which concealed and what caliber

PDA

berettashotgun
May 29, 2006, 12:44 PM
Thw wife is going to be required to carry a concealed in lieu of her sidearm on her new job. We don't have a single revolver that I like and TRUST:banghead: to get the job done. In her situation she is gonna be around a ton of cash (literally) and personally I like any round above .4 in diameter- it has to be concealed. I am willing to go to the 38 but need advice on the revolver. Have been told that she HAS to carry a revolver; price and ammo are gonna be covered. I just want the best possible piece for her to have a fighting chance- I would suspect that any B.G. would have armor and a rifle, just want her to get a round in edgewise to the artery in the leg:evil: if she has to. They are buying so I need input. She is very proficient with the Para P-12/P-14 and Beretta 8000 series, and actually causes me to be ashamed of my practical skills when she gets out he Glock 17.

If you enjoyed reading about "which concealed and what caliber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lyricsdad
May 29, 2006, 01:02 PM
glock 19, or 26..

berettashotgun
May 29, 2006, 01:03 PM
HAS to be revolver- they specified- she doesn't get to; otherwise her mind is made up

lyricsdad
May 29, 2006, 01:04 PM
model 60 smith and wesson

get her the ladysmith .357

atlctyslkr
May 29, 2006, 01:09 PM
Try a S&W 649. Very accurate for it's size and it has a shrouded hammer to reduce snags.

Tiny in Ohio
May 29, 2006, 01:19 PM
Ruger GP100 in a 3" configuration. 6 shots of .357 gives her more than a fighting chance, I would think. And it can be loaded as hot as she can handle.

10-Ring
May 29, 2006, 02:26 PM
Does your wife have a preference in frame size? I'd go w/ either the S&W 60, 66 or 686 or w/ a Ruger SP101 depending on which one fit her best ;)

Jim Watson
May 29, 2006, 02:38 PM
Concealed how?
In a holster under a jacket?
K-Smith (Model 10, 12, 13, 15, 19, 64, 65, 66) with .38 +P+ or .357 magnum.
Lots DA and speedloader practice.

MCgunner
May 29, 2006, 06:27 PM
3" Ruger SP101 .357 magnum. Small, concealable and actually shootable with .357 loads. In lieu of that, an K frame sized .357 magnum of good quality in a good concealment rig. If a 4" barrel is too long, go for a 2.5" K frame. I really like the 3" SP101, though. Go the shorter barrel if her mode of carry requires it.

Now, you might consider a Taurus Tracker in .41 magnum if you like calibers that start with 4. Also, they make a concealable .45 Colt, I believe. I've really been thinking about a .41 mag tracker lately, myself. Lot of gun for most women, but if her job requires it, I'm assuming she can shoot and probably handle it a .41 Mag. Only trouble with the idea is I'm not sure what's available in the caliber for self defense. Go with .357 and you have a huge variety of factory ammo geared to self defense/law enforcement. Not sure what's available for speed loaders in .45 Colt and .41 mag either.

MCgunner
May 29, 2006, 07:01 PM
Oh, yeah, I think Taurus still makes a .45ACP snubbie, too. It uses moon clips, of course.

scullydog
May 29, 2006, 08:59 PM
beg if you have to for the Glock 27

Whirlwind06
May 29, 2006, 09:34 PM
beg if you have to for the Glock 27

More then likely a Brinks type job. Wheel-guns only I'm sure.

Have you thought about the Charter Arms 44 spl ?

cslinger
May 29, 2006, 09:55 PM
If they are picking up the cost how about one of the below.

8 rounds of .357 magnum is nothing to sneeze at not to mention reloads with a moon clip are lightning fast.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=14810&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

Needs some smaller grips but once again 7 rounds of .357 is again nothing to sneeze at.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14796&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

yhtomit
May 29, 2006, 10:19 PM
I realize it's non-negotiable, but is there some rationale for a revolvers-only policy? (Perception of reliability?)

I've not fired enough revolvers to have a strong opinion, but I do enjoy shooting my .45ACP S&W 625, and as someone else has mentioned, Taurus I believe still makes a shorter .45ACP model. S&W briefly made a 625 in a 3" barrel, and I wish they still did; that *would* be a great one for the task you describe, if you can find one of them. But if someone else is paying, buying new is probably smarter. (Nothing against conventional revolver cartidges :) I just have two other .45s, and generally like the feel of that cartridge.)

timothy

cslinger
May 29, 2006, 11:49 PM
Revolvers are generally Keep It Simple Stupid guns. I don't mean that in a negative way as I am quite the revolver guy at heart. Many of these companies feel that the as far as liability is concerned a double action revolver is the best gun for what is seen as a largely untrained armed force.

