Do you have a "display" gun in your home?

PDA

2dogs
January 4, 2003, 12:03 AM
You know, shotgun over the mantle, AK47 on the wall, whatever.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you have a "display" gun in your home?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schuey2002
January 4, 2003, 12:06 AM
Nope!

All of mine are locked up outa' site..

My friends all know that I'm a gun fanatic,so there's no need to "display" on my part..:)

Tamara
January 4, 2003, 12:13 AM
My display weapons are mostly swords.

jimmy
January 4, 2003, 12:15 AM
Every now and then I observe to my wife that such and such a rifle would fit perfectly above the fireplace. She just grins and shakes her head. Although she and I may disagree on our living room decor, she's probably right from a security standpoint. :cool:

sm
January 4, 2003, 12:17 AM
Nope!

out of site--out of mind
my place looks like a boring
older male going to school

exactly the look I want

charlie d
January 4, 2003, 12:18 AM
Colt .25 pocket in glass fronted display case with old cameras, fishing reels, metronome etc.

Flintlock pistol and BP pistol on nick nack shelves.

At this time 10/22 in cleaning vice in dining room, Marlin Guide Gun in corner.

4v50 Gary
January 4, 2003, 12:18 AM
War clubs, knives but no guns. May put up a few blackpowder guns after I disable them (remove internal lock parts).

clem
January 4, 2003, 12:19 AM
Hawken .50 cal. Rifle.
Swords, Claymore & Viking.
Viking battle axe.

22x9
January 4, 2003, 12:22 AM
My Civil War Percussion muzzleloader given to me by my grandfather is mounted over the fireplace. Had it over the fireplace in the old house(5 years), in this house(4+ years) and will always be there no matter what house I own/live in.

My wife(an anti) complained about it the first few years, but finally can to the conclusion that that "gun" wouldn't be killing anybody and so it was ok.

PlayTheAces
January 4, 2003, 12:26 AM
A mauser hanging on the wall of my den. The wife is a little resistant to my hanging one over the fireplace! Doesn't blend with her decorating ideas.

4v50 Gary
January 4, 2003, 12:27 AM
Pssst! 22x9, your gun may easily be worth over $1k. If the bore is ingood shape, even more. Better to put up an Italian replica. You can pick them up used as cheap as $250.

Hkmp5sd
January 4, 2003, 12:54 AM
If a Remington 870 hanging on the bedroom wall for quick deployment counts, yep.

dfrog
January 4, 2003, 12:56 AM
Yes! I wear it on my belt.:cool:

Neal Bloom
January 4, 2003, 01:06 AM
The wife did not like my suggestion of hanging two AK's over the fireplace mantel. I then suggested Mausers but no go. Oh well, I'll just keep everything in the safe except for nightstand guns which will be displayed if BG enters house.

Fatcat
January 4, 2003, 01:37 AM
Not a gun per-se, but I have an M1 Carbine folding paratrooper stock on display. Once I find an M1 Carbine to fill it with, though, it will come down. :)

andy
January 4, 2003, 01:43 AM
Jeff Cooper stated that "display" guns attract three types of people. You guess what the three are.

New_comer
January 4, 2003, 02:13 AM
Yes.

A Valtro 1911 displayed proudly as my desktop wallpaper :D

itgoesboom
January 4, 2003, 02:22 AM
My grandfather had a SA 1903 in 30-06 over his mantle, and it was one of my favorite things about his house. He was one of the last real cowboys in California, so there were photos of him with his horse, his old saddle, his old gunbelt and holsters displayed throughout the house. But the 1903 was the centerpiece.

It impressed me so much, i decided to get a few relics of my own, so that i could have a display some day. So i picked up a Swedish Mauser, a British Enfield, and a Russian Mosin Nagant. The M44 was defective, so i returned it, but i always figured i would use the other two to start a nice display case, after i had refurbished them.

Alas, over 6 years since i have shot them, and my wife doesn't really want me to display them anywhere in our apartment (can't blame her, our home doesn't have "that" feel to it), so i just traded them off for my SKS.

Someday i will have a collection of all the M-1 series of rifles. M1 Garand, M1Carbine, M-14 (well, M-1A) and Mini-14 (since its based on the M-14) in addition to a nice milspec 1911A1 in a display case.

I.G.B.

Sindawe
January 4, 2003, 02:46 AM
Nope, no firearms over the fireplace, as the rifles are under lock & key, while the handguns/shotguns live by the bed :) The spot over the fireplace is reserved for the Bat'leth once I find a compitent smith to forge me one, or I take up the art myself :D

Ala Dan
January 4, 2003, 04:57 AM
No, I don't. Lots of times my family decides to keep the
interior (wooden door) open, for viewing the outside
world. I wouldn't want any weapons to be seen by
potential burglar's that may be lurking in the area.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

redneck2
January 4, 2003, 05:59 AM
my 1850 Hatfield .50 cal muzzle loader is over the TV.

if you can't enjoy 'em, why have 'em???

