Ever kicked yourself for not buying a gun?

PDA

Sheslinger
January 4, 2003, 12:28 AM
In September we were in Sevierville, TN and saw a Kimber CDP 5 inch for $829.00. We did not have the money then. Cslinger called them today out of curiosity (we were talking about it for whatever reason), and it is $1029.00 now.

Oh, well, there is always a good deal somewhere, right?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever kicked yourself for not buying a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
January 4, 2003, 12:30 AM
:banghead: Let's see...YES! :banghead:

faustulus
January 4, 2003, 12:31 AM
I'm going to have to say

YES!

Neal Bloom
January 4, 2003, 12:33 AM
Oh yeah! Passed up some great deals, especially when I was in college and graduate school. Didn't have the money then and I choke when I see the prices nowdays. I just have to realize that it was a long time ago and prices do go up. Don't seem to run across the same opportunities anymore though.

AZTOY
January 4, 2003, 12:36 AM
Yes

jame
January 4, 2003, 12:37 AM
Yup....missed out on the cheap AK's and I nearly missed out on the cheap Makarov's, so I decided I wouldn't miss out again. SKS is now in the safe, (albeit somewhat modified), and I'm just waiting for more ComBloc deals, Lew Horton N frame snubbies, etc....

I don't want to miss out again.

dfrog
January 4, 2003, 12:44 AM
Happens to me at every gun show.

Schuey2002
January 4, 2003, 12:52 AM
Yes! .... Lots of times. :banghead:

One time (only a few years back) my local HK dealer had a HK94A3 hanging on the back wall with a $1,000 price tag on it. I looked at it and said to myself, " $1,000 !! That's nuts! "....

One day (around June of 2002) I walked back into the same gun shop and saw the exact same HK94A3 for sale. The manager noticed that I was drooling over the HK and softly chuckled, " Do you remember when I had this gun in the shop??.... Wish you would have bought it the first time,don't you?!"

It was listed at $3300.00 .. I later found out that someone had purchased it later that day. :banghead: :banghead:

(p.s. I didn't have the $3,300 or I would have bought it.)

sm
January 4, 2003, 12:56 AM
Yes
More than once
last time wanted to kick my friend/and doctor also, I told him I would buy his Belgium BHP--he forgot--traded for Glock, I took 2 Tylenol--didn't help.

Sactown
January 4, 2003, 01:00 AM
Hmmm....I'm in **********.....I'd say HELL YEAH!!! ARs, HKs, AKs..gone...all gone!! The horror, the horror. Now we got pump action AKs, fixed magazine AR15s..stop the MADNESS!!!

para.2
January 4, 2003, 01:02 AM
:banghead: Too many times to count.:banghead:

PATH
January 4, 2003, 01:06 AM
More times than I care to recall!:banghead:

Wildalaska
January 4, 2003, 01:20 AM
Every day...over the one yesterday...

New_comer
January 4, 2003, 01:21 AM
Let me see:

I passed off the chance to get my own P7M8 for $950 a year ago, now it's tagged at $2200.:banghead:

A Kahr E9 for $400. Just let go a second, turned my head to find wife, next thing I know, someone's putting up half the price as deposit. :fire:

Oh well... life goes on... :D

Mike Irwin
January 4, 2003, 01:36 AM
Anyone who hasn't isn't really interested in guns... :)

WilderBill
January 4, 2003, 01:44 AM
Mike just summed it up nicely.

Atticus
January 4, 2003, 02:09 AM
At the last gun show I attended, there was a guy selling a Colt AR15 shorty. His asking price was $850, and then dropped to $800. This included a C-More red dot scope with a handle mount rail, about ten USGI mags, a battle pack of ammo, and assorted odds and ends. I had $700 and he wouldn't budge. I drove to the nearest ATM to get the other hundred, but failed to make him a solid offer (thinking he might take $750 when I got back and had the cash in hand). It was a very slow show and no one was buying anything- except for the guy who bought the package as I was walking back in the door...arggg! I did find another one for $700 about ten minutes later...but it still makes me mad to think about it. C.R. Sam's comment on TFL about being in the right place, at the right time, with cash in hand, rang in my ears.

HOW BOUT THEM BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!!

Longbow
January 4, 2003, 02:43 AM
Just passed on a S&W mod 36 for $220. It was in great shape, almost like new. Saw it last Wed. came back today and its gone! :banghead:

firestar
January 4, 2003, 03:49 AM
Yes but I don't worry about it too much because I think the best deal are out there RIGHT NOW!

