Taurus Tracker 44 magnum any good?

PDA

Doggieman
June 10, 2006, 06:57 PM
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a 44 mag and really like the look of the Trackers. Plus I'm in CA and we can't get everything here (the infamous "not unsafe list"), but the 4" stainless Tracker is available so that's good. I'd just be using it at the range w/ factory ammo, maybe some fondling/dry-firing at home while watching TV. Some gun p0rn pics, looking at myself holding it in various poses in the mirror, you know the drill. If bears overrun the city I could use it as a SD weapon.

Don't really care for the look of the Smiths in .44 or the Rugers. I just think Taurus has really stylish, badass looking guns. Plus I have their single stack Mil Pro in 45 ACP and think it's excellent so I trust the brand.

Anybody here own a Tracker? What do you think of the porting? Does it help or is it just lame? I'm looking for something with a barrel no more than 5" so that removes the Raging Bulls (6 and 8 inch only I think). I like the look of the Tracker more than the Model 44. Love to hear your opinions!

Thx

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Tracker 44 magnum any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
moph759fl
June 10, 2006, 09:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Taurus products, and would indeed recommend the .44MAG, mine is a ported 4" with "Gripper" grips. Its mild to shoot and the porting allows you to come back to target quickly.

They are well made with a solid warranty, I've never had any problems with any of mine. My favorite is my Titanium .41 MAG and at 21oz. it a joy to conceal carry.

With over 500 rounds shot my .44 MAG is as good as the day I got it. I have an IWB holster that will conceal carry the .44 MAG, what a surprise for the BG when I have to pull it out.

MCgunner
June 10, 2006, 09:14 PM
I have two fantastic Taurus revolvers and that titanium .41 Mag tracker is on my want list. :D I have a M66 .357 Mag and M85UL .38 Spl at present. Fantastic triggers and quality guns IMHO and a lifetime warranty.

Nulik
June 10, 2006, 09:55 PM
I've got a Tracker in 44 mag. I definately like the gun but I don't like the blueing much. Always ends up looking like the picture they have on thier website rather than what I'd expect. Aside from the blueing the only things I noticed wrong with it were some tool marks on the cylinder and the way the stock grips banged up my middle knuckle when firing magnum rounds. A set of Houge rubber grips made my knuckles happier.

mnrivrat
June 10, 2006, 10:10 PM
I have the stainless 4 inch as well and have no complaints so far. It is a joy to shoot with .44 Spl loadings and while certainly managable with .44 Mag loadings the recoil is a bit stout.

Remember this is a Medium K-L frame size gun so shooting stout .44 Mag ammo is going to let you know you pulled the trigger.

The proof will be in how the gun fairs over the long haul and I only have a couple boxes through mine so far. My opinion is that if you want to shoot the heavy end of the .44 Magnum loadings you may want to think about a larger frame with a bit more weight.

I give two thumbs up so far but will be shooting more .44 Spl than .44 Mag through mine - just because it is more pleasant to plink that way. Not because I have anything that says it won't stand up to steady magnum loads.

bearmgc
June 11, 2006, 01:06 PM
I have the Taurus Tracker in 44mag with the porting and am very satisfied with it. It is not a titanium one and has the 4in? barrel. However, I recently got a S&W Mountain gun in 41mag because I can be more accurate with followup shots in a 41mag. So now the Tracker is becoming more of a safe queen. Its still a very good revolver for the money.

Doggieman
June 13, 2006, 03:48 AM
sweet. I really like the look of that gun.

Norton
June 13, 2006, 07:04 AM
I can't speak to that particular model, but my Model 83 (.38spl) is a first rate firearm and Spot77's .22lr (don't know the model) is a real tack driver.

Hawken50
June 13, 2006, 08:35 AM
i have exactly the model you describe and i love it. the porting helps with muzzle rise but makes it LOUD, it is without a doubt the loudest gun i have ever fired. the factory ribber grips awsome. i've got probably 500rnds (pretty warm handloads) through it and had only one problem with it and that's because i spilled powder all over it and it gummed things up (long story). after 2 very through cleanings, it was good as new.

as far as accuracy, my best group with my handloads was 1 1/4 in. off sandbags @ 25yrds. the gun is far more accurate than i am. 2in groups are normal.

i plan on using it on whitetails this fall and black bear if one should wander across my path.

if you get one you wont regret it. and if you do i'll take it off your hands.

jrou111
June 13, 2006, 10:53 AM
I LOVE mine.

