So I added another wheelgun to my collection last week...

PDA

the pistolero
May 29, 2006, 01:49 AM
..a Ruger, 4" GP-100. I picked up a 2.25" SP-101 last fall, it's been and still is a great gun, but I wanted to add a bigger one to my collection, something that would handle the recoil a little better, as even a box of .357 through the little snubby beats up the hand pretty good, as most of y'all are well aware, I'm sure. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I ordered a KGP-141 (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1705&return=Y) from my friendly local gun dealer. As it happened, though, later that day, the deal came along on a Kimber Tactical Ultra II that I just couldn't pass up, so the pickup of the .357 was delayed for a few weeks. To make a long story short, though, the guy I've gotten all my guns from (with the exception of the Kimber) is an old school friend of my stepdad's ex-business partner,and he trusts me pretty well, so he let me go ahead and bring the Ruger home on the installment plan. I took it out this morning, with a box apiece of 125-grain Remington .357 Mag and 130-grain .38 Special. .357 Mag is still a handful with this gun, but not nearly so painful as it is with the SP-101, though, and the .38 Special is much better as well. I am still a novice with these calibers, as all I've handled so far on a regular basis are 9mm and .45 (more because of financial constraints than anything else), so I just took it easy today, from three yards...managed pretty well, even with the .357. I look forward to much fun with this gun...

If you enjoyed reading about "So I added another wheelgun to my collection last week..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cslinger
May 29, 2006, 02:08 AM
I love Ruger revolvers. You will have lots of Smith faithful tell you that the Ruger will never match Smith but I tend to think that is bull. I own both, have examples of both that I love but cannot say either is better then the other. I do have a Smith PC gun that is better then my run of the mill 3 inch GP but hell it should be.

That being said the key to a smooth Ruger trigger is dry firing or lots of real firing. They smooth out soooo nicely with use.

Enjoy it. The GP100 is probably one of the strongest revolvers this side of Freedom Arms.

My 3inch GP100 and she is laser accurate.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/059008.JPG

Chris

10-Ring
May 29, 2006, 02:22 AM
Nice addition! ;)

stiletto raggio
May 29, 2006, 02:27 AM
Dry firing+ Wolff 13 pound springs= amazing trigger on my Redhawk.

Jim March
May 29, 2006, 06:30 AM
The single finest DA trigger I've ever felt was on a 6" barrel GP100 at a shooting range that had had the everlovin' snot shot out of it :). Lordy knows how many rounds, and most of those likely 38s. What a sweet gun that was, trigger was unbelievable and the gun was still completely tight and right.

The S&W "Performance Center" 8-shot 357 felt like utter junk next to it.

MCgunner
May 29, 2006, 10:52 AM
Everyone NEEDS a quality medium frame DA .357. ;) Very nice gun! The triggers are easy to clean up and make really nice, too, if you don't like 'em out of the box.

Working Man
May 29, 2006, 11:47 AM
Great choice. I have a 4" and a 6" GP and will eventually get a 2.25" SP-101.
Then I may look at getting the other GP & SP barrel lengths to complete the
set.

I neeeeed to get a few other things first though. ;)

MCgunner
May 29, 2006, 03:01 PM
I'd really like to have a 3" SP101, but I've been thinking I ought to look around for a Smith K frame or Ruger Security Six at the gun shows, in Stainless. I had a Security six and it was a rather light, carryable gun. If I could get a decent price on one, might rather have it.

Don't know, though. I really, really like that little SP101. :D Just wish they'd make one available with an adjustable rear sight and maybe even a 4" barrel in .357. It'd make a super lightweight hiking companion and still be concealable IWB.

Then, I keep having these Taurus Titanium Tracker thoughts. :banghead: I wish I was rich.

the pistolero
May 30, 2006, 08:07 PM
You will have lots of Smith faithful tell you that the Ruger will never match Smith but I tend to think that is bull.

I wouldn't know about the Smith and Wessons, though I've heard nothing but good things about both S&W and Ruger revolvers. But then, the Rugers are easier on the wallet when you go to pick one up, and I've had a great experience with the 2.25" SP101, and so the GP100 just seemed like a natural choice for the next step up for this destitute college student. Perhaps some would say I should have waited until I had more money to get the Smith, and I can see where they're coming from, but I can assure you, my gun-buying days are far from over. :D I am still getting used to that looooong DA trigger pull (been shooting 1911s for the last couple of months), but like I say, much fun awaits with this one.

I really, really like that little SP101.

Yup, I like mine too, better with the .38 Special! Someone once told me I ought to take it out with a box of .357 as the sun was going down. I thought, aww, now, that sounds like a fun idea...:D

Marshall
May 30, 2006, 10:29 PM
Congrats! I need to buy one someday.

Dr_2_B
May 31, 2006, 04:00 PM
nice gun

If you enjoyed reading about "So I added another wheelgun to my collection last week..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!