NO Police Chief AGAIN threatens gun confiscation!

PDA

Preacherman
June 10, 2006, 05:03 AM
This guy just keeps on being an idiot! When is he going to get the message?

From WWLTV (http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWL060906tpriley.6cf653d3.html), New Orleans:

Riley: Those carrying guns during emergency will be stopped

01:40 PM CDT on Friday, June 9, 2006

People carrying guns on the streets of New Orleans during an emergency will be stopped but their gun won’t be taken unless they can’t show that they are lawfully in possession of it, Chief Warren Riley said Thursday night on WWL’s INews cast.

Trying to clear up something that has been the subject of much controversy since Katrina, Riley said that in another emergency situation, officers would check people on the street in possession of guns and will not take the weapons unless they have a criminal record, are mentally ill, or unable to prove they own the weapon.

“They have a right to carry the guns, but they have to prove it is theirs,” said Riley.

Riley also disputed accounts that police had gone into homes and disarmed residents.

Riley said that police did go into homes that had been abandoned or damaged after Katrina and, in the process of looking for survivors, took weapons that he said could be picked up by looters.

According to Riley, the police had 900 weapons in their evidence room and that between 600-700 were turned in by other law enforcement agencies.

So, how do you prove the gun is yours? Do you have to laminate the sales receipt, specifying the make, model and serial number of the gun, and carry it with you?

:fire: :banghead: :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "NO Police Chief AGAIN threatens gun confiscation!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XavierBreath
June 10, 2006, 07:36 AM
In an interview with WWL Radio on June 2, 2006 (http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl060206jbguns.4aac3cf1.html), Riley stated his officers would again seize guns from law abiding citizens if another storm was to hit New Orleans. "During a circumstance like that, we cannot allow people to walk the street carrying guns. As law enforcement officers we will confiscate the weapon if a person is walking down the street and they may be arrested," Riley declared on the air.

It seems Mr. Riley is preparing to become the first looter (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/06/more-gun-confiscations-planned-in-new.html) when disaster strikes again. Thank goodness we now have legislation (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/04/no-more-confiscations-in-louisiana.html) before the Governor to lock him up if he tries. If she vetos the legislation, we will simply pass it again.

I think Mr. Riley is learning quickly from his legal advisors on this matter. He's crawdadding. (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/06/riley-da-crawdad.html)

Leatherneck
June 10, 2006, 09:42 AM
Riley can crawdad all he wants. He needs a trip to the woodshed to learn about the rights of American citizens and how we tend to over-react when a public employee threatens those rights. :cuss:

TC

shermacman
June 10, 2006, 09:57 AM
I think Riley knows full well that in the middle of an emergency no one is going to be carrying around their WalMart sales receipt from 1993 for their 870 shot gun. This means that legal, law abiding, American citizens will be arrested for a community crime watch.

Which is exactly what Riley wants.

armoredman
June 10, 2006, 10:48 AM
Never go to NOLA, ever.

Drysdale
June 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
This guy just keeps on being an idiot! When is he going to get the message?

When they actually vote his boss out of office?

beerslurpy
June 10, 2006, 11:52 AM
Wasnt it Compass who started doing the confiscations of his own accord? Or do I misremember who gave that little speech?

Compass is a hardcore criminal- during the storm he intentionally destroyed private property, stole Cadillacs and engaged in countless other illegal acts besides the gun grabbing. He should be swinging from a tree or behind bars, not retired.

MechAg94
June 10, 2006, 12:20 PM
I have heard people say "crawfishing" all my life, but this is the first time I have ever heard someone say "crawdadding". Same meaning I guess just strange. :)

YellowLab
June 10, 2006, 12:39 PM
People are forgetting that the FIRST PEOPLE OUT OF TOWN WERE THE COPS.:what:

Until the NG showed up NO was lawless... the the idiots started stealing private property.:fire:

BTW, what PUNISHMENT did the NO gubment get for stealing private property? NOTHING.:cuss:

Desertdog
June 10, 2006, 02:57 PM
Pro-Gun Advancements Made in Louisiana!
http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ITNDrop=2264-L

Friday, June 09, 2006

On June 2, Governor Kathleen Blanco (D) signed HB 89 by Representative Eric LaFleur (D-38) and Don Cazayoux (D-18), into law.