Be warned, if you shoot this thing at an indoor range, it will drive everyone else out. (sometimes good)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/my%20guns/PICT0081.jpg

Doggieman
June 13, 2006, 12:29 PM
that was my next question, the loudness. I'm actually looking for something that'll make a little noise at the range. Sometimes it's just fun to pull out the big boy and watch everyone else flinch a little then look your way. :evil: :evil:

MrTuffPaws
June 13, 2006, 02:24 PM
Gun Blast did a review of it.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Tracker44.htm

Their only fault is that it has a short cylinder. Some of the hunting loads did not fit.

Hawken50
June 13, 2006, 03:23 PM
300grn Honrady XTP's fit fine. it's the reallllllly heavy specialty cast bullets that won't fit.

jrou111
June 13, 2006, 08:37 PM
It's got about a 12" fireball that comes out the muzzle, and in smaller indoor ranges, It feels like it changes the air pressure in the room. I have to double up on ear protection and my shooting partners keep at least one stall between us.

magsnubby
June 13, 2006, 11:36 PM
I have several Taurus wheelguns. The .44 Tracker and the Raging Bull .454 are on my list of "gonna get" guns.

Doggieman
June 13, 2006, 11:48 PM
sweeet.. I remember when I got my snub .45 everyone said the recoil would be so bad but it's not. And I'm not a big guy. And the 12-gauge everyone's like oh no the recoil the recoil, but I love it! Can't wait for a big bore mag!

Doggieman
June 13, 2006, 11:49 PM
one other question -- what does the "expansion chamber" do?

mikewalker
June 17, 2006, 12:03 PM
Several years ago I bought one of the then new 608 8rd 357 mags with a 4in ported barrel as a hiking "friend" After the first trip I knew it was a mistake:banghead: It was so loud to say it hurt doesn't begin to cover it. It became a range only gun...Not much good as a trail gun if you gotta ask that nasty critter to wait till you get your earplugs in. As for getting back on target faster, practice can do what porting does...At about 900 rds things started breaking or falling/sliding out. The lock-up got real sloppy but it was still accurate enough to walk a gallon can 40-50 yards away across the ole gravel pit.

I replaced it with a GP100 w/a 6 in barrel but even in a good bench rest it was all over the place. That gave way to a S&W 629 Classic SS 5in bbl LOVELOVELOVE like the first girl to say yes:what:

The 608 was my only experiance with Taurus and overall it was not impressive, hope they are better now. Since then I've added a Glock 30 45acp, Browning HP 2tone 9mm, a cammo Buckmark 22, SP101 38/357 snubbie and a SS Redhawk 44mag. (+ a few 1895s 1894cb FN/FAL clone a Mossberg 590...gee is this why I'm always broke?:uhoh:

Spot77
June 17, 2006, 03:13 PM
and Spot77's .22lr (don't know the model) is a real tack driver.

Mine is a model 970. I absolutely love this gun and I know that it will last through generations of my family. I hope to live long enough to see my great grandkids learn to shoot with it.

I've been thinking about a big cal. Taurus revolver, so I hope this thread gets nice and long. :)

Sport Shooter
June 26, 2006, 03:26 PM
Well, my take on a Taurus is not so hot right now. I had the 357 ss tracker blow apart in my hands Saturday at a public range while shooting factory PMC ammo. I only have burns and I am very lucky to have walked away from that incident. Not sure what I am going to do about it as of yet, but you can bet I'll never own or touch another Taurus.

FLORES425
June 27, 2006, 12:25 AM
dang that isnt good.:confused: I want the 41 mag or a 44mag someday. Anyone want to sell??????/:evil:

Doggieman
July 15, 2006, 08:10 PM
might want to contact the company about that. Have any photos of the gun?

michiganfan
July 15, 2006, 08:18 PM
I have one. I love the heft and feel of the gun but I only go thorugh about 10-20 rounds a session and have to stop because it hurts too much. It is a definite fun gun.

jrou111
July 15, 2006, 11:00 PM
Doggieman,

In case you missed it,

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=209924

small video clip

mugsie
July 16, 2006, 12:04 AM
I own a couple of Taurus revolvers - a 357 tracker and their 38 special snubby (my SD weapon). I hand load and have pushed more rounds than I can count through them. Target loads, hot loads, Oh my God loads and have never had a problem with either. Both are super accurate. The 357 has adjustable sights while the snubby is fixed, but still dead on at 7 yards. The tracker is a whole lot better than I will ever be. For the money and the enjoyment, I don't think you'll go wrong in purchasing a Taurus.