AK-47 for under $300

SKS for $99

Mak for $109 (a while back at least)

SS Ruger Speed Sixes for less than $200

Bersa .380 for less than $200

Cetme for less than $300

Mausers For $60

CZ-75 and CZ-40 for less than $300

ETC.

Griff
January 4, 2003, 05:31 AM
Yep, missed an S&W 940 in a hometown pawn shop, fealt kinda strange so I passed, turned out to be a local cops BUG. Oh, well, I'll keep looking.

redneck2
January 4, 2003, 05:51 AM
that "little voice" in the back of your head always tells you that this is a screaming deal, but our "rational mind" says "NO"

I've got one of these right now. Local dealer has a Austin & Halleck muzzle loader on their bargain "dutch auction" table. If you're not familiar, they're the most beautiful ML made, in the same league as the higher end Weatherby rifles. Dealer cost on these is $550-600....he has this one for $250 (salesman's sample).

Man, I don't need a muzzle loader, but it's hard to pass up the "screaming deal".

Oh well....I'm going over to pick up my 5 station progressive Hornady press with a set of carbide dies for $75. Maybe that'll make me feel better.

Butch
January 4, 2003, 08:10 AM
:banghead: Yes a Ruger Red Label when they first came out for (get this) $300.00 :banghead:

telewinz
January 4, 2003, 08:56 AM
Two days before the assualt rifle ban passed in congress I could have purchased a Daewoo .223 for $300. At that time it was an even bet wether the bill would pass or not. I had the money in my hand but got cold feet (after all the ban wasn't going to pass!) That Monday AM the the ban passed and by 10AM the price had gone up to $750 and by Monday afternoon it had been sold at that price!:cuss:

Sleeping Dog
January 4, 2003, 09:41 AM
Yes, mostly due to ignorance.

You want how much for THAT?

Later find out that THAT was a helluva deal.

A short swede mauser comes to mind.

And a flintlock kit.

And an Enfield No4.

The list goes on.:(

NJ3
January 4, 2003, 09:45 AM
Yes I have. Just resently I was looking at a Colt Mustang. I decided not to buy it because I was waiting on my PM9. I thought about it and decided to try to put it on lay away a couple of days later, but it was gone.

Okiecruffler
January 4, 2003, 09:45 AM
Kicked myself a few times for not buying one, but not as many times as I've been kicked by The Wife for buying one.:neener:

Mike
January 4, 2003, 09:56 AM
A new in box Norinco 1911A1 for $300. Seemed outrageous at the time.

Kentucky Rifle
January 4, 2003, 10:05 AM
My wife want's a Sphinx AT380. I was offered a NIB AT380 at a gun show for $400.00. I had already bought a lot that day so, stupidly, I took a pass. (Can you BELIEVE that??:banghead: ) She's never let me forget it either. She mentioned it again last night. I had plenty of cash and it was a "private sale" deal. Sometimes, I am a dunce. She told me so last night...AGAIN! :banghead:

KR

Tady45
January 4, 2003, 10:19 AM
YES YES YES! Any AR15 style rifle before our stinking ban that went into effect at the stroke of midnight 2000. Big mistake that I have regretted since. I was told, had the $$$ and had my head up my @#%

Larry :banghead:

Hkmp5sd
January 4, 2003, 10:31 AM
H&K SP-89. :banghead:

stans
January 4, 2003, 02:01 PM
Yes, there is one rifle that I should have bought, but passed. It was at a gun show several years ago when M-98 Mausers were flooding into this country. I found one at a table and it appeared to have all matching numbers, Nazi markings and a Portugese crest. The price was, if I remember correctly, about $250. I passed on this because I was not sure about the crest. When I got home and checked my books, I found that this rifle was correct and original. At the next show, the rifle was back, but it was priced over $600. I think it was a case of the dealer getting a bunch of rifles and putting them on the table before thoroughly checking to see which ones were all matching. Oh well, you snooze, you loose.

Ninj500
January 4, 2003, 02:05 PM
Turkish 8mm Mausers at a local gun show for $49. Not that it's a great gun or the best deal. But how did I walk away from it at $49. I didn't even realize what I was doing until the drive home.

denfoote
January 4, 2003, 02:10 PM
Yup!! I had the chance to buy the Vektor CP1 and didn't!! Now they have all gone away!!! I could have had the Hi-Point of South Africa!!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :evil: :neener:

thisaway
January 4, 2003, 02:11 PM
Yes :(

Gewehr98
January 4, 2003, 02:29 PM
Just days before his daughter promised to turn them into the Placer County Sheriff's Department. She didn't want him to own them anymore. His Altzheimer's affliction was at an early stage, I think it was just an excuse for her to relieve him of the rifles.

