New to me Model 10

PDA

kentucky_smith
June 4, 2006, 07:06 PM
New to revolvers and just picked this up. .38 Smith's seem to be looked down upon, but I'm enjoying it anyway.
http://www.crownvic.us/~kysmith/goodstuff/sw10.jpg

http://www.crownvic.us/~kysmith/goodstuff/swk.jpg

Shot it yesterday behind the house, here's the shooting bench.

http://www.crownvic.us/~kysmith/goodstuff/4wheeler.jpg

Can anybody pick out what else is on there? Sorry, it's taken with a camera phone.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to me Model 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
June 4, 2006, 07:37 PM
Looked down on? Not by me, brother! I love K-frame Smiths.:cool:

Lemme see if I can pull up a picture of a 10 that I picked up in a trade not long ago. Manufacture date in mid-1966. The gun is as near new as it can be. Zero endshake and barely a drag ring on the cylinder. Hang on...

Okay! Click to enlarge.

bakert
June 4, 2006, 08:33 PM
kentucky_ smith, nice looking model 10. The one I have with the slender barrel maybe looked like tuner's a long time before it came to me, but even with the nicks, dings and worn bluing it's still tight, accurate and has a very smooth double action and trigger pull. Still gets shot a lot and carried concealed at times. I can see what looks like some nice autos in the pic but can't really tell what they are.
BTW , where in Ky are you? I live outside of Louisville in Lyndon.

1911Tuner
June 4, 2006, 08:46 PM
Bakert...One man's nicks and dings are another man's character marks.
There just ain't nothin' quite like a slicked-up-by-use K-frame, is there?:cool:
Harlan County Ky born here...and my ol' man was on hand for the unpleasantness in the 30s that lent it the infamous moniker of Bloody Harlan.

michael_aos
June 4, 2006, 08:55 PM
I put a couple hundred rounds through a friends Model 10 over Memorial Day.

EXTREMELY fun to shoot.

He had a little extension around the stocks that filled your hand. Very nice.

In fact, I was so impressed, I bought myself a Model 67 when we got back to town.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/162802_large.jpg

swampdog
June 4, 2006, 09:27 PM
I have a model 10-7 with an 1" 7/8 barrel. I shoot this one better than any other snubnose I own. 38 +p are actually pretty pleasant to shoot in this revolver but it is rather heavy for pocket carry. Tight, accurate, with a super slick, well used, double action pull, no one looks down on Smith 38's around here.

Enjoy your new revolver, it looks like you got a nice one. Mine "likes" 158gr bullets, btw. Remington 158gr +p shoot exactly to POA. Play with yours until you find the right round.

kentucky_smith
June 4, 2006, 10:01 PM
Somewhere between Morehead and Mt. Sterling.

The rest of them are CZ's.

I did my senior thesis as an undergrad on the Battle of Evarts and the National Miners' Union.

Trigger pull on this thing in SA is more like a touch. Double is pretty hard though. Can't hit crap in DA. SA it is VERY accurate.

bpisler
June 4, 2006, 10:02 PM
here's nothing wrong with a 38spl,my 3" 10-7
shoots 158gr LSWCHP +P's just fine.

Huskerz85
June 4, 2006, 10:53 PM
God bless the K-Frame. :D I've got a K-38 Combat Masterpiece (1955 vintage--shooting 125gr. Winchester JHP's) and boy do I love it. Nothing can pull me away from those .38's right now :cool:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/huskerz85/000_0207.jpg

Stephen A. Camp
June 4, 2006, 11:22 PM
Hello and kudos on your M10. I'm sad to say that I've owned more than a few over the years, but currently only own two. One is an older 2" SB while the other is a newer 4" RB, but without the lock.

The Model 10 remains a solid work horse and a revolver I enjoy shooting immensely.

Best.

MCgunner
June 5, 2006, 10:20 AM
Haven't fired my M10 in a while. Seems to be a lot of M10 lovers on this board. :D I used to shoot it in matches and beat up on all the revolver class shooters over at a gun club about 40 miles from here. They held money pistol matches about every three months. I went though half dozen 38/357 wheel guns to find one as accurate. It was one of the pencil barrel guns and I stuck a heavy barrel on it. It's doesn't seem to be desirable to purists, but it sure shoots better! I inherited this gun from my Grandpa so it'll never get sold.

I still wanna find a K frame round butt snub, don't really care the caliber. I'd like stainless, but not a qualifier. It's good to have a desire if only for it gives you something to look for at gun shows.:D All the good used K frames on the market makes shopping fun.