Enjoy....

rockstar.esq
July 16, 2006, 12:12 AM
I have a Taurus B446 which is a blued 6" .44mag with a ported barrel and expansion chamber. The porting works well but the ports hit the front sight. This is most undesireable when shooting lead ammo since the front sight gets completely covered in molten lead bits, bullet lube, and general fouling. When I shoot jacketed ammo, the front sight remains clean and pleasant for almost 100 rounds. I have also found that Winchester white box ammo brass will expand in my chambers to the extent that they are hard to extract. Actually, thruth be told they get so hard to extract it actually hurts my hand pressing on the ejector! The gun is very accurate and the recoil is quite managable due to well designed stocks. I learned a valueable lesson regarding dry firing with this gun as the firing pin return spring broke on it causing all sorts of problems! Taurus did fix it free of charge ( along with aligning the crane ). I have a snub .44spl with a bobbed hammer that gave me fits because it had light pin strikes , after two trips to Taurus it now works without arguement. For what it's worth, I paid for the shipping the first time and when I called to tell them it still wasn't fixed, they made arrangements to have it shipped on their tab. So far two of the three Taurus firearms I own have needed to go back to the factory. Oddly, the only other
Taurus firearm I own is a PT-92 and it has run like a top for over 1.5k rounds through it! All in all, I think the reduced price and product support make up for the majority of my experience. That being said, the .44spl was my CCW and having to make do for the two months it was in the shop really wasn't cool. For range guns, I'd buy without hesitation but I can't bring myself to trust the .44 spl until it's run for a while sans problems.

phoglund
July 16, 2006, 01:32 AM
I'd love to be able to contribute something useful to this thread but I just purchased a .41 Mag. Tracker last Thursday and haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet. I do like the look and feel of the Tracker however and wanted a smaller frame as this gun will be carried on the trail more than shot. I don't worry too much about the noise. If I end up needing this gun on the trail sore ears are going to be the least of my worries!!

bigmike45
July 16, 2006, 09:10 AM
I went whitetail hunting about 3 years ago down in South Texas. It was a thank you hunt for the money I spent with him. There was a fellow there that had a Stainless 44mag Tracker that I believe had an 8" barrel. He had a 4x Burris scope on his. I laid his next to my .41mag Redhawk 7.5" with scope and his was massive compared to mine. He told me he had taken several big animals with his. We both shot at the 100 yard range and both guns grouped roughly 2" from a rested position. I was so impresed that I bought a snubby version in .41mag. It is a great field carry weapon and I have even carried it concealed from time to time. Here is my Redhawk along with the Taurus 415:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/MyRevolvers1.jpg

el44vaquero
July 16, 2006, 09:58 AM
Taurus Trackers are alright, but I'd personally try to find a Ruger Redhawk.

Doggieman
July 18, 2006, 01:28 AM
sweet thanks

Troggy
November 17, 2006, 02:09 PM
I have a 44Tracker I got to go hog hunting with my Contender. I LOVE how it fits my hand but the short cylinder bothers me and I hear a lotta bad stuff bout Taurus. I keep flip floppin on wether or not to sell it. I only have 75 rnds trough it so its durablity has not been tested. I have heard that sometimes the Tracker can misfire in DA due to light hammer strikes but that has not happened to me with this one. The quality is unknown (to me) but the design is great. It realy is a perfect backup to carrie with ease for areas that may have lions, hogs or bears (not the big bears) so Im undecided wether or not to keep it. I too put Hogues on it and the fit my hand great.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Troggy/img0575.jpg

mnrivrat
November 17, 2006, 03:22 PM
Troggy

The "short" cylinder is only an issue if you want to shoot bullets that are heavier than the tracker was designed for . It is a medium frame gun , not a beefed up heavy frame.

75 rounds doesn't mean it has been indurance tested, but it does say that the gun is working right - what would you expect to have happen to it ? Pre-mature wear has not been a problem in Tuarus guns for a long time.

I guess what I am saying is that I wouldn't let others scare me away from a gun that you have, you like, and that hasn't given you trouble.

