1858 Remington and Shot Charges

PDA

Wwalstrom
June 5, 2006, 08:47 AM
Last Saturday, I was planning on harassing the Grackles (aka blackbirds) with my semi-auto shotgun. I'd found several dead baby mouring doves that were killed/evicted from their nest, so I felt I was justified. I had a last minute change of heart, and decided to make it more sporting ... and use my 1858 Remington.

I followed the instructions on the inside of the Ox-Yoke Wonder Wads packaging card I'd saved. The only difference is I used #7-1/2 hard lead shot. Out of 10 shots fired, I downed 7 Grackles, 5 of which were in the 15 foot range ... but 2 were closer to 30 feet.

I LOVE the smell of SULPHER in the morning ! ! ! ! (22 grains of Goex FFFg to be exact)

If you enjoyed reading about "1858 Remington and Shot Charges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
denster
June 6, 2006, 01:06 AM
I'm curious. What did you use for an overshot wad?

Wwalstrom
June 6, 2006, 07:25 AM
Per the instructions on the Ox-Yoke Wonder Wads Packaging Card:
1. Powder Charge
2. Wonder Wad
3. Shot Charge (I filled the chamber to just shy of the top)
4. Another Wonder Wad as an over-shot card

As an FYI, I have a copy of these instructions (the packaging card) scanned to a pdf format. If anyone is interested, let me know.

The Sicilian
June 9, 2006, 01:13 PM
Excellent!

I just tried some bird shot in my Old Army about a week or so ago and it was pretty brutal, dented the hell out of my buddies ammo box amd does a good job at shredding cardboard targets (after a few shots of course). It was lead shot though, I wonder if steel shot would harm the rifling of your revolver? I like mourning doves, kill as many as those blackbirds as you can! :cuss:

-mario.

Wwalstrom
June 9, 2006, 03:41 PM
Tomorrow is my birthday ... and I plan to do some more grackle termination.

DO NOT use steel shot in your revolver!!!!!!!! That would be a good way to ruin the rifling!! If for some reason you have to use non-toxic shot, find some bismuth.

The Sicilian
June 10, 2006, 01:10 AM
I'd never use steel shot in my revolver! I thought you had used some in your revolver but I must have read your post wrong. I re-read it and you said you used hard lead shot, my mistake. I didn't want to come out and tell you that steel shot would ruin your barrel so I figured a humble question would be a better way to give you/somebody a heads up. You apparently already knew that considering you're a pistol instructor and most likely know a lot more about firearms than I do. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "1858 Remington and Shot Charges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!