Deanimator
June 5, 2006, 11:29 AM
But I'd prefer to find someone who sells bullets cast from the old 245gr Hensley & Gibbs 107A .429 wadcutter mould.
I've never owned a Model 10, but I used to own a 5" .38-200 Aussie(?) surplus M&P/Victory Model. VERY slick gun. If it had been a .38 Special, I'd probably still have it.

I currently own a Model 14 K-38. I use it in my club's DA revolver league which just finished.

I'm casually looking for a 3" Model 13.

Darned if the last five guns I bought weren't S&W revolvers!

Diamondback
June 5, 2006, 02:51 PM
I have a model 10-7 with an 1" 7/8 barrel. I shoot this one better than any other snubnose I own. 38 +p are actually pretty pleasant to shoot in this revolver but it is rather heavy for pocket carry. Tight, accurate, with a super slick, well used, double action pull, no one looks down on Smith 38's around here.
Enjoy your new revolver, it looks like you got a nice one. Mine "likes" 158gr bullets, btw. Remington 158gr +p shoot exactly to POA. Play with yours until you find the right round.

Like Swampdog I have a snub model 10-7. Although she has a few character marks she shoots straight ( also with 158gr. ammo ) and is just as slick as the day I got her !.......however I must admit to carrying my Colt Detective Special more than the model 10.

-Regards

http://i5.tinypic.com/11sjsau.jpg

Essex County
June 5, 2006, 02:54 PM
Gee, I thought I was the only one still in love with the K-frame. I've sold/owened/traded a bunch over the years. Tomorrow I'll pick up a lnib early 4" Mogel 67 I looked at Saturday. I carried a blued Combat Masterpiece in the Air Force. ( it's been a while ). I'm still looking for the right Square But Model 10. I'll find one sooner or later. Best to all.....Essex

cookekdjr
June 5, 2006, 04:05 PM
The model 10 is one of the best revolvers in history.
I miss my 64 (stainless model 10).
-David

Shear_stress
June 5, 2006, 08:33 PM
The only person who looks down on the M10 is the person who hasn't shot one. The K-frame Smith and Wesson is the pistol-shooters best friend, and just the thing for converting dyed-in-the-wool semi-auto people. May you get years of enjoyment out of yours.

P-35/53
June 5, 2006, 09:04 PM
My second gun was a K frame Model 10 , that was in 1975 now I have two Model 10's in four inch and one in 6 inch. Still looking for a 2 and a 3 inch barrel. I caried a Model 10 till my department went to 357 and I bought a Model 13.

Paperpunchr
June 7, 2006, 10:47 AM
I picked up an ugly looking M10-8 with 4" heavy barrel...too much time in the leather had worn the bluing off in patches and stripes, but after a re-blue and a Hogue monogrip it looks as good as it shoots. It was carried a lot but not shot much by someone. Single and double action are both smooth as a baby's bottom, and it's going to be hard for me to give it up to my Dad as a Father's Day present for home defense!
Doug in Colorado

XavierBreath
June 7, 2006, 05:01 PM
The Model 10 is the quintessential double action revolver. Anyone who looks down on it really doesn't know his seat from a hole in the ground. Enjoy your Smith & Wesson. It's one of the finest handguns ever made.

FWIW, I own three Model 10s, but if you count the M&P's there are eight of 'em in my accumulation. I'll buy more at the right price too!

http://www.bayourovers.com/SmithWessonModel10-5snubbie.jpg
Model 10-5 Snubbie

joneb
June 7, 2006, 10:35 PM
My model 10-5 told a few to many fibbs , and now look at it :eek:

ezypikns
June 7, 2006, 11:53 PM
The sweetest firearm I own. Not much bluing but tons of character, deadly accurate, and a trigger you can't get anymore.

Cocked & Locked
June 8, 2006, 12:12 AM
Did someone say Model 10? :uhoh:

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486421/112030102.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL523/3082611/6486421/112030051.jpg

The_Antibubba
June 11, 2006, 02:52 AM
I recently got one, too. It has seen a few adventures, I'd guess.

The wood grips look original, they're certainly worn enough.

On the right side, below the cylinder, is:

MADE IN U.S.A.
MARCAS REGISTRADAS
SMITH & WESSON
SPRINGFIELD, MASS.

It has an oval lanyard ring on the butt, and the serial no. is C547XXX.

Anyone care to take a guess on this?

It works flawlessly-the double-action pull is a dream.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to me Model 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!