By the way - I also have a Taurus .44 Mag Tracker in SS with 4 inch tube. I've shot a lot more than 75 rounds through it , and I have no complaints.

cfarris2
August 30, 2007, 10:22 PM
I just bought this revolver Saturday. I went back to the dealer today for some good target practice. They have an indoor range. I shot about 40 rounds through it and it is now defunct. The cylinder would no longer close and lock. I started out shooting 44 specials and went to 44 mags. Nothing "Hot" just 240 grain JSP. I shot about 10 rounds of the mags and them the jam up. I am not sure how I feel about the gun now. I have never owned a Taurus and if this is what I have to look forward to then I will never buy another one. The dealer I bought it from has sent it back to Taurus for repair or replacement. We will see how it goes?

Cayoot
August 30, 2007, 10:43 PM
The one nice thing about buying from Davidson's http://www.galleryofguns.com is that they (Davidson's) provide a free, life-time replacement if there is a defect in your firearm. If something goes wrong and they can't fix it within 3 days, they replace it. That's why I only buy Taurus guns (just purchased a 45 acp 145 Mellinium Pro) from them.;)

44and45
August 31, 2007, 10:50 PM
Hello, Cayoot. Still shooting the .45 Colt S&W.

Thought I'd post the .45 Colt Tracker with the Hogey grips on it...looks like the above gun only not .44 magnum.

Hope to find a taurus in .44 special, will put some Hogey grips on it too.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P9030001croppedgoodone.jpg

Cayoot
August 31, 2007, 11:57 PM
Now THAT'S a purty gun!:p

ModernTechnician
September 22, 2007, 12:25 AM
Anyone else ever heard of a modern Taurus revolver problem?

ModernTechnician
September 22, 2007, 12:30 AM
Sportshooter, do you have a pic of the destroyed revolver? The Taurus Rep while traveling through Tucson never heard of any such catastrophic event with a .357 Tracker (although that is probably the response one would expect.)

That it would have blown apart, hmmm. A squibbed round (less than full powder charge leaving a projectile in the barrel and the following full power discharge) would have bulged the barrel maybe a rupture. (Doesn't sound like PMC's stuff at all though!) And to have burned your hand, you would have to have been holding the revolver by the barrel with your hand or arm exposed to cylinder gap gases and not many are that foolish (more than once.)

A juvenile heavily overcharged hand load finding a way into a box of factory ammo, could have launched the top strap maybe even tear off the top off the cylinder. Really hard to do that in a .357 whose proof load would have been close to that level, (now a steady diet of the stuff is a different matter!)

The dreaded barrel obstruction, well that could be quite bad and might have pealed the barrel back and heaved steal back at the shooter. Not to mention ear damage or discomfort even with good protection.

But only burned hands?

With 50 years of shooting experience I can't quite come up with that scenario!

But I certainly would like to hear more!

=====================================

Watching John Wayne in Stagecoach on the computer while typing this. First time the damned thing has been anywhere near worth its oats!

mavracer
September 22, 2007, 01:41 AM
:evil:I like mine ok,had to finess it a little to elimanate light strike problem.I hav shot a few 300 grn meister hard casts, that chronoed 1130 from the 4" tracker,with no ill effects.If you want to make an impression at an indoor reang load some 200 grn jhps with a stout charge of ww296.:what::evil:
the cool thing if I do my part that load will make one jaged hole at 25 yards.

44and45
September 22, 2007, 07:20 AM
Mavracer, when you say lite strike problem, do you mean the hammer spring wasn't striking hard enough?

I'm in the process of buying an older Taurus .44 special model 441 with three inch barrel, the seller says its fine mechanically but has some lite hammer strike issues...that if I wanted to I could replace the hammer spring.

My final question is, where can one get a replacement hammer spring, Taurus doesn't seem to sell parts, and I'm not in the mood to send the gun to them for a replacement spring.

Wonder if there is an after market source for Taurus hammer springs.

Jim

mavracer
September 22, 2007, 06:42 PM
Mavracer, when you say lite strike problem, do you mean the hammer spring wasn't striking hard enough?
yes and the transfer bar was a hair too short.I used a washer to shim spring and straightened transfer bar for better engagement.

SouthpawShootr
September 22, 2007, 07:56 PM
Sportshooter, I'm sure many of us would be interested in seeing that blown revolver. Not to doubt you, you must understand, just curiosity as to how it failed and how exactly it came apart

A Tracker .44 snub is on my list. I'm getting the next one I see. Decided against it at the last show and now I'm regretting it.

chaim
September 22, 2007, 11:56 PM
I don't (yet) have a Tracker, but I have owned 3 Taurus revolvers and one auto.

