Charles Daly High Power

PDA

denster
June 3, 2006, 06:47 PM
Picked up a new Daly High Power 9mm at the gun shop today. Seemed well put together and the price was right. Anybody have any experience with them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Charles Daly High Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
res1b3uq
June 3, 2006, 07:28 PM
I had one for a while. Nice pistol. I sold mine becouse I was tired of keeping ammo for .380, 9mm , and .45's. Liked the .45's the best, so I sold the rest. I don't know what you paid for it, but I think you'll like it. And it is "made in U.S.A."

jungle
June 3, 2006, 10:05 PM
It's assembled in the US, but most of the parts are made in Hungary. Not a bad stand in for the real thing if the price is right.

Dienekes
June 4, 2006, 02:53 AM
Saw a couple at the company display at the NRA convention/exhibits the other week; the interesting one appeared to be stainless but the rep claimed it was hard chromed. Very attractive and seemingly well made gun. It had the big express sights on it which he said were a love/hate thing.

I have looked at a few others and other than the sights (which I personally would change out) they seem pretty decent. I have a WWII tangent-sighted Inglis and a 1996 vintage Mk III BHP so some basis for comparison.

chaim
June 4, 2006, 04:16 AM
I have thought about buying one but I haven't yet.

I saw one at the shop when I bought my SIG 226 but I had other priorities at the time. It did look well made and well finished. If I bought one I'd probably occasionally bring it with me when out of state as a carry gun (I live in MD so I can only carry when out of state) so I'd probably leave the sights. The price was pretty decent for MD gun prices.

MD does have a one gun a month law, I am picking up my 226 on Mon or Tues. I already bought my next gun online, a SIG 229 that I can't pick up for another month. If that Charles Daly Hi-Power is still there in 2 months I may buy it.

I definately would like to hear your experiences with it and see what you think after a few range trips.

denster
June 4, 2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the input. Took it down for cleaning last night. Can't find anything not to like. Personnaly I like the express sights. Have them on a couple of other guns, easy for my old tri focals to see.

bpisler
June 4, 2006, 10:27 AM
I had a CD hi power clone for a couple of weeks
but i've already ent it down the road.Between
the hammer bite and shooting several inches
high at 15 yards i wasn't very fond of it.I will
say it was 100% reliable and would shoot 2"
groups at 15 yards.Fit and finish was quite
good but i'am much happier with the FM clone
i bought.I don't get hammer bite and it's a copy
of the browning MK III so most aftermarket
parts will fit the FM.There's a detective model
from with a shorter barrel and slide (3 3/4"')
thats a bit more compact.

Sinbad
June 4, 2006, 03:59 PM
Denster,......... they are keepers (qualified), excellent reliability, finishing (twice as clean as my FEG PJK on the inside), Groups great, but (qualifier) the XS sights are a matter of personal like and probably habit. I can't get use to them. Shipping it off next week to Novaks.

Ken

jwmiller
June 5, 2006, 01:07 PM
I have also been looking at these pistols. Davidsons has a sale on these at the moment for $330. That seems to be a good price to me, so I may just have to pick one up.

Marshall
June 5, 2006, 02:45 PM
When you can by FN-HP's from CDNN for $399.00 to $439.00, I don't see too much of a reason to buy a Daly.

wally
June 5, 2006, 03:39 PM
When you can by FN-HP's from CDNN for $399.00 to $439.00, I don't see too much of a reason to buy a Daly.

Or FEG or FM for that matter. OTOH someone recently posted they were out of FN Hipowers and only had .40 and the SFS guns left. Its possible they've got more now, but CDNN usually deals in "odd lots" and when they are gone they are gone.

--wally.

Marshall
June 5, 2006, 03:48 PM
Yep, they may only have .40S&W and SFS's now. I wouldn't let either one stop me from buying the real thing over a clone though, at those prices. Matter of fact, the SFS is rather appealing to me and the 40 Hi-Power is a pretty nice all around gun if you don't mind 10+1.

wally
June 5, 2006, 04:15 PM
When I checked out an SFS HiPower at a gun show, it appeard you couldn't apply the safety by flicking it up with your thumb, you had to press the hammer back toward the slide which then moved the thumb lever up as the hammer came forward. This made me lose intrest in it. Its possible the one I looked at had something wrong, but I haven't had a chance to check out another yet.

--wally.

dogtown tom
June 5, 2006, 08:41 PM
When I checked out an SFS HiPower at a gun show, it appeard you couldn't apply the safety by flicking it up with your thumb, you had to press the hammer back toward the slide which then moved the thumb lever up as the hammer came forward. This made me lose intrest in it. Its possible the one I looked at had something wrong, but I haven't had a chance to check out another yet.

--wally.

That is exactly the way it is supposed to work.

My FN Owners Manual does not refer to it as a thumb safety but as a "cocking lever".

