moonclips pros/cons

PDA

bcuzimisu
June 10, 2006, 01:30 AM
just got a ruger sec six .357 and am thinking about moonclips cause a buddy says they're great. He's kind of a pinhead so i need second opinions. Also i checked out a website and the clips said "cylender requires machining to accept full moonclips". Well, he's a pinhead but i dont know jack about guns right now so what does that mean? (i might be a pinhead too):scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "moonclips pros/cons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Devonai
June 10, 2006, 02:06 AM
Moonclips allow the use of rimless cartridges (9x19mm, .45 ACP) in revolvers, as without the rim they are needed to properly seat the cartridges in the cylinder as well as give the ejector something to push against.

Some gunsmiths are offering moonclip modifications for rimmed cartridges because some people believe moonclips are faster to use than typical speedloaders, the latter of which usually require an extra step to release the cartridges (pushing, twisting).

The only disadvantage of moonclips that I can think of is that you can't top off the cylinder. If you partially expend a clip your only choice is to fire off the remaining rounds or load a new clip. I think under combat conditions, however, one would be hard pressed to accomplish anything else anyway.

Majic
June 10, 2006, 02:21 AM
Your cylinder will have to have metal milled off the face for the moonclips to fit.

rnovi
June 10, 2006, 10:19 AM
In .357 I wouldn't bother with moonclips. I have seen the moonclips for these guys and the .357 moonies are very thin and flexible. I can bend them quite easily with my fingers.

.45 acp moonies for a 625 are much, much thicker and durable.

So, for 9mm & .45 acp - moonies are great. For .357 I wouldn't bother.

jjohnson
June 10, 2006, 10:31 AM
I have a couple of .45 ACP revolvers (S&W 625 and Colt 1917) and use moon clips because I have to - they're made for it - else use .45 Auto Rim. I've done both. You said you don't know jack about guns - that little Ruger's nice, and you certainly can have the conversion done and use moon clips, but if you're new to guns, why start there? Moon clips have advantages like speed of reloading, quite valid especially if you're in one of those revolver competitions and the fast reload makes a difference, but if you're a new shooter, hey, just play with the Ruger as is awhile and save your money awhile - you're gonna want more guns (and ammo) anyway! The conversion may cost you most of the list price of your revolver. If you're sold on moon clips, go ahead. One really nice thing about the moon clips is they DO hold your ammo together if you're one of those who wants to carry extra revolver ammo in your pocket. If it's your defense gun, chances are statistically good that you won't need to reload, but if you go that way, at least when your hands are trembling (being shot at is exciting) you might find it easier to manage. Have fun.

moph759fl
June 10, 2006, 01:49 PM
I use moon clips (steller clips) with my Taurus 45ACP, they work great.
They can be used as a speed loader, but my revolver works just fine
without the clips.

KurtC
June 10, 2006, 08:20 PM
The reputation of moon clips was built on the .45 acp cartridge. Short, round nose cartridges in steel clips can practically be thrown into the .45 charge holes.

Thin cartridges, long cartridges, and more cartridges all act to slow down the speedloading process. For instance, you cannot reload an 8-shot .357 with the blinding speed that you can reload a 6-shot .45 acp.

However, recardless of caliber or number, you cannot beat a full moon clip when it comes to extraction.

Croyance
June 10, 2006, 10:10 PM
A con about moonclips is that they are a PITA to load and unload. Yes there are tools to help you remove shells from the clips, but that also makes it easier to bend out the clips. Those clips need to be flat for everything to fit right.
Leverage is not always your friend.

moph759fl
June 11, 2006, 07:39 AM
The clips That come w/Taurus .45ACP are made for easy clip and unclip. They make nice speed loaders and as a matter of fact are easy to obtain. I have 20 loaded with an assortment of bullets/weights and shot shells.

The Taurus .45ACP does not need the clips to function, the fired rounds just fall out when revolver is pointed towards the sky, the Stellar clips just make reloading faster.

roscoe
June 12, 2006, 12:53 AM
What is the disadvantage to having a revolver milled for moonclips? You can still load the cylinder the normal way.

Croyance
June 12, 2006, 02:02 AM
With that TK Custom method or something like it, yes. But some want the extra metal for case support. I have no idea how important that really is.

Black Snowman
June 12, 2006, 02:04 AM
You can still load the cylinder the normal way.

