Why frame mounted firing pin?

PDA

bg226
June 10, 2006, 12:43 PM
My revolvers have the firing pin mounted on the hammer. I do not see the reasoning of frame mounted firing pins on the new Smiths, I think they are more prone to failure.

What do you think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why frame mounted firing pin?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
June 10, 2006, 12:58 PM
The main reason for frame-mounted firing pins in center-fire revolvers is that the breech behind the cartridge head is stronger because less metal is removed then with a hammer-mounted pin. Prior to the days when buyers wanted ultra-light aluminum pocket revolvers chambered to use Magnum or Plus-P ammunition this probably didn't matter. Today it does.

Also revolvers that have transfer bar safeties (Ruger and Taurus to name two) need the firing pin spring to retract the pin back into the breech because their hammers don't rebound.

MCgunner
June 10, 2006, 02:10 PM
I've had a couple of hammer mounted firing pins snap off. I prefer the in frame spring loaded ones even though I realize the spring can malfunction on 'em. I've never had this happen, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why frame mounted firing pin?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!