My first gun was a .38spl Taurus 82. It was older so the trigger left something to be desired. Otherwise it was a good gun (I sold it in a fit of stupidity when I got a medium framed .357mag- I had some crazy idea back then of only owning a couple handguns).

I owned a Taurus 605. Absolutely no problems. I shot about 500 rounds without a hiccup before I sold it. I didn't like .357mag in a small snub and eventually I replaced it with...

I have a Taurus 85CH. Nice little .38spl snub. I bought it used, it was made in 1991. I have no idea how many rounds have been through it either before or after I bought it, but it has had quite a few. No problems to date. It is a little lighter than the 605.

I have a PT140 Millennium Pro (auto obviously). It is a great gun.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a large-bore Tracker. I definately plan to pick one up in .41mag soon (plus one in .357mag eventually). My only concern about the .44mag would be recoil- it is a K-frame sized gun, .44mag (heck, even .41mag) sounds painful in something that small. Still, if I find one at the right price, I may go with the .44mag instead of/in addition to the .41mag.

longwatch
September 23, 2007, 12:32 AM
Namely the cylinder would refuse to lock shut on a brand new gun after the first 20 rounds of 240 grain American Eagles. The cylinder pin was jammed flush in its recess. Long story short, sent it back to Taurus, they fixed it up, threw in a free trigger job without any fuss. Although they sent a letter back suggesting that I keep the gun clean and only use factory ammo. Anyhow I still have it, and do like it, but the initial breakage does take the shine off my feelings for it.

bluetopper
September 23, 2007, 11:27 AM
You can find replacement springs for your Taurus revolver at Wolff's site at

www.gunsprings.com.

They are very easy to change out. I changed the hammer and trigger springs out on my 45acp 455 Trackers. It made a shooting them so much nicer.

44and45
September 23, 2007, 01:28 PM
Thank you, Parisite, for the heads up on the Wolf spring replacements.

Jim :)

Ratshooter
October 1, 2007, 01:55 AM
I have several Taurus guns now and have owned a few that i sold. The only gun that had a major problem was a 3" model 85 that had cylinder throats that measured .362. The gun spit a lot of lead when fired and was noticeably inaccurate. Taurus did offer to replace the cylinder but i sold it instead.

I have a blued .44 mag tracker and think its the berries. The only thing i don't like is the porting which prevents the use of shot loads. Besides i just don't like ports. Most of the loads i shoot are more of the semi hot .44 special variety, something like 7 to 9 grains of Unique with a 240 grain lead swc.

I have had two taurus revolvers that gave light strikes with the factory springs. The problem was the nose on the hammer was a little to long and did not extend the firing pin far enough for reliable ignition. I repaired this by removing the hammer and using a grinder and taking off about .004 inch of metal. I did this slowly and reassembled the gun a couple of times to check the progress. After i was satisfied with the fitting i heated the tip of the hammer with a torch and quenched it in water. I have had no further missfires.

You can check for this by folding a piece of paper and slipping it between the hammer and the transfer bar. Lower the hammer while pulling the trigger and see how much the firing pin extends and then do the same thing with the peice of paper added. If the firing pin seems quite a bit longer and you are having missfires this may fix the problem. Of course if your not having missfires don't fix a non problem.

I realy like my .44 Tracker. It weighs 35 ounces and fits in holsters made for K & L frame S & W's. I wish Taurus would offer the option of having their guns without porting. I would buy the first on i found. Hope this helps. Thomas.

Legionnaire
October 1, 2007, 05:59 PM
Love the look of the gun, but really wish they made a non-ported version.

44and45
October 1, 2007, 06:20 PM
The .44 Tracker should make an excellent carry gun for those wishing a good thumper. I really like my .45 Colt Tracker it is rather unique as I've never seen another one...period.

However, I've got to toot the horn for Taurus .44 magnum Raging Bull. Got to handle one of these beautys at my lokel gun pusher. It is a much more refined piece of craftsmanship, has two cylinder HE releases...and the grips are really something.

And the price was around $650.00 which I consider really a bargain for something made this well.

Lot of good talk on a lot of forums about how good this gun is for its accuracy...that is what really counts, it can do small bullet group clusters that will amaze you.