Other than the nightstand gun, everything else is in the safe

Of course, the ADT burgular alarm and 104# chocolate lab help

DadOfThree
January 4, 2003, 06:04 AM
I have a black powder rifle that my great great grandad carried in the Civil War hanging over the fireplace. I'm not sure you could even classify it as a gun anymore though. The hammer won't stay cocked and the trigger doesn't work anymore. Not worth anything to anyone but me.

Long Hunter
January 4, 2003, 07:31 AM
Years ago I used to have handguns and long guns in racks and all over the house.

Now keep everything locked in the safe.

Except the one I carry, which is on me all the time.

Long Hunter

Smoke
January 4, 2003, 08:17 AM
I have my Great Grandfathers double barrel shotgun on a wall in my office. It doesn't work, and the stock is badly broken. Just a nice conversation piece.

Butch
January 4, 2003, 08:31 AM
Yep.
2- Hawkins
2- cap & ball revolvers
2- bp shotguns
1- blunderbuss

:D

El Tejon
January 4, 2003, 08:50 AM
Have my greatgreatgrandfather's (circa 1860) cap single-barrelled shotgun (browned barrel and hand-cut checkering) on the wall in my library at home.

Okiecruffler
January 4, 2003, 09:43 AM
A Turk mauser and a Mosin 91/30 over the mantle. To the right of the fireplace is the gun cabinet that my father made for my 15th b'day and it always holds my favorite 5 long guns. Right now, from left to right, 1953 Hungarian M44, 1941 Ishapore no.1 mk3, Yugo M48A, 1952 Stevens 311H, and a 1945 Russian M44.

ZekeLuvs1911
January 4, 2003, 03:00 PM
Yes. I have an AutoOrdnance .45 M1911A1 Commemorative in a glass case. It is a USAF Edition and has the 24Kt. gold lettering and Ivory handle grips. You can view it at http://www.ahfrichmond.com/ It is fully functional, however, they recommend against even racking the slide due to collectibility. It has a production run of 1911 (of course!). I've been tempted to put a P-Touch label on the case that says, "In case of emergencies, break glass." :D

blades67
January 4, 2003, 03:22 PM
If the one I'm wearing counts, then yes. Otherwise, no.

shu
January 4, 2003, 03:37 PM
I thought you meant maybe a 'take' gun - sort of the opposite of a 'throw' gun.

You know - an old beat up rifle in the corner. An offering for the average smash-and-grab burglar to take and leave happy so he will not go looking for the real stash.

sasnofear
January 4, 2003, 04:12 PM
lock & key here. would love a 'den' with solid locked door & weapons on wall & reloading bench, fridge, TV etc. but im in shared accomadation as a student so that aint goin 2 happen any time soon.

Tamara
January 4, 2003, 04:16 PM
Just got one. A Martini-Henry. :)

armabill
January 4, 2003, 07:27 PM
Nope.

45R
January 4, 2003, 07:33 PM
I leave all my guns locked up. Nothing that shoots is on display. Just my Benchmades :)

Blackhawk
January 4, 2003, 07:48 PM
No.

Mastrogiacomo
January 4, 2003, 08:08 PM
My guns are locked. Why would I show off?:rolleyes:

CAP
January 4, 2003, 08:21 PM
Tamara, I hear ya.

No, no display weapons, other than kitchen impliments.
Why display?

MarineTech
January 4, 2003, 08:23 PM
I have an antique British "Goose Gun" that's a display only model on the wall in the living room. A double barrel JP Clarrough & Bros 10 gauge blackpowder shotgun made in 1885. Belonged to my great uncle. Harley Nolden identified it for me a while back over at TFL. (Thanks Harley) Normally I don't keep guns that I don't shoot, but I made an exception for this one. Took it to a gunsmith and had the firing pins removed. Figured that was the best thing so that somebody wouldn't try to fire it with a modern smokeless powder shell.

Wakal
January 4, 2003, 08:40 PM
Yes, but only because it gives me a finger hernia to shoot the darn thing. Looks nice next to Squeezy, anyway :)

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/temp/desk_middle_jan031.JPG

Alex

ahenry
January 4, 2003, 08:49 PM
This is an as yet unresolved difference of opinion between my fiancé and myself. She wants a picture over our future mantle; I want a historical firearm (happen to have a family heirloom that would be great). Something about decor :rolleyes:. Right now the “compromise” is an admittedly beautiful painting of the Texans fight at Devils Den (Gettysburg; July 2, 1863). I do have a gunrack that my grandfather made for me several years ago that is currently holding an old Winchester .351 and an old 30-30. Its not in the living room though. If I could have purchased this Bowie knife (http://www.littlejohnsauctionservice.com/auctions.html), I might have talked her into putting it above the mantle with a certain picture of the Alamo. Alas, I didn’t have the tens of thousands of dollars available. Kinda sad actually.

