Were the Phaser pistol invented would you buy one?

PDA

Boats
April 28, 2003, 04:27 PM
Disregard technological and Class III issues and the inevitable rush to ban it like the S&W .500 revolver.

Would you buy one of these Star Trek type weapons given that it is capable of catastrophic overload, difficult to aim (if the shows are any indicator), might result in mandatory "stun first" laws, would be made of polymers, and (aghast) be possibly battery powered and a "smart gun" to boot?

I think I might. Variable power settings would be available, some highly concealable models might be possible, and ammo comes from a charging rack, though what they'd do in the field has never been adequately explained on the ST shows.

If you enjoyed reading about "Were the Phaser pistol invented would you buy one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LiquidTension
April 28, 2003, 04:55 PM
Yes. I would get in trouble for stunning idiots though.

Ledbetter
April 28, 2003, 04:55 PM
I'd buy three, a Government model, a "Commander" and an Officers'-sized.

"Catastrophic overload?" Sounds like plus when the Romulans come calling.

Difficult to aim? It always seemed to me that you just whip it out, point in any old way and the beam comes out straight at your target!!

Boats
April 28, 2003, 05:03 PM
Difficult to aim? It always seemed to me that you just whip it out, point in any old way and the beam comes out straight at your target!!

Except for when it doesn't.:D There have been many spectacularly useless firefights on all of the ST series, including various feats of athleticism wherein ST personnel have dodged beams which travel at or near the speed of light!:rolleyes:

NukemJim
April 28, 2003, 05:16 PM
I would be happy to trade all of my guns for a Phaser as long as I can carry the phaser.

As to being difficult to shoot : just remember how inaccurate TV portrays "regular" firearms. With a phaser no recoil, no leading for moving targets ( the phaser beam has a "muzzle welocity" of 186,00 miles per second ) adn the ability to see the beam as to where you miss.

Where do I get in line ?

NukemJim

Sactown
April 28, 2003, 05:33 PM
I already got mine.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p73f5f1548ea8c21b776c5a20cc558ab5/fc40d06e.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pb04517a8ee4b4cec6b2e18793f80d3f5/fc40d024.jpg

You think getting a Class III license is hard. Try getting one for Class IV, Energy Emitting Weapons!!! :D

Poodleshooter
April 28, 2003, 05:34 PM
Sure ,if I can get one of the disintegrating models from the old TV show or the first few movies.
"Whoops-there goes another target frame!"

Frohickey
April 28, 2003, 05:37 PM
A phaser, a tricorder, and a transporter... If I have all three, I could change the world and impress the girls too. :D

A Phaser would not be Class III. It would be semi-auto. One pulse every time you pull the trigger. The added plus is that you can set it to overload, and turn it into a large grenade! Before you do, its best to muffle the sound, as it does make a whine just before it goes off.

A phaser would be just the ticket for outdoor survival gear. Lets see.. lightweight weapon, can kill and heat rocks, can make for a pretty neat signal flare, and you can use it on stun to really cut down on meat damage.

Kharn
April 28, 2003, 05:50 PM
I think the phaser is the reason the laser sight was invented. Point and shoot all day long. :D

Kharn

gudel
April 28, 2003, 05:51 PM
mmm... would the disruptor be considered as an assault weapon? :D

Hkmp5sd
April 28, 2003, 05:57 PM
whether a gun, knife, dagger, sword, mace, flaill, crossbow, Bhuj, Glaive, M1 Abrahms, phaser or anything else, I want one.

MMcCall
April 28, 2003, 06:04 PM
I honestly don't think think this is that far off.. beam/directed energy weapons are the logical progression towards the less lethal trend we're seeing with the M26 Taser, the military's DEW program, microwave emitters, etc.

Projectile weapons will always have a place, but a gun that uses rechargable ammo, no recoil, no noise, and no cleanup? Sign me up.

Sactown
April 28, 2003, 06:10 PM
I can't wait for the Sick Stick from Minority Report.

