Something a little disturbing...

PDA

TonyB
June 6, 2006, 12:57 PM
Went to the range yesterday with my couple of months old 642.The gun I've been carrying for SD.It has probably 400 rounds through it.all of the sudden it has major timing problems....it was click,click bang...click click.....I was freaking out!Real good thing I didn't NEED it.
I called smith today and they're send a pre paid shipping thing,so they're fixing it,but I was p'o ed that my life was depending on a gun that didn't work,and I had no idea.
So now I'm going back to my SP101,till the smith comes back and I fire a hell of alot more than a few hundred rounds though it.....:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Something a little disturbing..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RyanM
June 6, 2006, 03:18 PM
Well, that's pretty poopy. The only time I've ever had a click in my SP-101 was with CCI primers that I could feel were seated way too high. Changed my loading technique, and it never happened other than the one time.

EddieCoyle
June 6, 2006, 10:12 PM
Weird. I have something like 10,000 rounds through my 642 with no problems. S&W will make it right.

Dravur
June 6, 2006, 10:19 PM
Cool, who is your hand surgeon?

SouthpawShootr
June 6, 2006, 10:42 PM

No kidding. I didn't even care for shooting much more than 50 rounds each range session using 148 HBWC match loads. Even that made my hand sore. 10,000 rounds? I like the gun, but not that much.:D

Old Fuff
June 6, 2006, 11:44 PM
TonyB:

I would withhold judgment until you find out exactly from S&W what went wrong. Unfortunately today's production methods and quality control inspections (or lack of same) sometimes leave something to be desired. However when they get your revolver they will go over it with a fine-toothed comb and correct any and all faults that they find. I suspect thereafter you'll be satisfied. In the meantime going back to a Ruger SP-101 isn't all that bad.

cslinger
June 6, 2006, 11:52 PM
Just God's little way of humbling you. Not to mention reminding you that all tools are well tools, made by men and they can F'up. Good thing it did so in practice and not for real.

Revolvers, Semi Autos, Iron Anvils they can all break.

Chris

Majic
June 7, 2006, 01:58 AM
What makes you think it went out of time?

aryfrosty
June 7, 2006, 02:02 AM
Shame your Smith messed up, but I'm glad for you it wasn't when things were popping. One dropped many dollars having a 1917 S&W totally rebuilt. 6" Douglas bbl., sweet action job...Julio Santiago's night sights. Too nice to believe. First trip out with it was to the range and the cylinder would turn once, maybe twice and then lock up tighter than a bug's hatband.
After an hour of beating his brains out the smith who built it asked for my moon clips to examine. Every one I had was a little warped. Enough to lock it up.

JLaw
June 7, 2006, 07:42 AM
TonyB,

I understand your frustration, a problem like that is unsettling. Rest easy, though. Smith & Wesson's customer service/repair department is top notch. I sent a Smith 908 in for repair, they covered shipping both ways and had the pistol back to me very quick, if I remember correctly it was in the 7-10 day area.

JLaw

TonyB
June 7, 2006, 08:17 AM
Yeah,they're sending me a pre=paid shipping label....I'll kepp everyone posted.Meanwhile the old SP seems huge and heavy...after only carrying the smith for a couple of months,I got used to it's lack of weight.Hopefully I'll get the 642 back quickly..

Old Fuff
June 7, 2006, 11:09 AM
Meanwhile the old SP seems huge and heavy...after only carrying the smith for a couple of months,I got used to it's lack of weight.

Yes, but if you have to use it (the SP-101) that extra heft will be very welcome, especially at longer ranges. The larger revolver is easier to hold on to, and the weight dampens recoil. The object of the excercise is to place precise hits, and to do so quickly and repeatedly. Anything else is secondary.

TonyB
June 7, 2006, 01:39 PM
This is true...and I do have 100% faith in the SP.It's weird getting used to it again.I do like the fact that I can shoot hot loads and not kill my hand.

EddieCoyle
June 7, 2006, 02:59 PM

I really don't find it that uncomfortable to shoot, even with +P loads. I'm pretty recoil-tolerant. Now, shooting .357 magnums out of a 340 is a different story. That's just nuts. I've done it just to say I did, but I wouldn't make a habit out of it.

To be honest though, a lot of those were my handloads - currently 125gr FMJ over 4.4 grains of Bullseye (or W231).

If you enjoyed reading about "Something a little disturbing..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!