I'm temped to sell my Colt Anaconda and get one, though I don't really need it as my going into the woods hunting days are over.

But I still get latherd up thinking about it...:D

Jim

Manymanyguns
May 29, 2008, 07:17 PM
I just recently purchased a Taurus .44 Tracker in a 2 1/4 inch barrel with fixed sights and a hi-viz up front, at 31 ounces unloaded and 34.3 ounces loaded, it shoots very well and is surprisingly forgiving to shoot. i have researched this gun, and haven't been able to find another 2 1/4 inch barrel, and it isn't even listed on Taurus' website. but i would highly recommend this gun if you can find one. grips are awesome and doesn't hurt my hand even after continuous heavy load firing, the .44 specials feel like .38 specials, and getting back on target doesn't take much time at all. The accuracy is acceptable, and is definitely sighted for close range. This gun is VERY loud, due to a short ported barrel, and it shoots quite a large fire ball, and turns many heads at the range. Living in bear country this gun quickly became my camping and hiking sidearm. Hope this post helps. Manymanyguns!

LAK Supply
May 30, 2008, 01:36 AM
Sounds like Taurus must have fixed some of their QC issues on the 44. I watched several of them come back to the store with various issues... came to the point where they were "no longer a stock item." They were horrible for holding up to 44 mag.... almost like they would beat themselves to death with a low round count.

Funny thing is that the 357 Trackers never came back... they would sell and we'd never see the gun again. :confused:

mnrivrat
May 30, 2008, 02:48 AM
They were horrible for holding up to 44 mag.... almost like they would beat themselves to death with a low round count.

While I realize that a .44 Mag should withstand being shot with magnum ammo, I think that one has to also be realistic when it comes to the gun vs the ammo you want to shoot.

My point is that the .44 Mag. Tracker is about an L -frame size gun. One of the smallest of any .44 magnums made. If one wants to shoot loads that are to the high end of the cartridge for energy levels, then a heavier frame gun would serve much better. This is part of the problem as I see it with a lot of handguns. Too many people try to make something out of them that they are not when it comes to the power of the cartridge they are chambered for.

Heavy slugs and hot loads are best used in larger ,stronger, and heavier guns , and if you want the power of a .454 C then get one of those . The .44 Taurus Tracker is a great .44 Spl gun that can shoot moderate .44 Magnums. That is the limit I hold mine to , and it works well.

NM Mountainman
June 1, 2008, 04:45 PM
I purchased a SS Tracker 44 mag with 4" barrel about 6 months ago. My friend purchased an S&W 629 with 4" barrel at the same time, so we had the opportunity to compare them while we tested them and broke them in.

The 629 was better finished and the fit of the side plate and crane was closer. The rear sight blade on the Tracker did not inspire confidence as it wobbled around. It's a design problem that can't easily be fixed, but it apparently doesn't hamper accuracy.

The Tracker had a smoother and crisper trigger action than the 629. Both revolvers had a 3.5 lb. SA trigger pull. The Tracker had 2 lb lighter DA at 9 lb.; but the short, smooth, slightly curved trigger lever on the Tracker caused my trigger finger to slide to the bottom end of the trigger where a sharp edge abraded my finger.

When firing 5 shot groups at 25 yards from the bench, the 629 averaged 1.6" while the Tracker grouped a little tighter at 1.4". (Double Tap 240 gr. Gold Dot JSP.) My 629 Classic with 6.5" barrel can beat that, but not by much.

The Tracker has a 4" barrel, but the last 1" at the muzzle is bored out larger to make a gas expansion chamber to reduce recoil. Combined with the porting, it gives quite a bit more reduction in recoil than just having the porting. But in terms of velocity and muzzle blast, it's more like having a 3" rather than a 4" barrel. Velocity of the Double Tap load (advertised at 1500fps in a 6.5' barrel) was 1381 in the 629 and 1347 in the Tracker.

The 629 weighs about 7 or 8 oz. more than the Tracker, but the Tracker has a ported barrel with expansion chamber. We agreed that the recoil of both revolvers felt pretty similar, but the recoil of the Tracker seemed a little milder.