BerettaNut92
April 28, 2003, 06:13 PM
Imagine what a mess an ND would be with a Sickstick. "I thought it was unloaded! I was just cleaning it and...." :barf:

:D

As for the Phaser, I think it would be a good less lethal option that may replace pepper spray :)

StuporDave
April 28, 2003, 06:37 PM
A phaser, a tricorder, and a transporter... If I have all three, I could change the world and impress the girls too.

What I'd really want from Ster Trek is a replicator. Then it wouldn't matter what you wanted, just ask the computer for it and "POOF" there it is! :D

Dave

coonan357
April 28, 2003, 07:49 PM
would it come witha flash supressor and bayonet lug?? and black you know an assault phazer:rolleyes:

blades67
April 28, 2003, 07:58 PM
I would just because it would cause the brady bunch to stroke out.:evil:

Mikul
April 29, 2003, 12:20 PM
This poses an interesting question. When this device becomes available, the lethal varieties are unlikely to be made available to us mere peons and perhaps not even to police officers.

The questions is: if the stun model was extremely effective, would you prefer to carry it in place of your current sidearm of choice?

I have to admit the fact the innocent bystanders could not be harmed no matter how poor the marksmanship skills of the individual are is a big plus. I also admit that the permanent removal of scum from the gene pool by firearms is attractive.

Frohickey
April 29, 2003, 01:35 PM
What I'd really want from Ster Trek is a replicator. Then it wouldn't matter what you wanted, just ask the computer for it and "POOF" there it is!
Next thing you'd want is a Holodeck. That, by itself would decimate the adult strip club industry. :D

Ledbetter
April 29, 2003, 01:48 PM
I'd never have to leave the ship, er, house, again!

4v50 Gary
April 29, 2003, 02:08 PM
Captain Kirk never missed and neither will I. Yes, I'd buy one... and then some folks would start disappearing. :evil:

BTW, the bottom phaser looks like it's loosely based on the Beretta 92. See the slide release?

cslinger
April 29, 2003, 02:36 PM
I would love a phaser if just for the ability to go out an non-lethally stun people.

Fun at parties, paintball to the max and great for those idiots at work.

Where do I sign, and do they take plastic. :D

12-34hom
April 29, 2003, 02:43 PM
Trekies unite!.........:what:

Is that phaser on stun or are you just happy to see me?

12-34hom.

cool45auto
April 29, 2003, 03:15 PM
Talk about the perfect murder, you shoot someone and they dissapear!

Sactown: Is that a hi-cap hanging out of the bottom phaser?:D

RustyHammer
April 29, 2003, 03:47 PM
.... only if it comes with a high cap charger pack. (Not availble in CA, NY, DC I'm sure.)

Schuey2002
April 29, 2003, 03:52 PM
Were the Phaser pistol invented would you buy one?
YUP! ;)

George Hill
April 29, 2003, 03:53 PM
Phaser?

Feh!

What you need is a handy BLASTER at your side!
http://members.aol.com/ctlaw74/blaster.jpg
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/images/weapons/blaster.gif

bogie
April 29, 2003, 03:55 PM
Hmpff... I'd just like that homemade black powder cannon that they cooked up in that one show... Imagine if they were gonna air that sucker as new on prime time today - folks would be calling it a recipe for disaster...

Sactown
April 29, 2003, 03:58 PM
Sactown: Is that a hi-cap hanging out of the bottom phaser?

Nope, that baby takes 4 AAA Dilithium Crystal cells.

Too bad I can't get my Motorola phone to make that communicator sound when I open it up.

kcslim
April 29, 2003, 08:06 PM
You bet I would buy one, I would be content with a laser pointer that could fry bug's.:eek:

Harold Mayo
April 29, 2003, 08:12 PM
The only thing from Star Trek that I want is Deanna Troi!:D

kannonfyre
April 29, 2003, 09:17 PM
What if you are some brilliant scientist and built your own phaser or disruptor pistol in your own garage. Let's just say that it works like the one in ST's latest series:Enterprise.