SFS simply allows you to carry hammer down until ready to fire. Then you thumb the cocking lever to go hammer up.

The deals on the NIB FN Hi Powers w/SFS won't last forever. You can always swap out the SFS parts for standard parts.

denster
June 16, 2006, 12:53 PM
Have over 500 rounds of a variety of ammo through the gun now without one bobble. Accuracy is excellent. 2" @25yds with better ammo and about 3.5" with the cheapo stuff. The express sights do what they are supposed to do. Quick acquisition. Not great for target work but adequate back to 50yds on a man size silluette. Trigger is a little heavy at 6.5lbs but crisp with no perceptable overtravel. For $340+tax this was a bargain.

poppy
June 16, 2006, 01:06 PM
FWIW, CDNN still has FN HP in 40S&W, polished blue with 2 10 rd mags for $400 (actually $399.99 not $399). And they still have FN HP in 9mm, polished blue with SFS and 1 13 rd mag for $450.

I have the FN 40S&W with SFS and I like it.

I don't see the point of spending over $300 for a clone when you can have the real thing for a bargin price.

res1b3uq
June 16, 2006, 04:01 PM
FN is the same bunch that shut down the Winchester shop. Personally, I'll buy American made, thank you.(as long as I can)

denster
June 17, 2006, 12:42 AM
Lets see here! $450 for the FN +$25 shipping+$20 to the FFL for paperwork that's $495. I guess if it's worth it to some to pay an extra $130 for the FN logo on the slide that's fine with me. Personally I'd rather spend it on ammo.

poppy
June 17, 2006, 05:09 PM
denster Lets see here! $450 for the FN +$25 shipping+$20 to the FFL for paperwork that's $495

CDNN charges $10 for shipping and my FFL charges $10 for the transfer. So it's $450 + $10 + $!0, that's $470. Sounds worth it to me.

denster
June 17, 2006, 09:39 PM
OK! So if you have a friendly FFL it's $100 for the name. If that is what you want more power to you. To me $100 is three contract mags and 500 rounds of 9mm. I still think the Daly is a bargain. You pay your money for what is important to you.

wally
June 18, 2006, 10:31 AM
Looks like they've raised the price on the last ones, got mine from CDNN for $395 + $10 shipping and $10 transfer. Actually I got got my shipping free becasue I ordered three guns from them. Paid $410+tax for my FN .40 HiPower with three mags at a gunshow.

But I agree as these FN guns run out the Daly looks like a pretty good substitute based on the ones I've seen at shows.

--wally.

BHPshooter
June 18, 2006, 02:21 PM
FN is the same bunch that shut down the Winchester shop. Personally, I'll buy American made, thank you.(as long as I can)

Ha! Then you'd better look somewhere other than Charles Daly for a Hi Power, bud. Charles Daly HPs are rebadged FEGs, the only difference is that final assembly is done in the US. That's not what I'd call "American made."

Have over 500 rounds of a variety of ammo through the gun now without one bobble. Accuracy is excellent. 2" @25yds with better ammo and about 3.5" with the cheapo stuff. The express sights do what they are supposed to do. Quick acquisition. Not great for target work but adequate back to 50yds on a man size silluette. Trigger is a little heavy at 6.5lbs but crisp with no perceptable overtravel. For $340+tax this was a bargain.

That is a decent price for a pistol that works.

Lets see here! $450 for the FN +$25 shipping+$20 to the FFL for paperwork that's $495. I guess if it's worth it to some to pay an extra $130 for the FN logo on the slide that's fine with me. Personally I'd rather spend it on ammo.

Have you ever handled an FN? Ever seen inside of one? The difference between a CD and an FN is MUCH more than just a rollmark. Fit and finish between the two are not even in the same category -- especially when it comes to barrel/slide fit and safety/sear fit.

You got a decent price on a pistol that works well, but people who go for FNs or Brownings are not fools, nor are they people with more money than sense. There is simply an immeasurable quality difference between the two -- that is worth more to some than a little ammo or a few magazines.

You like your CD, and that's wonderful. I like my FN and my Browning, and that's okay too. Personally, I've owned an FEG, an FM-Argentine, a Browning, and the FN, and have handled and shot many of the other makes (like Inglis, Indian Ordnance, Charles D, Arcus), so I think that I'm pretty qualified to comment on this.

People with FNs aren't foolhardy snobs.

Wes

denster
June 19, 2006, 12:23 AM
I never said or inferred that anyone with a Browning or a FN was a foolhardy snob.
I retired two years ago after 35 years in Law Enforcement. For several of those years I carried a Browning HP as a primary on and off duty weapon. I've owned several Brownings (all good) over the years and one FEG (functional but not so nice). I've handled several FN's at the gun shows but haven't shot one. It's my not so humble opinion that the Daly is at least as well fit and finished as any of the Brownings I have owned, much better than the one FEG I owned, and somewhat better fit and finished than the FN's I have handled.
Your experience and likes may differ from mine. Doesn't make either one of us a snob, or wrong, just different. After all isn't that what makes the world interesting?