Well, that depends. Only if you're cylinder is cut to headspace from the case mouth and you're using full length brass. If you cut a 357 cylinder for moon clips and try to shoot 38 spl wihthout moon clips they can be pushed further into the cylinder causing the firing pin to be unable to strike them or causing light strikes. If you use in spec length 357 brass, and the cylinder is cut with a "step" and not a cone then this shouldn't be a problem.

It's also possible that you will be more likely to rupture brass in an over-pressure situation as there will be less chamber support at the base, although this isn't very likely.

moph759fl
June 12, 2006, 06:10 PM
Without the moon/stellar clips the spent rounds will fall out when revolver is pointed up, but without the clips the shells can not be ejected all at once with the extractor rod.

With the Stellar Clip the Extractor Rod dumps them altogether onto your hand.

This is how my Taurus Tracker .45 ACP operates, no expertise in any other system.

KurtC
June 13, 2006, 02:34 AM
When you mill a cylinder for full moon clips, you only mill the center of the cylinder, where the clip is. A ridge is left on the outer edge of the cylinder, allowing rimmed cases to headspace properly.

Nearly all rimmed cases have a groove ahead of the rim, receiving no support from the chamber walls. Milling for a full moon clip has no effect on case support.

About 10 years ago I had this done to .45 Colt revolvers 625, 25, Anaconda and Redhawk. Allowed the use of .45 acp as well as the original .45 Colt.

mrmeval
June 13, 2006, 03:50 AM
My Webley had the entire back of the cylinder milled off for .45 ACP. They didn't even bother bluing the exposed metal. The clips are a PIA, can't do anything with them with your hands and I'd tear the clips up without the tool.
There is a bullet/clip joiner but it's rediculously high priced. Still I get to shoot a pistol with obsolete ammo and sneer at the sissy British officer(s) that went to .38S&W and their decendants that destroyed Webley and Scott.

roscoe
June 13, 2006, 12:17 PM
When you mill a cylinder for full moon clips, you only mill the center of the cylinder, where the clip is. A ridge is left on the outer edge of the cylinder, allowing rimmed cases to headspace properly.

Nearly all rimmed cases have a groove ahead of the rim, receiving no support from the chamber walls. Milling for a full moon clip has no effect on case support.

That is what I thought - so there is no real disadvantage.

just one question
June 13, 2006, 12:35 PM
So...if I got one of my 38 specials converted for moon clips I could use 9mm? I read the thread and I don't get the point? Does it let you use 9mm out of a 38?:confused: :confused: :confused:

(Stupid question I know, I have a few revolvers, but never bothered to learn about them the way I did autos)

JNewell
June 13, 2006, 01:43 PM
Does it let you use 9mm out of a 38?

Probably not very accurately, if at all. 9x19 is .355" compared to .357" for .38 Special/.357 Magnum revolvers.

S&WIowegan
June 13, 2006, 02:58 PM
will not work in a .357 Mag/38 Special revo. because the 9mm case is a wider diameter than .357/.38. Mike them out and you'll see.

Bob.

JNewell
June 13, 2006, 08:29 PM
IIRC, 9x19 cases are actually tapered from head to mouth. Dunno whether the SAAMI chamber spec reflects that or not.

Brian Williams
June 13, 2006, 09:11 PM
9mm cases will not fit in a 38spec or 357 chamber. Moonclips are the best for fast reloads, keeping your empties together and for ease or carrying.
If you have the right person do your moonclip machining, you will be able to single load your 357 with 38s and not have a problem. This one will do it all.
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21911&d=1108998157

Guy B. Meredith
June 14, 2006, 01:03 AM
Black Snowman,

I have to disagree. A great number of the top revolver competition shooters use .357 magnum chambered revolvers with .38 spl in moonclips.

I have altered my M66 and 686+ for moonclips after using a PC 627 VComp that came with them. When not in action pistol competition I load the .38 spl rounds as usual and have no problem with the PC627 and the 686+.

On the M66 the 'smith got overzealous on chamfering the chargeholes and did take away too much metal so I have to tighten the mainspring back to factory setting. The M66 will be getting another cylinder and then to Clark for a proper job.

If you try a revolver with moonclips and think it is what you want it might not be a bad idea to start off there. I spent more on speedloaders that I will not now use than I did on the conversion plus a couple dozen clips.

If you enjoyed reading about "moonclips pros/cons" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!