Which is better for shooting .38 +P?

PDA

bg226
May 30, 2006, 11:03 AM
Which is better for shooting .38 Special +P and why?

What about accuracy, velocity and reliability?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is better for shooting .38 +P?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone_Gunman
May 30, 2006, 11:13 AM
It won't make much difference. I would prefer a 357 simply because it gives you more versatility.

Some people say that shooting a lot of 38s in a 357 will make it harder to get 357 cartridges to fit into the cylinder, but I have never had that problem.

silliman89
May 30, 2006, 11:34 AM
As I understand it, so long as the gun can handle a +P round, then it makes no difference. If you're wondering about a particular gun, then you need to ask specifically. Like, "Is it safe to shoot .38 +P out of my S&W mod 64-3?"

Dr_2_B
May 31, 2006, 04:05 PM
you'd have to try them out for yourself.

atlctyslkr
May 31, 2006, 09:53 PM
Studies have shown that 38 Specials shoot slightly less accurate and slower out of 357's. I have personally not conducted such a study but I've read it over and over again and I would tend to belive seeing this research in multiple places. The extra space in the cylinder and shooter expectation may be to blame. You can't do a blind shooting test so the world may never know.

.45 Cal
May 31, 2006, 10:10 PM
At 7 yards my SP101 puts .38+P right where I point it. But, as bg226 points out, there are many more factors to consider.

HSMITH
May 31, 2006, 10:54 PM
It won't matter with a quality gun.

gazpacho
June 1, 2006, 04:46 AM
This is probably a question best answered with a Ransom Rest. IMO the difference in accuracy is orders of magnitude lower than accuracy errors due to the human shooter.

MCgunner
June 1, 2006, 11:38 AM
I just voted .38 because if I'm going to carry a .357, I'm going to stoke it with .357 125 grain JHPs. Home defense, I'll go .38, but for carry I'd want the magnum. "Either in a quality gun" is a good answer.

Studies have shown that 38 Specials shoot slightly less accurate and slower out of 357's. I have personally not conducted such a study but I've read it over and over again and I would tend to belive seeing this research in multiple places. The extra space in the cylinder and shooter expectation may be to blame. You can't do a blind shooting test so the world may never know.

Less power? Nah, BS. Less accuracy? Yeah, I've found that it can be hard to find a .357 which will be as accurate with .38s as with .357s for some reason. I have found two and latched on to 'em, though. One is a Ruger Blackhawk 6.5" and one is a Taurus M66. Either will put a good .38 or .357 load into an inch at 25 yards off sand bags. I had a Security six that was this accurate with .357 loads, but shot high and to the left with .38s (odd, but I've seen windage problems between the two in this gun and a Rossi 971) and that security six would shoot no better than 2.5" with wadcutters, even factory hollow base Remington wadcutters which tend to be extremely accurate.

My Rossi would shoot under 2" with .38s, near an inch with factory Remington hollow base wadcutters, but 2+ with .357s. Go figure. It wasn't a bad gun, but I wanted better accuracy as I view a medium frame .357 as an outdoor carry gun more than for self defense, though it can surely do both. The Rossi was really light to carry, though, and wasn't particularly heavy in recoil.

The Taurus 66 is supremely accurate with both good .357 and .38s, shoots either into an inch for five shots 25 yards. My buddy has a 6" Smith 686 that is equally good with either round. My Blackhawk is a friggin' laser with either round. All I have to do with my to is adjust elevation between the light and heavy loads. The Taurus shoots a hot .357 125 grain JHP to same point of aim as the .38, which is kinda cool. So, the above axiom isn't necessarily true and I've found my almost perfect .357 outdoor gun. The only thing I would wish for is stainless steel instead of the nickel finish, but not a real biggy there.

Accuracy with one or the other load is why I didn't stick with either the Security Six or the Rossi. I'm pretty happy with what I've got now and to top it off, the Taurus has a danged fine DA and SA trigger.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is better for shooting .38 +P?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!