SOT
June 19, 2006, 04:18 AM
denster,

It's more than a bit odd you think the fit and finish on the Browning guns is better than the FN guns, because they are made at the exact same place, by the exact same people, using the exact same parts and equipment. All Browning marked Hi-Powers are made at the FN factory, and always were. The only difference between a Browning and an FN Hi-Power are the rollmarks.

Why people pay a premium just to get the gun from a particular importer (which is all Browning is) is beyond my understanding. It's totally illogical. If you're getting a standard MkIII Hi-Power it's less expensive to buy the FN than the Browning, and they are the exact same gun.

Now AFAIK, FN only makes the "Practical" for Browning, so if you want that particular model you're stuck paying the extra for the Browning name. However, I've never been fond of the chromed frame on the Practical, and don't get hammer bite from the standard hammer, so I have a couple of FN marked guns, one in 9mm and one in .40.

denster
June 19, 2006, 11:22 AM
I am well aware of who manufactures the High Power. Apparently I wasn't completely clear in my post. The last new Browning HP I purchased was about 25years ago. IMO it and the previous ones I owned were better fit and finished than the recent Brownings. In any case I was comparing the Daly to what I have experienced and observed.
I started this thread commenting on the Daly appearing to be a bargain for the quality delivered. I didn't intend to kick someones sacred cow in the udder.

Dr.Rob
June 19, 2006, 03:54 PM
FEG was a great buy at $200-250.

The fit and finish of my older model clone was nowhere near up to FN standards. But it works.

The AO sights cost about $100 to buy and have installed. The CD fit and finish (it's still an FEG) is way better than it was.

Still sounds like a bargain if you like the sights.

SOT
June 20, 2006, 03:41 AM
I am well aware of who manufactures the High Power. Apparently I wasn't completely clear in my post. The last new Browning HP I purchased was about 25years ago. IMO it and the previous ones I owned were better fit and finished than the recent Brownings. In any case I was comparing the Daly to what I have experienced and observed.
I started this thread commenting on the Daly appearing to be a bargain for the quality delivered. I didn't intend to kick someones sacred cow in the udder.Not my "sacred cow" at all. While I like the Hi-Power there other guns I prefer much more. However, I still thinks it's odd whenever someone talks about the Brownings being better than the FNs. Just doesn't make sense since they are the same gun with different rollmarks. Browning always was, and still is, just an importer, not a manufacturer, of the Hi-Power pistol.

Glad you like your Daly, and since I haven't checked them out I can't comment on that, and haven't commented on that. On the issue of the Browning to FN comparison I do know about that, and stand by my comment that your statement is not logical in the least.

Marshall
June 20, 2006, 09:35 AM
denster,

Please give us a report on the gun after you've had it a while and put a few thousand through it. I would be interested to know what you think of it then. Having never shot one, only handled one, I can't comment on the performance and would appreciate benefiting from your experience. I will say, the one I handled was pretty gritty and obviously not made to the same FN high standards. But heck, it's not as much $ either. When you can get a FEG for less, an FN for a little more, I'm trying to find the reason for the Daly. Maybe it's the sight as suggested? Thanks.

Ascot500
June 20, 2006, 09:47 AM
denster,

A gun that shoots into 2" @ 25 yds for that price doesn't sound like a bargain - it sounds like stealing.

Thanks for the report.

Best

denster
June 21, 2006, 01:50 AM
I'll be putting a few hundred through it later today. I have LE qualifications this weekend with the Sheriff's auxilliary and I need the practice. Can't let the young pups get the upper hand you know.

jon_in_wv
July 8, 2006, 10:36 AM
I have a FEG HP that I bought for 225 bucks from the pawn shop. I put a FN spur hammer and sear in it, better grips, an FN safety, and a SIG rear sight. It is my favorite gun ever. Iv'e won a competition with it, I carry it daily, I can shoot offhand groups of about 5 inches at 50yards easily, and its never failed. I love it. If the Daly is made by FEG I wouldn't give it a second thought to purchase one. It sounds like it is already cut for Novak sights and I would replace the hammer with a spur type and shoot the crap out of it.
I've owned and shot a lot of other guns but I really like this one. Beating people with a 'cheap" gun really ticks them off too. I love it.

Mister Kingdom
July 8, 2006, 05:53 PM
Just curious: Does the Charles Daly have the firing pin safety of the Mk IIIS?

I've always wanted a HiPower, but the real ones are kind of pricy (though those prices on the SFS model look good).

bpisler
July 8, 2006, 06:36 PM
I don't believe the CD has the firing pin safety
but my FM-95 clone does have it.I gather from
what i've read,the FM clones are a direct copy
of the MKIII's.

If you enjoyed reading about "Charles Daly High Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!