The muzzle blast of the Tracker was noticeably louder. Another shooter came over and started lecturing me about porting. He explained no gun should ever be ported because it increased the muzzle blast. Afterwards he returned to shooting his .357 snub which was louder than either of our .44's. Later we did a side by side comparison of the 4" Tracker with a 3" barrel 629. The ported Tracker seemed no louder (or perhaps only slightly louder) than the 3" 629. But the Tracker is louder when compared to unported barrels of equal length, particularly if you are standing on the firing line about 8 ft. to the side.

As far as practical considerations go, the Tracker (this particular specimen anyway) seems to be every bit as good as the 629 for carrying as a hiking, camping, and defense revolver. Except for finish, the quality is comparable. Like many shooters, I don't like the porting. But full power 44 magnum loads would be too brutal to fire in an unported Tracker. So for me, the 629 would probably be the better choice even though it weighs a little more.

As good as this Tracker is, I don't think I will buy another Taurus. When disassembling the Tracker, I lost the tiny sear spring. This is a $4 part that takes 10 minutes to replace. Taurus won't sell me the part. They insist that I must mail them the revolver so they can replace the part. They estimate a 4 to 6 week round trip. You got me once Taurus, but never again.

mnrivrat
June 1, 2008, 06:07 PM
You got me once Taurus, but never again.

:confused::confused:

You know, I was thinking that your review wasn't too bad overall until I came to the end . You took it apart and lost a part, and now you blame Taurus for not just sending you a part that is likely restricted because of some attorney that you would likely hire to sue Taurus if your gun malfunctioned and cause injury.

It is what it is - and according to your own review, it is not a bad firearm that has less weight than a S&W Model 29 , shoots just as good if not better than the Model 629 , and has slightly less felt recoil than the Model 29 . AND - you didn't even mention the cost difference !

I'm just saying that it appears you have nothing to complain about, and this is how sometimes reputations get smeared unjustly. I think you had it pretty right until the end guy - sorry you think you got screwed by Taurus, but they have to protect theirselves like the rest of us, and like the rest of the gun industry.

MMCSRET
June 1, 2008, 08:17 PM
mnrivrat: WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44and45
June 1, 2008, 11:45 PM
You lost a spring and now you're pissed??? :what:

Please grow up. :neener:

Jim

NM Mountainman
June 2, 2008, 01:05 AM
You lost a spring and now you're pissed???

Please grow up.

Thanks for the feedback. (But would you have still have had the sarcastic attitude if the spring had broken during normal use, instead of being lost?)

Perhaps I deserved some of the critical comments because of the flippant wording in my last sentence. The sentence did not accurately express my feelings or attitude. I do not think Taurus did anything wrong with their parts policy. I believe Taurus deserves a lot of credit for making good quality guns at reasonable prices. I was simply trying to make the point that I prefer to do business with a company who makes a greater effort to make their parts more readily available.

If a part from my S&W 629 were to break, wear out, or become misplaced, I can buy many of the more common parts from my local gunsmith. If I can't find the part locally,
S&W (or a parts dealer) will ship the part to me or to my gunsmith. There is no reason why Taurus could not make their parts more conveniently available in a similar fashion.

It's called customer service.

mnrivrat
June 2, 2008, 01:51 AM
Point taken !

- Poor customer service seems to be the weakest part of the Taurus business practice if I read and understand most complaints regarding them. I have only delt with them twice and both times were for my aunts gun, and both times I received service that I could not complain about. Others however seem to have more difficulty.

Times change, and issues of parts availablility have become influenced by law suits . This last year for example Mossberg stopped selling the trigger gaurd as a seperate part for their Model 500 shotguns. You must now buy the completed trigger housing and all parts assembled.

The attorneys have had a field day trying to make big money off every major company for the most rediculous of reasons. Wether that is for serving a hot cup of coffee, or supplying a spring that is "critical" to the firing mechanizim to a non-trained gun owner, it all adds up to restrictions.

44and45
June 2, 2008, 10:42 AM
NM Mountainman, sorry to put a burr under you're saddle, but bashing Taurus for what happen to you is putting a burr under the saddle of those who enjoy those guns.

You should not tell us from your experience to NOT buy Taurus products, last time I checked its still a free country to buy whatever we want to buy.

Springs are not impossible to find at other sources, I had to make an adjustment on a hammer spring on my model 441 because the spring tension was a bit weak on indenting the primers. A local machine shop can be of great help, as well as a competent gunsmith...good luck on finding the latter.

My two Taurus revolvers are good accurate shooters and I'm well pleased with them.

When I read anti bashing of this maker it puts a burr under my saddle.