One thing I think many of us forget though is a good .357 revolver in trained hands is one deadly piece of equipment. .357SIG is the current wunderkin round and it only "approximates" a good .357 magnum round. Always remember it is the operator not the tools. I personally would not want to go against a stone cold gun fighter with a single action revolver even if I had the latest greatest 18 shot wundernine.

Chris

depicts
May 30, 2006, 12:09 AM
I like a .45 revolver with moon clips too. They get the job done and are as fast as auto's to reload, maybe faster. A S&W 625, or even an older Mod 25 is fantastic. If the barrel is to long for concealed, maybe you pay yourself to have it shortened...I'd say my life is worth it.

I shoot some small .357's, S&W 640, ect...but think the .45 a better round for control, followup shots and effectiveness.

ARTiger
May 30, 2006, 12:53 AM
Good 'ol Mod 21. Snubbies are hard to shoot well (though shooting skills are apparently not a problem with your wife) and a bit more tube is not all that hard to conceal. This is an accurate a wheelgun as you're likely to ever see. Makes nice big holes too. I'd load it with Buffalo Bore's (14A) 180 grain JHP, 1150 FPS personal defense load.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/161238_large.jpg

If this is too much to hide, I'd probably look at a 642 with the FBI +p load.

Socrates
May 30, 2006, 01:10 AM
For me, I'd take a Freedom Arms, or Ruger Bisley, in .475 Linebaugh, or .500 JRH. Darn, where can I get this job? :D
That said, for a more practical approach:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/160932_large.jpg

Now that's sort of a heavy gun. For concealed carry, I'd take a real long look at this:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/163414_large.jpg
It's only about 26 oz, but, it would be easy to carry, and, while it's a nightmare with full house 44 mag, with lite 44 loads, or heavy .44 special loads, it might well get through most BG's, and anything they are likely to wear.
The mountain gun is an excellent weapon, and, the .44 Special/44 mag is a 329PD.
Hope this helps.

S

RON in PA
May 30, 2006, 01:30 AM
The lady needs a concealable revolver. Is she petite, heavy, tall, short etc. How will she be dressed, in a uniform, dress, suit etc. The above will have a bearing, large frame revolvers won't hack it.

Smith J frames like the 640 are easy to conceal and being all steel handle recoil better than an airweight like a 642, but the 642 can be dropped in a pocket. The Ruger SP101 is a bit larger than a 640, is strictly a belt gun and handles recoil very well.

If her size and dress allows it, a 3" K frame model 64 is a great compromise gun. It holds six shots and handles better than any J frame.

Have your wife train to shoot the revolver double action only.

S&Wfan
May 30, 2006, 01:46 AM
Hi,

A CONCEALED revolver huh?

Well, she obviously can shoot short barrelled .45ACP autos well, so she's ok on the recoil and such.

With that in mind, consider one of the hotter cartridge offerings.

A lightweight or standard weight "J" frame Smith in .357 would be very concealable but really get the job done well if needed.

The Model 65 Ladysmith would be even better if the extra size and bulk is not too much of a problem.

If she can deal with a little more size and weight . . . and still conceal it comfortably . . . it's hard to beat a .45ACP, moonclipped revolver like a Model 625 3" or a chopped Model 25-2. Mine is the latter, chopped to 3 1/8" and it's my favorite revolver . . . the one handgun out of my many I'd want in my hand in times of real trouble!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/246/246167/folders/183771/186049925-2.jpg

Also, some of the light framed "N" frame guns in .44spl., 45 Colt, .and 45ACP would be fine defensive guns.

FULL CIRCLE . . .

I'll bet you end up with a "J" frame Smith that will be very light and comfortable for the long hours, day after day of carrying something that will probably never, ever get used.

OR . . . you could find a 14 oz. Colt Agent w/ aluminum frame and SIX shots in 38spl.

CHOICES, CHOICES . . .

Those little aluminum-framed "J" frames and Colt Dectective Special guns w/ aluminum frames are so small that you forget you are "packing" sometime.

As a matter of fact . . . I just now checked my pocket . . . and its RIGHT THERE. I forgot it was in there!

S&Wfan

Dr_2_B
May 31, 2006, 03:07 PM
I'm with McGunner or Tiny above.

