460 BFR

PDA

GI Joe
June 7, 2006, 10:43 PM
Does anyone have one of these guns? One at a gunshop is slowly but surely calling to me. :D It is a 10" barrel. I had the chance to hold it a few weeks ago and it is definitely bulky, but I would assume for the round's main purpose (long-range shooting), that is a good thing. I've been hesitant to get this mostly because it seems this round was designed more for long-distance shooting rather than brute power like the 500. How does it compare to the Smith & Wesson model of the same caliber? I have BFR's in 454, 475, and 500 so this one might just be nice to round out the collection. And, speed and range aside, just how powerful a round is this 460?

If you enjoyed reading about "460 BFR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
king.460
June 8, 2006, 07:23 AM
I can only answer about the power of the round. It's a bad boy! I have the S&W version and have dropped a whitetail @ 115+. Hoping to join the "200 Club" this year. If you buy one, start out with a smaller load. The 275 gr is my choice for whitetails.

Working Man
June 8, 2006, 07:57 AM
I have BFR's in 454, 475, and 500

Looks like you're missing the .45-70, can't call the collection complete without it.

Boarhunter
June 9, 2006, 11:53 AM
I have the .45/70 in 7" barrel, and it is as fine a hog gun as was ever made, particularly when using warm handloads and 405 grain jacketed bullets.

Boarhunter

If you enjoyed reading about "460 BFR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!