I looked at them, and wanted to think it over, while scrounging the money. He was asking all of about $200 for the pair of them.

I called him back two days later. Too late, daughter turned them in.

:banghead:

ZekeLuvs1911
January 4, 2003, 02:43 PM
Yes!....and no....I always come back to buy the gun I want!:neener:

Zundfolge
January 4, 2003, 02:54 PM
I'm kicking myself right now because there is a Steyr S40 on gunbroker for $475 and I don't have the money.

Something tells me I'm going to be kicking myself for some time to come :(

I also made the mistake of telling my brother about a complete Rock River AR15 lower on GB for $125 and the punk snaked me and did a "buy now" on it. :fire:

Jason Demond
January 4, 2003, 05:18 PM
A unfired P&R 6" nickel plated S&W model 29, 299.99 with wood presentation case. This was four years ago, and I still kick myself!:banghead:

HS/LD
January 4, 2003, 05:24 PM
Never regret not buying one...

but I REGRET SELLING A COUPLE!!:banghead:

HS/LD

bpisler
January 4, 2003, 05:45 PM
A few come to mind,a S&W 624,2.5" unfired in the box for $299.99.It was in my friends shop a few years ago,my friend does'nt care for revolvers and bought from some guy just to be nice.It was priced to sell because my buddy did'nt want it stinking up his shop.

armabill
January 4, 2003, 07:19 PM
Yes, several. But that is water over the damn. Didn't happen last time, got that Colt Commander.

M67
January 4, 2003, 07:27 PM
Ever kicked yourself for not buying a gun?
Isn't that a bit like asking if the Pope is Catholic?

C.R. Sam's comment on TFL about being in the right place, at the right time, with cash in hand, rang in my ears. I think I'm paraphrasing the great philosopher Calvin, of "Calvin and Hobbes": If we can identify the right place, all we have to do is hang around long enough and the right time will come along, sooner or later. Then let us assume that the right place is the local gun shop, and that plastic in the pocket is as good as cash in hand. VoilĂ*! :D

M1911
January 4, 2003, 07:29 PM
Oh yea!. About 6 months ago or so, I saw a used stainless Colt Delta Elite in the display case at my favorite gun store. The price was about $900, which would be considered overpriced, but this is MA, where such things as 1911s are now considered "unsafe" and thus can't be bought new. I didn't buy it. Came back a month later intent on buying it, but it was already gone.

The good news was that several months later I came across someone in MA selling one for $650. I did NOT miss that one.

M1911

Skunkabilly
January 4, 2003, 07:30 PM
Someone set up us SB23! All your remorse are belong to us. :(

JoshM
January 4, 2003, 08:53 PM
Back in the good ol' day's [about 10 years ago] the Army was selling off their stock of L1A1 SLR's, you could buy a rack grade rifle for $400 [approx $200US] and they had bulk deals as well.

I was in high school and saving for a Landcruiser instead. :(

Saw a Suppressed Ruger 40Auto Rifle recently and they are still available, but I'm saving for Grad school instead. :(

cratz2
January 4, 2003, 10:58 PM
Yup. I'd been wanting a Marlin 1895CB for a while but had other priorities. Walked into the gun shop and there on the used rack was a 99% condition with big loop, elevation site and a trigger job all for about 150 less than the going price for the new gun and he had JUST taken it in on trade - wasn't even priced yet.
Went out to do some errands and get money out of the bank. Like a dumbbutt, I didn't tell the owner to hold it for me. Went back maybe hour and a half later and it was gone.

Luckily, about three months later the buyer brought it back so I had a second chance. It is now in layaway. :D

Tom J.
January 4, 2003, 11:08 PM
About fourteen years ago , I was living above a tavern . A guy I knew walk in and told me that he was moving out of state , and wanted to sell his rifle- a Colt AR15 for $300.00 . I said "Nah , I've got no use for it " . :eek: Yes , I'm still kicking myself .

jimmy
January 4, 2003, 11:17 PM
As to whether I've kicked myself for not buying a gun, the answer is an emphatic yes, many times over. I can almost feel the bruises from every time this has happened. :banghead:

4v50 Gary
January 4, 2003, 11:30 PM
Left hand Kimber (original Kimber) 222 bolt action rifle. $600. I bought a SMLE No. 4 Mk 1 (T) instead (and I could have bought both).

DAL
January 4, 2003, 11:34 PM
Yup. A couple of years ago I saw a table full of Ishapur Enfields in .308 for under $100 each. I remember looking at them, but I didn't buy one then. About 6-8 months later, I learned more about them and I bought one--for $140! Oh well, even at that price it's a good battle rifle.
DAL

enfwago
January 5, 2003, 01:44 AM
Yeah, everytime I go into a gun store and come out empty handed.