Why display? Beautiful conversation pieces.

Mastrogiacomo
January 4, 2003, 08:52 PM
Well my Katana is also a beautiful conversation piece but it's also deadly sharp(Japanese sword). I think I'll just keep that one locked up too. I don't need to show off all my deadly weapons. God forbid someone breaks in and decides to use it on me....:uhoh:

Tamara
January 4, 2003, 08:58 PM
..."showing off".

These things are (in some cases) quite pleasing to the eye, or interesting historic conversation pieces.

Now that you mention it, I do have a fairly eclectic selection of Smiths taking up a couple of shelves on a bookcase.

My knife collection is on display in my bedroom. (The rifles in my bedroom aren't "on display", I just keep those leaning up agains the wall...)

Some people want to keep everything under wraps. Me? I like living in an arms museum. :D

Wakal
January 4, 2003, 09:01 PM
Oh, swords...I thought we were talking guns. Swords are necessary for that great "Addams Family" look!

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/temp/livingroommk2.jpg

All functional (sharp and properly tembered), except the war hammers which are...ahh...smashy. And no, my living room walls are not pink. So there :neener:

Alex

Mastrogiacomo
January 4, 2003, 09:01 PM
As long as your OK with giving an intruder free ammo and options to kill you with....personally, I'm too much a coward. I prefer to keep the weapons to myself, but that's just me.:scrutiny:

Tamara
January 4, 2003, 09:08 PM
We don't get too many intruders out in these parts. Someone did have their VCR stolen some 20 years ago, but we're pretty sure we know who did it.

If this hypothetical intruder wants to chance an empty Martini-Henry rifle (that's a 150-yr old gun that they probably won't have any ammo for in their pockets) or an empty S&W against my loaded Beretta, well, que sera, sera, baby...

Gordon
January 4, 2003, 09:11 PM
I had a two pounder from an old Spanish barq in my living room until a wealthy guest offered me more than my wife thought was worth dusting it. It was made in Toledo(Espana) and had 1.5 inch bore and weighed 400 pounds or so. It is now on display at his restaraunt .:cool:

Mastrogiacomo
January 4, 2003, 09:17 PM
Well, you must live in a better area than me: a murder across the street, a rape just down the street, a kidnapping to a prostitution ring in Revere (which she escaped), another murder not far from where I live (head crushed with a rock, sexually assaulted), another woman murdered by her ex-boyfriend and left in the trunk of her car....all in the same small suburb.

If you know who stole the VCR, you live in a small quiet town. Not me. I don't want to leave weapons out like a buffet of options for whomever breaks in. I'LL KEEP THE WEAPONS, thank you.;)

Mastrogiacomo
January 4, 2003, 09:23 PM
Forgot, another woman from our fair city, whom I went to school with and had her mother as one of my teachers, was in the first plane that hit the towers on 9/11 -- but that's a whole other type of violence...:uhoh:

TexasVet
January 4, 2003, 10:46 PM
Nothing on display except the British 19th cent. lance and the Afgan matchlock in the den. But when we are home there is a gun within reach in every room. They are just not very visible. (Yes, the one in the bathroom IS stainless!)

Okiecruffler
January 4, 2003, 10:52 PM
Sounds like a nice neighborhood, kinda reminds me why I moved out to the boonies.

My guns are unlocked, I found out that it takes less room to keep your ammo locked up. Only four guns loaded and none of them are on display. I might add that it would take a cutting torch and a really big doggie treat to get into the house.

Mastrogiacomo
January 4, 2003, 10:53 PM
I can see if it's an old weapon and no longer functional. Whatever. I've seen some nice Civil War weapons that would be interesting to display. Still, I'd probably worry about it being stolen. But if you don't mind advertising, to each his own. :D

mack
January 5, 2003, 01:23 AM
Sigh, if I had the money I would like to display some historically significant weapons:

A claymore sword- a real one not the faux cheap ones - family history says we were irish churchmen and mercenaries - kind of similar occupations at the time. ;)

A Revolutionary Era flintlock musket - Brown Bess or French Charleville - a nice working repo

A Colt 1860 Army Revolver - working repo would be okay
or a
A Remington New Model Army - again repo okay

An English Longbow - with Arrows

And finally maybe a Nice Colt Peacemaker.

First I would enjoy looking at them, second they would remind me of their role in history, third they would conversation pieces, four they would not provide any criminal with a readily useable weapon, (unless they are adept at using a bow or claymore in close quarters or unless they carry black powder, caps, and or 45 LC ammo), and lastly because I think it would be oh so tasteful and I could occasionally take them down and shoot or swing them for fun.

