Ever Find A S&W Registered Magnum In Your Backyard

PDA

Rinspeed
June 9, 2006, 11:49 PM
I have a good friend that comes over shooting once or twice a year. One of the revolvers he has brought a couple times was what I thought to be an early model 27. Don't ask me why but I guess I never really looked at it that close just shot it a bunch and admired how nice it was.

As I have become more interested in S&W revolvers in the last year or so I started asking him to bring it into work so I could get another look at it. Also I wanted to get a couple pics and write the serial number down for a little research.

So one day he tells me he has in his car so I grab my camera to take a couple pictures. After I take the pics I grab a pencil to write down the serial number and the first thing I see when I open the cylinder is Reg # 4696. I swear my heart about stopped. The serial # is 430XX and what I assume is an assembly # is 306XX. Please correct me if I'm wrong about these numbers.

After telling what a rare S&W this was I ask him if I went to the bank and got 10 $100 bills if I could have it. Of course he said no because it was his dad's at one time and his dad has passed away. I have asked him at least 15 times if I could buy it but he always mentions that it was his dad's and all.

Apparently his dad bought it in the late 50's or early 60's for $15. It has, if I remember right, a King's cock eyed sights, hammer and trigger. Again please correct me if I'm wrong on these parts. The trigger is very light and I would guess at slightly less than 3 pounds. The grips I have no idea about and I would like some opinions on what they are. One thing that was funny was when I told him if he wanted I could start looking for some original era grips for it and they would most likely be $500 - $600.

Any more info on this RM would be appreciated. I told him he should get a check for $30 off to S&W for a letter.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/DCP03402.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/DCP03401.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever Find A S&W Registered Magnum In Your Backyard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Ever Find A S&W Registered Magnum In Your Backyard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!