By current US federal/state law would it immediately be illegal? I forsee that you could open carry it cos it looks like a toy and quite a few cops would just assume that you're a trekkie but can anything be done to you if you were frisked by LEOs and it was discovered?

Can something be illegal/banned if it has not even been invented yet?

Phyphor
April 29, 2003, 09:26 PM
That *IS* an interesting question. What is the legal status of hand-held directed energy weapons?

atek3
April 29, 2003, 09:44 PM
if it fires a coherent photons, aka a laser, it would be HEAVILY regulated. I work in a lab with a 5 mW laser, we have to have two safety interlocks and safety glasses. To do some "van dammage" you'd ideally want a laser in the 1000+ W range, to fire it however, would require an AMAZING power supply. However powerful lasers require lots and lots of permits to fire.

I think buck rogers stuff will likely take over the non-lethal role, using dazzlers, noise cannons, microwave guns, and stuff.
However I can't really forsee pure directed energy weapons displacing the bullet firing rifle.

atek3

Selfdfenz
April 29, 2003, 10:16 PM
Would I like a phaser.....nope.
A day at the range just wouldn't be the same. Pwuuuut and the shoot-and-see catches fire.

Would I like a phaser......yep.
Set it on stun and I could temp shoot 3 limits of ducks a day. Heck, what limits!
And..they could all go back to Canada every year. Next year, pwuuuut, pwuuuut, pwuuut , splash, splash,splash all over again. Same ducks!

Plus, it might be a handy way to light the gas grill.
S-

illuminatus99
April 29, 2003, 11:12 PM
dealing with multiple adversaries? just set on wide-beam and stun the lot of them.

I'd probably carry a back up gun though, just in case.

Nightfall
May 1, 2003, 03:17 PM
No way in heck any of us lowly civilians would be allowed to own a phaser. We might be allowed 'stun' varieties, but the only people with the real deal would be cops, the military, and of course the criminals. :rolleyes:

The only thing from Star Trek that I want is Deanna Troi!

Diddo! :D

kcslim
May 1, 2003, 03:32 PM
I remember reading about a product being developed that would essentially project a beam, and then somehow the energy used to stun you would travel down the beam. That would be a great alternative to pepper spray, can you imagine how quick the people that clog the isle's of walmart would get out of your way

:)

dhoomonyou
May 1, 2003, 03:51 PM
Is that the "HI CAP" mag?
hmmmmm i wonder if FOBUS makes a holster for it?

Kaylee
May 1, 2003, 11:37 PM
Absolutely! :D

And right after that, we'll be organizing the First Annual Rocky Mountain 3000 Meter Shoot and Barbecue cook-off. Slather the cow with sauce and such, hike on over to the next crest, and see who can actually cook the beast without too many splatters from flash-cooking the innards. :)

-K

Shooter 2.5
May 2, 2003, 12:19 AM
The early models seemed clumsy. Aim, wait a couple of seconds and then miss at a room's length.

The next generation of Phasers were a little better but there still were few hit per "round".

Personally, I would be tempted to just hold the button down, wiggle it around and get all the bad guys.

Sam Adams
May 2, 2003, 03:29 PM
What I'd really want from Ster Trek is a replicator. Then it wouldn't matter what you wanted,
just ask the computer for it and "POOF" there it is!

Yeah, like money, gold coins, etc. Then you could buy all of the phasers you wanted.

The only thing from Star Trek that I want is Deanna Troi!

Seven-of-Nine ain't so bad, either (sans the mechanical crap attached to her face).

Personally, I want the time machine from "The City on the Edge of Forever." It would be interesting to travel in time, and it would also be a great way to get rich quickly

Archer
May 2, 2003, 03:51 PM
Ahh, all you wanna-bee trekkers seem to forget that what Sulu really wanted was one of those "ancient chemical powered weapons"... a nice blued .38 revolver IIRC... There was one episode in which he got his wish.

If you enjoyed reading about "Were the Phaser pistol invented would you buy one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!