Rock Ola M1 Carbine

PDA

Dave Markowitz
May 27, 2006, 09:13 PM
I was out today shooting my 1943 vintage Underwood M1 Carbine. As always, it's a lot of fun to shoot. I verified today that it likes Remington JSPs, so I'll lay in a supply to enhance its utility in a social encounter.

On the way home from the range I stopped in at Clayton's on PA-611, just South of the Willow Grove Joint Reserve Base. I was in the market for a companion for my Underwood, which I found in the form of a Rock Ola M1 that followed me home. A couple of pictures:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Rock_Ola_M1.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Rock_Ola_M1_top.jpg

Like most M1s, it's a mix of WW2 and postwar parts. The barrel appears to be original to the gun, being marked Rock Ola. It has a flat M1 bolt rather than the more common later round type. The rear sight is the middle-period milled unit, it has the flip-type safety, bayonet lug barrel band, and M2 wood. I'm not sure if the wood is GI or aftermarket, since it has no markings. I looked but couldn't find any importer markings, so it's possible this was one of the Carbines released for sale to NRA members back in the 1960s.

Before I cleaned it today I think the last time it was cleaned was sometime around the Korean Armistace, but it cleaned up nicely. The bore looked grungy and I even saw green fouling in the lands just inside the muzzle, but after a good cleaning with Hoppe's No.9 and Sweet's 7.62 it came out looking like a mirror.

I'm thinking about dropping it into one of the repro M1A1 folding stocks, since the wood isn't anything special. I got to shoot another guy's Auto Ordnance Carbine so-equipped today and I liked it a lot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Ola M1 Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jobu07
May 27, 2006, 09:35 PM
sweet! :D

Mooseman
May 27, 2006, 11:53 PM
Very cool. Where do you shoot? I was up route 100 with my 91/30 killing paper today. Also there's a gun show in Gilbertsville tommorow with some milsurp available.:)

4v50 Gary
May 28, 2006, 12:08 AM
Good find! It looks so pristine too.

Ezekiel
May 28, 2006, 01:11 AM
"Damn!" That was "my baby." I've been looking for YEARS. :fire:

Sunray
May 28, 2006, 01:15 AM
Forget the expensive factory ammo and work up a load with 110 HP's using IMR4227. The load I use functions flawlessly and makes a hole the size of a grapefruit in a ground hog. Surplus isn't accurate enough nor reliably available.

Dave Markowitz
May 28, 2006, 09:37 AM
Mooseman,

I was shooting at Wicen's Farm (http://www.wicenshootingrange.com/) in Furlong. It's a public range but they run a tight ship, and don't tolerate stupidity on the firing line, which I find refreshing. Their price is quite reasonable, too, only $10 for all day.

4v50,

It should look good. It had a protective crust of about 50 years of gunk on it. ;)

Ezekiel,

:neener:

DMK
May 28, 2006, 01:47 PM
That carbine's in beautiful shape. It must have set you back a few bucks. Around here and M1 as nice as that would be well out of my price range.

myusername
May 28, 2006, 01:57 PM
Nice gun, my M1 Carbine is a plainfield that is getting old. I'm getting to where I don't want to shoot it b/c I'm scared something may break in it.

I've been thinking about picking up one of the ones built by kahr/auto-ordinance.

Trebor
May 28, 2006, 10:57 PM
Nice looking carbine.

Can I ask how much?

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
May 29, 2006, 01:21 AM
Very nice Rocky.

I wanted to find a nice one for my Dad, as he was in the vending and jukebox business most of his adult life, among other things. Never did find one nearly as nice as that, though.

You've done well.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Dave Markowitz
May 29, 2006, 10:19 AM
Nice looking carbine.

Can I ask how much?

I talked him down to $650 + tax. The days of cheap M1 Carbines are long past, unfortunately.

Mannlicher
May 29, 2006, 02:57 PM
I have an Inland as well, but this is my Rock Ola. This one has the flat bolt like yours. Great shooting little carbine. I buy ammo in 500 round cans from Georgia Arms.
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Mannlicher/img1291.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Ola M1 Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!