Stevel
May 31, 2006, 05:34 PM
"price and ammo are gonna be covered"

Korth:)

lanceman193
May 31, 2006, 05:48 PM
A Pre-lock J magnum frame .357 mag Model 649,stoked with 38 +P 135 HP.Very little recoil,easily concealed,shrouded hammer,Five for Sure!!!!!:)

gazpacho
June 1, 2006, 04:07 AM
I would buy her a pair of 642s and send them out to have the cylinders machined to accept moonclips. Also CT lasergrips if you can afford them.

1) Since she is recuired to carry concealed, I assume her position is considered less dangerous than the armored car people. Also, since they want her to carry concealed, they probably don't want her to "print", so smaller is better. J-Frame snubbies conceal really well.

2) New York Reload. If one fails, or she needs to reload really fast, nothing is faster than a second handgun. Identical guns eliminate different reload systems. Only one manual of arms to remember.

3) Moonclips are proven fast and easy reloading systems. Ask Jim Miculek. They also make ejecting empties more reliable.

4) The concealed hammer will prevent snagging on clothing. Especially floppy loose clothing which women are more likely to wear.

Majic
June 1, 2006, 05:22 AM
We don't have a single revolver that I like and TRUST to get the job done.
Honestly since she will be the one carrying the handgun what does what you like and trust have anything to do with it? This decision is entirely up to her. Let her shoot a variety of revolvers in different calibers and then she should make up her mind not you make up her mind for her.

Frandy
June 1, 2006, 09:00 AM
There are quite a few to recommend. Here's mine: S&W 640. I had a 642 but it was too much recoil for me. If I carried in the "line of duty," and it had to be revolvers, I would carry a three-inch Smith or Ruger and the 640 as my backup. By the way, I have Crimson laser Grips that will be going on this 640 tonight. Had them on the 642 and sold them with the revolver. Should have kept them.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=38648&d=1145452475

Iggy
June 1, 2006, 09:23 AM
http://iggy25.home.bresnan.net/pocketgun.jpg

Another vote for the S&W 640.

ATAShooter
June 1, 2006, 05:02 PM
A S&W 637 in .38 spl with 158 or better +P will do the job you want.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ATAShooter/jframeclose.jpg

Hook686
June 1, 2006, 06:21 PM
May 29th, 2006, 10:02 AM #2
lyricsdad

wrote:"

glock 19, or 26 . .

I realize you said she needed to get a revolver, but you did reference pistols, so I'll assume a pistol is acceptable also. I think the Glock 19, or lock 26 would be good choices. Along those same lines in an alloy frame, I suggest looking at a S&W 3913 LS, or S&W CS9 ... both are 9mm. These are pretty small handguns ( 6-7/8" & 24.8 oz. and 6-1/4" & 20 oz.respectively). I think it certainly depends upon her hand size.The 9mm I consider much like a .38 +P.

If you really must have a revolver, I would certainly look at the 442, 442LS (though 15 oz. might be a point of contention ... depends upon the little lady) the S&W 638 looks much along the same lines, size and weight.

Those seem decent choices for the smaller, not as macho, of the species, but then who knows, a S&W 325PD in .45 ACP might be just the revolver for her (7-1/4" & 21.5 oz.).

Good luck in her search ....et us know what she picks.

berettashotgun
June 1, 2006, 06:33 PM
Her job requirements include nice clothes, don't know about the jacket, she is sorta' tall, and lanky with broad shoulders.She ain't reading this:rolleyes: anyways~ the size NEEDS to be like the tarus 85, possibly bigger; but preferably as small as.. She has clearly stated that she requires above average accuracy (for her own peace of mind) and has no problem with the 38 loads- just since shooting 357 sig and 45acp realizes the importance of carrying as much as she can conceal and handle. Per legal requirements ( POS lawyers:banghead: ) she must carry a stone stock weapon with factory ammo. We might try something in 44spl- and the concealed hammer on those S&W pistols are OK with her. MAJIC- I don't claim to wear the pants 'round here- BUT - I don't have to disguise or sugar coat my concern about my wifes' safety. She wouldn't let me go to play in the sand dunes with my buddies (for a incredible amount of $$$$$) because of her fears- and I want her happy and safe. So she can come home and iron my shirts:neener: BTW- the ruger is out- we have one, and also a 65,66,686. To big.

Jim Watson
June 1, 2006, 06:58 PM
If the S&W 66 is too big, and a revolver is required, it sounds like she is going to be stuck with a J-Smith 5-shot. The best of the lot for actual shooting is the M-60 with 3" barrel and adjustable sights.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=14755&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15704

Will need a good holster for concealment and protection from snags on the draw and fraying of jacket lining.