This “Castle Doctrine” bill creates presumptions in law for the use of force against intruders in your home, car or place of business and explicitly states in law that you have no "duty to retreat" from criminal attack if you are in a place where you have a legal right to be. This law goes into effect August 15.

Also, HB 760 by Representative Steve Scalise (R-82), which prohibits the confiscation of firearms from law-abiding citizens during a future state of emergency or natural disaster, is currently awaiting Governor Blanco’s signature.

A special thank you to all NRA members for your calls and emails in support of HB 89 and HB 760!

Roadwild17
June 10, 2006, 03:54 PM
I have my guns ready for the "Lawless Period" when there are no cops around, so who is exactly gona be trying to take my gun:confused: ?????

I guess I will have a copy of my sales receipt and registration in the but-stock.

slzy
June 10, 2006, 03:58 PM
did'nt the NOPD set a record once by becoming the only police dept. to have 2 former members on death row at the same time?

Dave R
June 10, 2006, 04:01 PM
BTW, what PUNISHMENT did the NO gubment get for stealing private property? NOTHING.Actually, the NRA sued them to stop ILLEGAL confiscation of privately-owned arms. Good for the NRA.

Looks like this new message might be his way of getting around that suit?

TallPine
June 10, 2006, 04:28 PM
This “Castle Doctrine” bill creates presumptions in law for the use of force against intruders in your home, car or place of business and explicitly states in law that you have no "duty to retreat" from criminal attack if you are in a place where you have a legal right to be. This law goes into effect August 15.

Also, HB 760 by Representative Steve Scalise (R-82), which prohibits the confiscation of firearms from law-abiding citizens during a future state of emergency or natural disaster, is currently awaiting Governor Blanco’s signature.

Put those together in the same context, and what do you come up with...? ;)

Anyone violating the second one is a criminal, right .......???? :p

Desertdog
June 10, 2006, 07:42 PM
prohibits the confiscation of firearms from law-abiding citizens during a future state of emergency or natural disaster,
I just keep thinking how NOPD is going to get around this.

Will failure to hand firearm over to NOPD for "inspection" immediatly when ordered, constitute obstruction of police investigation, failure to obey a police officer, failure to have purchase receipt in your name, using a friends firearm or some other contrived law be all they need to confiscate a firearm, contrary to the law?

atlctyslkr
June 10, 2006, 07:57 PM
I've lived alot of places in this great nation of ours and New Orleans is one of the worst places I have ever lived. It makes the politics of New York look clean. Every time I think things are bad here I just think of how much worse it could be because I have lived it.

It's all about power. You give someone a little bit of it and they act like they own the world. Alot of people from New Orleans have migrated here permanently and alot of it has to do with the way things were handled there. I have become friends with someone who took his insurance money and has not looked back. Let them have it!

A popular thing to do among college students was to go there to Mardi Gras. College students may love to drink but they aren't stupid, they didn't go this year in large numbers and they won't be back for a long time if ever.

Go ahead New Orleans, tick people off around the country. You depend on tourist dollars to survive, lets see how well you do without them.

the pistolero
June 10, 2006, 08:18 PM
People are forgetting that the FIRST PEOPLE OUT OF TOWN WERE THE COPS.

Indeed, and you have those who should and probably do remember it and they still blithely contend that there was no need for New Orleanians to have deadly force at their disposal. "There is evidence that the police were doing their job"...

ConstitutionCowboy
June 10, 2006, 08:53 PM
“They have a right to carry the guns, but they have to prove it is theirs,” said Riley

It is up to the police to determine if the gun DOESN'T belong to whomever is carrying it. Even at that, they can't touch the gun or the person carrying it unless or until the person carrying it does something wrong!

IT AIN'T THE OTHER WAY AROUND, RILEY! Good lord! How did this guy get to be a cop let alone chief of police?

Woody

"The Right of the People to move about freely in a secure manner shall not be infringed. Any manner of self defense shall not be restricted, regardless of the mode of travel or where you stop along the way, as it is the right so enumerated at both the beginning and end of any journey." B.E.Wood

engineer151515
June 11, 2006, 08:26 AM
They have a right to carry the guns, but they have to prove it is theirs,” said Riley.

NOLA citizens really have to straighten this Chief of Police out before the next "emergency".

