Old revolver

PDA

redrumten
June 6, 2006, 06:20 PM
Can anyone help ID an old pistol? It's a .38 that breaks downward at the cylinder to load. I can't read the manufacturer, but it includes the words "Bicycle Co." on the barrel.

I don't have any pictures at this time.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
GT

If you enjoyed reading about "Old revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
June 6, 2006, 09:07 PM
Wiith so little information and no pictures I can't come close to any identification, but it could be: Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works - Fitchburg, Mass. USA.

lee n. field
June 6, 2006, 09:11 PM
Not much help yet. Googleing on "Bicycle Co. revolver" gets me stuff about bicycle wheel hubs.

Nothing in my Standard Catalog of Firearms.

Probably a turn of the last century Saturday Night Special.

Smith357
June 6, 2006, 09:21 PM
It could be the markings are a unit label. There were Bicycle companies in many armies during the Great War.

49hudson
June 6, 2006, 10:47 PM
Iver Johnson began as a company named Johnson & Bye.
Bye sold his interest to Johnson in 1883.
It was then called Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle works. They made cheap guns, bicycles and roller skates.
I believe you have a 38 S&W revolver.
They made both hammer and hammerless models.
This is the only revolver that had [cycle co.] stamped on the frame or barrel as far as I know.

redrumten
June 20, 2006, 01:01 PM
Here are a couple of pics

SaxonPig
June 20, 2006, 01:16 PM
Don't try to shoot it. Worth $50-$100 as a collectable.

JohnBT
June 20, 2006, 01:33 PM
"1890 - Company moved to Fitchburg, Massachusetts; Owl's head first appeared on revolver grips
1894 - Company became Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works, purchased bicycle shop in Fitchburg and opened first retail sporting goods store"

- www2.arkansas.net/~sws1/ijfaq001.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Old revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!