Kahr carrier
January 5, 2003, 02:24 AM
Yep all the time.:banghead:

TarpleyG
January 5, 2003, 08:08 AM
When I was much younger, I found a Colt MKIV Commander at a pawn shop. Not know a great deal about guns, especially 1911s, at that time, I put down a $40 deposit for them to hold it until the next week. I think they were asking $350 for it IIRC. Well, money was hard to come by then and that other $300 never made itself available. I have regretted not making sacrifices elsewhere ever since.

GT

Mark Tyson
January 5, 2003, 10:59 AM
Three guns come to mind:

1. An Uzi for 900$. I know they are not that great, but their reputation is so infamous! They're heavily regulated in my state and I just didn't feel like going through all the trouble.

2. Bushmaster pre-ban AR-15 for 900$

3. Les Baer 1911 for 1100$

Jspy
January 5, 2003, 11:18 AM
Who hasn't ?:( Actually there are only 3 times that I really can't get out of my mind. Two times were concerning Browning 22 rifles, a grade 2 BAR and a grade 3 takedown auto. The most recent involved a new Kimber 308 rifle for an unbelievable price.

Bainx
January 5, 2003, 11:32 AM
hopefully, you were not shopping at Wynns in Sevierville.
Their prices are absolutely out of sight. We have many, many gun shops in the Knoxville area that smoke Wynns.

JeepDriver
January 5, 2003, 11:51 AM
Yes, every gun I saw while my wife was in Grad School. I remember a Colt Mustang I really wanted but counldn't afford it. They only wanted $275. (Maryland)

Two years of no new gun and barely being able to aford to feed the 9mm.

But I'm making you for it. 9 new guns in the past 2 years. Hopefully I can buy that many this year!!!!

Bostonterrier97
January 5, 2003, 02:47 PM
Oh YES!
I passed on the following:
One of the very few: a P13 Enfield chambered in .276 Enfield
An Original AR10
An Original AR180
An HK91 (not one of its clones)
A Steyr Aug
A Valmet

A sporterized K31 Schimdt Rubin rebarreled in .308 (would have made an awesome scout rifle)

A Pre-Ban Stg58
An Antique Wichester .22LR Target Rifle, complete with a Wooden Case, and a LONG Unertl Target Scope.

An Authentic Krag Jorgenson Carbine

A drop dead gorgous Browning Hi Power made by FN during the 1950's, mint condition
A Browning Hi Power MkIII in 40 SW
An M1911A1 USMC issued handgun
A Colt Python

An Authentic BM59 made by Berretta (oh..I REALLY HATE MYSELF!! Arggg!!!!!! What was I thinking?)

A Beautifully Customized Mauser Hunting Rifle chambered in 7x57 Magnum.
A PRE-64 Winchester Model 70 (Mint) chambered in .375 Magnum

A pair of Remington Police Rifles one chambered in .223 the other chambered in .308 with Leupold Glass..being sold below market value..(it was just before April 15 and the owner was hard up for $$$ to pay off the IRS)

A Oberndorf Swedish Mauser (M96)..
A M96 Swedish Mauser 1899!

A M94 Swedish Mauser

A MarkV SMLE..
A CCLE (Charger Loading Long Lee Enfield)

A really sweet Tanker M1 Garand...like Oleg's "8-ball"

Man..I am really depressed now..a lot of it is irreversible now as long as I live in **********.

Bob Locke
January 5, 2003, 11:17 PM
Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that I could have had for $125 about two and a half years ago. It was a used gun, but it was in outstanding condition and the action was flawless.

Still wondering why I don't own it.

tetchaje1
January 5, 2003, 11:31 PM
I saw a NIB Steyr AUG (still had all of the factory tags on it, too)with a couple of 30 round mags at a local pawn shop in December 2001 for $2300. Like an idiot I walked out of the shop and drove up to my computer at the University to check the going rate on AUGs at the time (I amazingly had the cash ready to go in my bank account...).

When I saw that they were going for nearly $4000, I immediately drove back to that shop but it was already gone... :banghead:

556A2
January 5, 2003, 11:32 PM
A War-Time Producton, Laminated Stock, Russian Mosin-Nagant M44 that had almost no scrathes on the stock, almost perfect bluing, perfect bore, was issued, but it looked almost perfect. All for 65 dollars, but I did not want to drive back to Raleigh to go get it :cuss: I love the one I have, but its just not the same.

TheeBadOne
January 6, 2003, 05:27 AM
Of course! Rarely it has worked to an advantage later on.....rarely :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever kicked yourself for not buying a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!