:11 AM
If patches can cause bad things, you could also try tapping the balls with a hammer to bump the diameter up a bit. They probably wouldn't shoot too good, but free bullets are free bullets!

Low Key
May 28, 2006, 07:18 AM
If you're into casting, just melt them down and re-cast them to the correct size. If you don't do casting, try to trade them off for the correct size at a shop that handles bp supplies...some shops might work a trade with you, some won't, it depends on the owner and his attitude.

sundance44s
May 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
Whats wrong with shooting patched balls from a revolver .. i have a friend that always uses patches under the round balls on his colt walker reproduction .. his cylinder holes won`t shave lead so he`s always used a patch . I`d like to know what could happen from it so i can clue him in .. maybe something he doesn`t know .

arcticap
May 28, 2006, 01:39 PM
Maybe you could completely wrap each ball in the correct number of layers of printer paper like the individuals in these links advocate doing with their conicals for rifles. If you twist or seal the ends enough to contain the ball until it leaves the cylinder, it may work. They would just need to be firmly fitted into each cylinder enough to hold the ball in place without tearing off every layer of paper on the way in, and to help prevent chainfires and ball creep.
Don't some folks wrap up small shot charges this way to shoot as snake loads in their revolvers?

http://members.shaw.ca/bobschewe/

http://webpages.charter.net/fam-strick/web/PaperPatch.htm

Manyirons
May 28, 2006, 01:47 PM
Gotta 2 BORE Blunderbuss i shoot these through fer buckshot! Yep! Tha MANN gave me a HELLUAVA birthday present! Cap lock that uses 209 shottie primers, LOVE my boss!

arcticap
May 28, 2006, 02:30 PM
That must be a beauty! Holy Moly! Sounds like a naval cannon that's good for preventing mutinies! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Undersized roundballs?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!