Jim

NM Mountainman
June 2, 2008, 04:03 PM
NM Mountainman, sorry to put a burr under you're saddle, but bashing Taurus for what happen to you is putting a burr under the saddle of those who enjoy those guns.

You should not tell us from your experience to NOT buy Taurus products, last time I checked its still a free country to buy whatever we want to buy.

I did not bash Taurus nor did I suggest that anyone should avoid purchasing Taurus guns. I simply stated that I intended to stop buying guns from them.

sorry you think you got screwed by Taurus, but they have to protect theirselves like the rest of us, and like the rest of the gun industry.

I don't believe I got screwed (although my poor choice of words may have made it sound that way.) Taurus did nothing wrong. I just don't like their policy of not selling parts to me or to my gunsmith.

A lot of my friends come to me for advice when purchasing guns and other outdoor equipment. I have never discouraged any of them from getting a Taurus. Last week I helped two friends select (and purchase) Taurus revolvers.

Taurus generally makes good guns, and I am very happy with the quality and performance of my Tracker. After re-thinking the situation in the light of some of the feedback I have received, I have decided to change my mind. In the future, whenever I am considering the purchase of a new gun, I will once again (as in years past) give Taurus products an open minded consideration if they make a gun of the type I am seeking.

Times change, and issues of parts availablility have become influenced by law suits .

Thanks for the reminder. This is an important point to keep in mind. All of the gun and ammunition makers are having to be more and more careful to avoid liability problems just to stay in business.

Springs are not impossible to find at other sources,

Quite true. I located a suitable spring at my local watch repair shop. The cost was $2.

Once again, thanks for your comments.

JWilliam62
April 19, 2009, 09:27 AM
Purchased a Tracker .44 last week.(10 April 09) Shot approx. 90 rounds of 44 spl. Accuracy is very good. Recoil very mild. Malfunction started. Same cyl. hole each time, when using either single or double action hammer would come back approx. 1/4 inch then stop. Would fire when using two fingers sometimes. Called Taurus, advised them I had the revolver a week, Customer service issued a repair order number, apologized for the inconvenience, stated repair would take approx. 4/6 weeks.

My first Taurus revolver, Gaucho also broke under 100 rounds and was returned for repair. Took almost 4 months.

Also own a PT 1911, this auto functions flawlessly

Like there firearms, just wish there turn around time for repair was quicker.

Brian Williams
April 19, 2009, 10:17 AM
I had 2 Taurus revolvers, A 608 357 eight shooter and a 445 45 Colt 5 shooter. The 45 was ok the 357 sucked.

Taurus_9mm
April 19, 2009, 09:11 PM
I can't comment on the Tracker in .44 Magnum since I don't own one but I do have two Trackers in other chamberings, a .357 Magnum and .22LR. The .22 I've not had for long but have had the .357 for about 4 years now without any problems of which to speak.

www.taurusarmed.net www.gunnerforum.com

JWilliam62
April 20, 2009, 06:46 PM
Fed X picked up my Tracker 44 this morning for shipment to Taurus. Now the wait begins.

JWilliam62
June 12, 2009, 05:57 PM
Received my Taurus .44 Tracker this afternoon via Fed X
Will advise tomorrow if the problem was corrected. Took 3 days shy of two months for the repair.

JWilliam62
July 24, 2009, 09:50 PM
Tracker shooting well after 50 rounds. Hopefully it will stay that way.

JWilliam62
February 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
Appears my Tracker is fixed. No more malfunctions. Accuracy very good.

jad0110
February 27, 2010, 11:35 PM
Wow, this zombie thread just won't die! It has been resurrected 5 times in my counting.

Apparently, the .44 Tracker isn't enough gun to put this zombie thread down. 375 H&H? :D

Fatdaddy
October 23, 2013, 12:08 AM
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/lowangz/Kabooom_zps8416b7a7.jpg (http://s693.photobucket.com/user/lowangz/media/Kabooom_zps8416b7a7.jpg.html)

MrDig
October 23, 2013, 02:07 PM
I have a blued 44 Tracker with a 6 inch Bbl I like it it seems a little light for full magnum loads but not overwhelming.
I might buy a heavier 44 magnum if I had it to do over again but mechanically and fit and finish are all fine on the Tracker I have. I would not tell someone not to buy one. I would agree that it is a good choice for the price point as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Tracker 44 magnum any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!