Kahr carrier
January 5, 2003, 02:36 AM
Nope Prk Resident-What guns :evil: :neener:

sixgun_symphony
January 5, 2003, 03:51 AM
War clubs, knives but no guns. May put up a few blackpowder guns after I disable them (remove internal lock parts).

I can't see disabling a perfectly good gun.

Traditional muzzle-Loaders would be safe from fools and thieves as they are not something the average person is going to know how to properly load.

Of course there is the option of getting antique weapons that can not be restored to firing condition for wall hangers. Some damascus barreled shotguns come to mind here.

Tamara
January 5, 2003, 08:13 AM
I can see if it's an old weapon and no longer functional. Whatever. I've seen some nice Civil War weapons that would be interesting to display. Still, I'd probably worry about it being stolen. But if you don't mind advertising, to each his own.

I can see if one lives in some urban combat zone why one would not even want to leave one's kitchen knives out & accessible, what with all the felons wandering through one's kitchen. When I lived in midtown Atlanta, I certainly didn't leave any guns lying around.

Believe it or not, though, there are still relatively civilized places on this planet where you can leave your car unlocked, and your wallet & watch on the dashboard, for that matter.

As far as "advertising" goes, advertising to who? Do you have strangers over often? The last 10 people I've had visit my house are all members here or at TFL, what do I care about them seeing my guns? I've seen theirs...

Reading these posts makes me so glad I moved out of the city. :eek:

gburner
January 5, 2003, 11:24 AM
An Enfield over the fireplace in the den. An SKS in the workshop. A Mauser
'scout rifle' project hanging in the bedroom and a .44 caliber cap and ball revolver displayed with a sword, belt and sash from my Civil War uniform.

The 1911A1 stays on my hip or on the nightstand. Two shotguns are well within reach, but not displayed. I like lookng at and handling my firearms.

Those of you who are concerned about attracting unwanted attention...do you keep your computer, stereo system, tv,
furniture, power tools, cars and other valuables hidden away as well? We have the God ordained right to keep and bear arms. Squirreling them away in a closet somewhere always makes me think that the owner is somehow ashamed. YMMV

Mastrogiacomo
January 5, 2003, 11:43 AM
Hey I'm proud of my sword! I just don't want my nieces and nephews getting too curious when they're over at the house or give an intruder a nice sharp blade to kill me with...:uhoh:

If you want to hang your guns, your knifes, your mace, your swords -- go ahead. :cool: It's your house.

falconer
January 5, 2003, 03:17 PM
I have guns all over the basement at my father's house, laying on the workbench and such.

I have 2 katana's, a pair of sai, and a khukri on the wall of my bedroom at my apartment and various bits of ammunition and knives laying around on the floor and furniture. No guns though, not the wisest thing in a college apartment.

Mastrogiacomo
January 5, 2003, 03:31 PM
And...I imagine no kids or kid siblings at home or visiting you. I'd hope if you did you'd lock up your guns at home instead of leaving them "lying about the basement." I'm assuming you live alone in your college apartment, and/or your room mate also doesn't have young visiters either...:cool: Not exactly a child proof envirnoment you live in is it? I don't leave my butterfly knives lying around the downstairs, or my arnis sticks in full view of my little nieces and nephews. My sword is hidden away. I didn't buy it for them to play with my weapons...:rolleyes: My Sifu would kill me to have my head up my :cuss: as I'm sure yours would. Again, I don't consider keeping my weapons, martial arts or guns, locked away as a sign of shame -- just being a responsible aunt.

swingset
January 7, 2003, 05:32 AM
I have a display gun (A beater K98k).

Why? Cause it pisses off Jeff Cooper.

Seriously, I have a hidden room closeby, and this gun is the "bait". They'll more than likely go for it, not knowing there is a hidden door nearby where a closet used to be.

BlackArrow
January 7, 2003, 10:59 PM
A Daisy Red Rider as you come in the front door (the original):D The rest are where I know they are! That Red Rider was my first!

hansolo
January 7, 2003, 11:09 PM
Yep! Got me a .380 Hi-Point, the one with the chrome strip on the slide(just like my Daddy's '57 Ford station wagon.) It's a-hangin' next to the black velvet painting of Elvis on the livin' room wall of my doublewide.:rolleyes:

ezoeni
January 8, 2003, 02:28 AM
No I dont. Family was robbed I think just for that reason. Its nice to have a gun over the fire place. But I think its just not worth it.

So I have a "display" safe bolted to the concrete floor in a back room that weighs as much as a car. I just go in and look at it and Im happy

I also have the 45 on my hip for display as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you have a "display" gun in your home?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!