"Extra length" firing pins

PDA

Voodoo
June 9, 2006, 02:09 PM
Anyone use an extra length firing pin on their wheelguns? Cylinder & Slide is offering one for S&Ws with frame-mounted firing pins, claiming that it improves firing pin strike to ensure a consistent and reliable ignition. I guess my question really is...are light strikes on wheelguns a legitimate concern with frame-mounted firing pins? Or is this a solution looking for a problem?

FWIW, the part costs less than $10, so I'll probably pick a few up. I figure it's cheap insurance for my late model L-frames.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Extra length" firing pins" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam
June 9, 2006, 03:15 PM
If an extra lenght firing pin solves your problem, you got other problems better fixed correctly.

Sam

Jim Watson
June 9, 2006, 03:39 PM
They are normally used in conjunction with a low power mainspring so as to avoid misfires in competition. Should not be necessary in a stock gun.

They require fitting in some guns. Follow directions or get expert advice.

mete
June 9, 2006, 04:13 PM
Jim , the correct solution there is to get a proper mainspring. Firing pin protrusion should be about .060" .BTW, minimum firing pin strike can lead to other problems such as vertical stringing !

dance varmint
June 11, 2006, 06:36 PM
I've tried that pin, but in my 686 it was not necessary and it dragged on the cases,
so I switched back to stock pin and I'm saving it for a replacement later.
It could always be fitted.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Extra length" firing pins" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!