S&W "Restoration Package"

PDA

kahrcarry
May 29, 2006, 09:47 PM
Has anyone had any experience with sending an older revolver in to S&W to have the Performance Center work it over with the Restoration Package? I have an older Model 38 Airweight Bodyguard, sn 194xxx, that I'm considering sending in. I think it dates to circa 1958-59. I know that some may consider a "reworking" of such a gun blasphemous, but I've absolutely fallen in love with this thing as a carry gun, and want to get it re-finished to a stronger, carry-friendly finish, as well as have the internals checked. If you have sent one of your babies in, about what should I expect to spend? The S&W site states that "prices are subject to availability of parts," without giving any specifics. Thanks in advance for any help and/or info.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W "Restoration Package"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XavierBreath
May 29, 2006, 11:28 PM
This much I know......the aluminum frame of the Model 38 is no longer available. The Model 38 frequently wears at the cylinder rod hole in the recoil shield. If your's is worn there S&W has no option but to replace the frame with a steel frame. Sometimes, it's better to let well enough alone.

You are correct, the Model 38 is perhaps the best pocket pistol ever manufactured. I carry one myself.

kahrcarry
May 30, 2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks, XavierBreath. I've actually decided against sending it in. It's such a sweet shooter, and has so much character, that I just can't justify altering it in any way. As a pleasant side benefit, I'm going to use the money I set aside for the re-working to buy yet another S&W revolver. Not that I need any more, but there is this really nice Model 10 that I've had my eye on........

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W "Restoration Package"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!