Truth is, there are no receipts that will be "acceptable". It will be gun-grab II.

How many of the 900+700=1600 firearms have been returned? Those numbers probably do not include those weapons destroyed on the spot.

Riley MUST realize that he is undermining citizen trust with these statements.

Plus, every store owner must realize that looters know future hurricane evacuations are the big green light.

Yes, NOLA has learned their lessons indeed.

Avoid police. At home or on the evacuation route. Folks had their weapons confiscated from their packed luggage after answering truthfully whether they had firearms or not.

Watch out for the looters. Anticipate record number mobs grabing their "free samples" with little concern of arrest.

Indeed - precedent has been established.

:(

progunner1957
June 11, 2006, 09:41 AM
Reprinted from NewsMax.com

Monday, June 5, 2006 4:49 p.m. EDT
New Orleans Police Chief: 'I'll Grab Guns'

The Second Amendment Foundation is calling upon U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to investigate New Orleans Police Superintendent Warren Riley over his announcement last week that police in his city would once again confiscate privately-owned firearms in the event of another catastrophic storm like Hurricane Katrina.

During a live interview with a New Orleans radio station, Riley acknowledged that citizens may, under state law, carry firearms. He said, however, that police will confiscate firearms, and may arrest people, arguing that "During an exigent circumstance like that, we cannot allow people to walk the street carrying guns.”

Last summer, SAF was joined by the National Rifle Association in a federal lawsuit against post-Hurricane Katrina gun seizures. That successful lawsuit in federal district court resulted in a restraining order, and subsequent injunction.

"We believe Riley’s decision is a flagrant disregard of the federal court action, Louisiana state law and both the Louisiana and federal constitutional protections of the right to keep and bear arms,” Gottlieb said in his letter to Gonzales.

"We’re writing to General Gonzales in an effort to prevent Riley and officers under his command from committing the same egregious civil rights violations they did last year,” Gottlieb explained. "It is outrageous that Riley would plan such actions when he knows they violate both state law and the state and federal constitutions. His claim that ‘exigent circumstances’ would allow such confiscations is preposterous.

"We are forced to address this issue to Attorney General Gonzales because we know that anti-gun Mayor Ray Nagin would never tell Riley to relay that order, nor would the mayor fire Riley for willfully violating the firearms civil rights of his constituents,” he said.

"Misuse of police power is a serious matter,” Gottlieb said. "Nowhere in America can a police official violate the civil and constitutional rights of citizens within his jurisdiction under the color of law. We find it necessary to keep reminding administrators like Riley that this is still the United States, not a police state.”

hoji
June 11, 2006, 12:11 PM
In a disaster situation, when looting is rampant, how can you tell who is who?
Answer the door only for people you personally know and trust, and post signs saying that anyone else will be treated as a looter.

myusername
June 12, 2006, 12:37 AM
I just read this http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1492367/posts

It says that deputies of St. Tammany parish took guns from people too. That is the parish I live in. I had not heard of this locally so it must not have been very wide spread but it is upsetting that that order may have been given here too.

mountainclmbr
June 12, 2006, 01:33 AM
One bullet at a time. That is all their dim wits will comprehend.

offthepaper
June 12, 2006, 01:39 AM
"People carrying guns on the streets of New Orleans during an emergency will be stopped but their gun won’t be taken unless they can’t show that they are lawfully in possession of it,"
------------------------
Question:
Lawfully in possession of a gun, or lawfully in possession of a LOADED gun?
They're going to use any flimsy excuse to take every gun they see no matter what you show them once they see a gun. There's going to be a lot of official "miscommunication" of the policies during the next emergency scenario.
:cuss: I've stated it before, and I know some people think I'm a nut case:what: when I say, that in my opinion, Katrina gave the govt a chance to plan for mass population control for future emergencies. Whether it's natural, biological, nuclear, bird flu, whatever, the govt has had to consider what measures it would be willing to take to , evacuate, quaratine, or lock down major population centers in this country. Part of these measures include the use of private security contractors:what: . These guys are not your run of the mill rent-a-cops. They are very well trained, armed, and payed mercenaries, and they don't give a damn about your rights.:cuss:
------------------
[B]Good advice to everyone:
Remember the Boy Scout Motto....

If you enjoyed reading about "NO Police Chief AGAIN threatens gun confiscation!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!