Prefered .32 Magnum SD loads or bullets

PDA

R.W.Dale
May 27, 2006, 10:15 PM
What factory self defense loads or handloaded bullets do you fellow .32ophiles prefer and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Prefered .32 Magnum SD loads or bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mnrivrat
May 28, 2006, 01:57 AM
Well I'm using the Federal Personal Defense ammo with 85 grain JHP . As far as I can tell it looks to be as good as what is available .

No other particular reason other than it was readily available and I haven't heard of anything I consider better .

I shoot mostly .32 S&W longs for plinking and practice - a lot cheaper that way , as I haven't been hand loading anything for a number of years now.

Stainz
May 28, 2006, 08:28 AM
I bought two batches of the Georgia Arms 100gr JHP's in .32 H&RM, totalling 500 rounds, for a perspective new S&W 432PD purchase that never materialized. I bought a $300 closeout-priced Ruger 4.6" SS BHG SSM instead. After fixing it's nagging QC problems, I began shooting those GA Arms .32 H&RM's - oops! They are so nasty that the gun began having ejection problems by the third cylinder full - and was unuseable after five cylinderfulls - 30 rounds! I clean my revolvers regularly - but that ammo made the little SSM more troublesome than my cap & ball bp Ruger Old Army with fff.

I love GA Arms products - and they are fine folks to deal with. This ammo is 'hot' and nasty, however. Probably perfect for a 431/432 as SD ammo, where one cylinderfull would be sufficient. It certainly dispatches 2L pop bottles full of water in a major fashion - better than my favored 2" M10 ammo, Remington 158 gr LHPSWC +P's (834 fps from my 2" M10 - KE = 244 ft-lbs.). The first batch chrono-ed 1,117 fps, the second batch 1,156 fps - from different chrony's. If they make 1,100 fps from a 1.9" 431/432, that would be 268 ft-lb of KE - pretty decent for a relatively mild recoiling round.

I quickly added .32 H&RM/S&WL to my loading bench. My favorite load is a .32-20 bullet, 115gr LRNFP, over 2.4gr Titegroup for a 729 fps round that hits coincident POA/POI at 12-15yd - still very close at 25yd, and predictable at 100yd, too. I shot 200 of these during a day of shooting - allowing lots of cooling time, as it was a hot (90!) day. The revolver was about as dirty as it would have been after a six of those GA Arms rounds. The MagTech 98 gr LRN .32 S&WL's made a whopping 644 fps (90 ft-lbs) from that SSM, and were quite a bit of fun to plink with, even if the rebounding steel plates seemed unmoved. Odd to think that was the old Colt .32 Police Positive round of the first part of the previous century.

Stainz

May 28, 2006, 01:09 PM
I bought some of the Federal jhp's just to have some factory ammo around. I don't consider my 3 1/16" SP-101 a defensive gun but a fun gun so I didn't put much effort into searching out ammo as I handload it pretty much exclusively.

If you enjoyed reading about "Prefered .32 Magnum SD loads or bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!