All those extra compact hammerless snubbys are just going to be that much harder to get hits with.

berettashotgun
June 1, 2006, 07:28 PM
Jim, that looks about right. Went to the website and looked around- have never REALLY looked at revolvers and like a bunch of them. Better keep her away from the 340pd- that's light http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11601&langId=-1&productId=14765&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=24807

gazpacho
June 2, 2006, 01:33 AM
FWIW I own a 340PD and find it very managable with Speer 135gr +P 38sp. The 357mag in the same make and weight leaves me with no accuracy after the 3rd or 4th shot.

If you are restricted to factory unmodified revolvers, consider the 327PD or the Taurus 45acp snubby.

Otherguy Overby
June 2, 2006, 03:11 AM
What??? Are you all a bunch of commies? There's only one true American gun for concealed carry: A model 29 Smith.

Do you feel lucky? :neener:

TOADMAN
June 2, 2006, 08:39 AM
S&W Model 442/642/36..

Brian Williams
June 2, 2006, 09:49 AM
If a S&W 65 is too big, then I suggest S&W 640 in 357 if that is too much go for a 940 with polished charge holes and ammo that she knows works. A Ruger SP-101 3" in 357 or 9mm is a great gun also.

BigO01
June 2, 2006, 01:15 PM
I would get her a nice .357 with a 4 inch barrel in stainless and load it with 125 gr magnum loads and as far as a fighting chance goes it is the best round she can have for personel defense .

HankB
June 2, 2006, 02:49 PM
the size NEEDS to be like the tarus 85, . . . Per legal requirements ( POS lawyers ) she must carry a stone stock weapon with factory ammo. Does "stone stock" include the grips?

If not, I'd suggest a pre-lock stainless J-frame .357 with Crimson Trace grips added.

If "stone stock" includes the grips, go with one of the J-frame offerings from S&W which include CT grips from the factory.

When I'm not toting something larger, I pocket-carry a 340SC (with CT305 grips) which I slicked up myself . . .

Of course, if she can conceal a K-frame, she should get a round-butt, pre-lock M66, which will be superior to any J-frame.

wheelgunslinger
June 2, 2006, 04:36 PM
Hmmm...
I'd suggest a Dan Wesson .357, mainly because of the interchangeable barrels. It makes it easy to see what length is most easily carried concealed yet still be effective. A short barrel K frame isn't that hard to conceal.
Or
Might think about a hammerless .44 special in stainless. Or perhaps the Taurus 350 in either .45 Colt or .44 special.

Wanting a big bore that's concealable isn't impossible, but it presents a narrowed field. May need to make some compromises.

using a wheelgun doesn't really compromise you that much compared to an auto. You just practice a different set of skills. And you learn to make every shot count.

As far as reloads, I would recommend Safariland Comp II speedloaders for that particular chore, as well.

Dr.Rob
June 2, 2006, 05:02 PM
Spend the $$ and find a Colt Magnum Carry...

or be reasonable and get a model 65 LadySmith

either in .357

Zundfolge
June 2, 2006, 05:13 PM
If I had to CCW a wheelgun I want this one:

S&W 327 PC snubbie. (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14810&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15714&isFirearm=Y)

8 rounds of .357mag in a pretty compact package.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/170245_large.jpg

berettashotgun
June 2, 2006, 08:04 PM
Gotta work sat, but a 38+p/357 is all right. Now if I can just get one of those sweet smiths. She wants the smallest and we are going to try and look at a few small S&W revolvers this weekend. Gotta get the stuff sorted out in a few weeks, and think any of the S&W concealed pistols are going to work. If she ask if they come in colors I'm gonna giggle.:rolleyes:

msb45
June 2, 2006, 11:18 PM
Mdl 65, 3" bbl if you find one. A 638 or 60 would be a better solution than a Taurus Mdl 85. I have one and prefer the S&W trigger. For the .38 I'm old school and like the 158 LSWHP. Growing up in Chicago the CPD used this round.

DaveTN
June 4, 2006, 07:16 PM
An S&W 2 Model 66 with 158 Federal Hydra-Shoks is a much firepower as cops carried for years. It is a proven performer, and controllable with heavy loads. It is not that much harder to conceal than a J frame.

I am recommending this assuming that she is in some type of work where her weapon being seen is no big deal.

If her work requires a revolver and you want the best it will be a Smith & Wesson; now its just a matter of which model. :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "which concealed and what caliber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!