Reloading Newbie

PDA

.38special
June 10, 2006, 07:31 PM
Hey guys, Ive had many hanguns, especially .357s, so i recently decided to start reloading .38specials. I bought all the equitment needed from a friend at work, and i have a few questions

In the blue Midway tumbler i recieved, i was wondering how many casses i could clean at once and how much media i have to use, and also for how long.

And can the media be reused?

How do i know how deep the bullet needs to be seated in the case?

And how do i know how deeply the case needs to be resized by?

Thank you all very much and any input would be appreciated?

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading Newbie" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lee n. field
June 10, 2006, 08:40 PM
And can the media be reused?

Yes.

How do i know how deep the bullet needs to be seated in the case?

To the crimping cannulure, if there is one, or per the load data otherwise.

And how do i know how deeply the case needs to be resized by?

Adjust the sizing die per the instructions that came with it, or until it just barely short of the shell holder when the press' ram is all the way up.

i was wondering how many casses i could clean at once and how much media i have to use, and also for how long.

A bunch, cover the cases, and, uhh, a while. :)

Got a manual (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C50ZZ/qid=1149982338/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-7977613-6805404?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3375251)? Get one if you don't.

(My goodness, here's someone selling the Lyman manual for $100 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C50MK/qid=1149982338/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-7977613-6805404?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3375251)!, and not the current version at that. :fire: )

.38special
June 10, 2006, 11:55 PM
Thank you very much for the answers, how many times do you think the media can be used again??

Also, the stuff came with a case trimmer and a measure, does every .38 case have to be trimmed exacty or is it for custom loads?

facedown
June 11, 2006, 12:17 AM
Thank you very much for the answers, how many times do you think the media can be used again??

6 to 10 times or so. Use it until it turns sort of greenish and seems to take forever to clean the brass.

Also, the stuff came with a case trimmer and a measure, does every .38 case have to be trimmed exacty or is it for custom loads?

Trimming to size is seldom needed for pistol casings.

It sounds like you might want to pick up a couple of manuals and read the general sections to get a solid feel for the overall process. Lyman, Speer, Lee, and the NRA all have good manuals for detailed info.

Good luck with your new-found affliction! :D

Jmurman
June 11, 2006, 05:57 AM
I'd also like to ask...when you finish with a batch of brass, do you leave the media in the tumbler or take it out? If you do take it out, I would assume you'd store it separately, right?

I don't want to do anything to hurt my tumbler.

BTW my first batch of tumbled brass yesterday took quite a while to scrub the corrosion off. I'm using walnut mixed with a small amount of Midway case cleaner. The finished product looks pretty good.

loadedround
June 11, 2006, 11:49 AM
Buy a media sifter to seperate your cases from the media and dump the media back into the tumbler. The treated media will not hurt your tumbler.

Hutch
June 12, 2006, 07:46 PM
Another tip on media. You can look in the Yellow pages under "Abrasives", and get ground corncob for MUCH less than elsewhere. All you do is add a tablespoon or two of liquid car wax/polish, and you're good-to-go. Last time I bought some, it was ~ $15.00 for fifty pounds of media. That'll do for a looooong time.

Smokey Joe
June 13, 2006, 01:40 AM
.38spcl--Good answers above, especially the comment about get a loading manual if you don't have one. I'd also reccommend The ABC's of Reloading also, put out by Krause Publishing www.krause.com It is a great how-to and more importantly why-and-why-not to kind of book. It covers all the basics and goes considerably beyond them, also. Get it @ yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, or the I'net.

Another cheaper source of case polishing medium is a large pet-supply store. Ground corncob, and ground walnut shell are both available cheap in large bags--apparently people put either one in the bottom of lizard cages.

tube_ee
June 13, 2006, 02:24 AM
How many case to put in? I add them until the noise level goes from "loud" to "LOUD!!!" Or, If I can, a little bit less than that.

Trimming? Well, the consensus around here seems to be that you don't often need to, but I find that my .38 special cases need to be trimmed. At least, my Lee case trimmer seems to be removing some metal from most of them. That's with book loads of Bullseye. With the Green Dot I'm using now, I haven't trimmed any of the first batch yet, I'll let you know. Factory-reloaded .357 magnums seem to need much less trimming. The .38 brass is older, I got it from my Dad, along with the press and stuff. Do need to? Maybe not, there's only a few thousandths being taken off, but it seems to make seating a lot more consistent. Before we trimmed all our cases, the bullet / case interface would keep moving around a bit. With trimmed and deburred cases, that doesn't happen. It sure takes a long time, and if I can get away from it, I will.

--Shannon

Barr
June 14, 2006, 01:35 PM
I have never trimmed any of my straight walled pistol cases and not had a problem. Most of my cases have been through at least 3-5 loads each. Also, I have the blue tumbler from Midway and the more cases I have in it the better and faster it seems to clean them. I leave the media in my tumbler and have had no problems with it. Just a word of caution I would not mix cases of radically different diameters like 9mm and .45 auto. The cases tend to get stuck inside on another with media sandwiching them in there very tightly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading Newbie" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!