Coyote Recipes

PDA

oldhammy1
June 12, 2006, 11:33 AM
I am going to go out coyote hunting in the next few weeks. Since I always try to eat what I kill, I wanted to find out how you cook up these little guys. Anyone with a great coyote recipe out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "Coyote Recipes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BARRETT
June 12, 2006, 11:47 AM
cooks just like any dog

one-shot-one
June 12, 2006, 12:51 PM
marinade them over night in you favorite marinade.
soak two oak planks in salted water over night.
fire up the grill, place 1st soaked plank on then place marinaded coyote then place other plank on top close grill and cook about 8 min. per pound, remove planks and coyote.
now throw coyote in trash and eat the planks!:D

AzDryHeat
June 12, 2006, 01:15 PM
Hi Hammy,

Like you, I beleve that we should eat what we harvast! :what:

See recipe below...

2-4 lbs of coyote meat
16 oz of apricot preserves
1 bottle BBQ sauce
1/2 purple onion diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Throw it all in a crock pot and let it cook for 8 hours. YUMMY!!

kjeff50cal
June 12, 2006, 01:19 PM
There is always the North Korean Cookbook..... 50 Ways to Wok a Dog:neener: .

hoghunting
June 12, 2006, 02:53 PM
My recipe must work pretty well as I don't have any leftovers. After shooting the coyote, I leave it in the field so the sun can slow cook it. I let it cook for 7-10 days to make sure that it is done. When I go check on it, I find that the neighbors must have crept in while I wasn't looking and eaten it. It must have been pretty tasty as fur and some bones are the only thing left.

oldhammy1
June 12, 2006, 07:13 PM
I was planning on a cheese fondu for the tenderloins, but it's the ribs and chops that I can't quite nail down a recipe for. Maybe chili????

Hardcorehunter
June 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
Man you are tougher than me!!! No way in hell that I would eat a 'yote.:eek:

Olys45
June 12, 2006, 11:27 PM
+1 there one-shot-one!

I'd never even think of eating one of those disgusting creatures... The hide is about the only good thing on them!

AzDryHeat
June 13, 2006, 12:05 AM
Hammy,

Just use a whole lot of Ketchup and you'll be fine...:)

oldhammy1
June 13, 2006, 10:32 AM
Why not eat coyote? Everyone told me how awful, stinky, vile, repulsive, nasty, and gut wrenching eating Javelina is. It turns out that it is extremely tasty, if cleaned right and cooked right. My buddy made them into tamales, and yuuuuummmyyyy!! I found that most who thought javelina was awful, had never had it. So all you who are telling me how bad coyote is, have YOU tasted it?

ID_shooting
June 13, 2006, 10:39 AM
When in Korea, and any other cullure I visit for that matter, I like to try to local customs and cullinary flavors. Along with the Soju, we went out and tried dog. It was ok, ours was slow cooked over a grill that resembled an Habatchi grill, marinated with some fruit based glaze then rolled in cabage leaves with steamed-white rice.

I found it edible, not my favorite, but not the worst thing I have ever had. Even found it more desireable than T rats.

I can't say I have ever tried yote, but it can't be much worse.

~z
June 13, 2006, 01:20 PM
Must admit...yes, I have tried it and no, its not terrible. Every species I have shot I have at least eaten once. Prairie dogs and buzzards are at the very bottom of my list. By comparison, coyote is excellent. I have no earth shattering recipes to offer, treat it like meat (put it on the grill). If it doesnít taste good to you that way, have your buddy turn them into tamales. Everything tastes good when it becomes tamales. If you are up for a culinary experience, try skunk. You will be surprised how good skunk is, seriously! Now cleaning it on the other hand, that aint a lot of fun, however if you shoot them properly (no spray) it is only a moderate bother. Best to goad a friend into it, ďHey, if you clean that skunk, Iíll eat itĒ, seems to work in my experience.
~z

oldhammy1
June 13, 2006, 02:04 PM
~z,

I have to admit that you win "The Man" award. I can't tell you how much respect I have for a hunter that will go to the lengths you have to sample your animals. Funny how so many others will tell you how repulsive something is, when they haven't even tried it. You da man!!!

Hammy

Roadkill
June 13, 2006, 02:05 PM
Skin a few that have had their chest cavity turned into jelly from a soft point .223 bullet and see if you still have an appetite. Or better yet, get a skinnny mangy flea and tick covered one in the dead heat of summer. Folks ask me often what I do with dead coyotes, My answer "absoultely nothing."
rk

Freddymac
June 13, 2006, 02:37 PM
Take 2 rocket skates, 50lbs of ACME brand TNT, 1 large boulder, add 2 earthquake pills, and shake vigorously. Garnish, and serve on a with a Mack truck grille.:D

Sorry, I just couldnít resist.

Carl N. Brown
June 13, 2006, 02:41 PM
I do not eat scavengers. Neither buzzard not coyote.
Squirrel after first frost, fine. Meat eaters: no predators
either.

~z
June 13, 2006, 03:39 PM
I'd have to agree that eating scavengers may not be the best idea ever but I just felt that I should at least try everything at least once. In many cases once is definitely enough. Hammy, thanks for the compliment, the one piece of advice Iíd pass you is COOK THOUROUGHLY!! But honestly, you never know till you try. How tough (or hungry) do you think the first guy to eat an oyster was? A rock with some goop in the middle? But dang they are good!
Roadkill, Iíd wager you have made jelly donuts out of some deer too and didnít loose an appetite (or at least still ate it). But Hammy, donít let your first plate full come off of one of those ďskinny mangy flea and tick covered one in the dead heat of summerĒ that just donít sound appetizing.
~z

Charles S
June 13, 2006, 04:11 PM
I am going to go out coyote hunting in the next few weeks. Since I always try to eat what I kill, I wanted to find out how you cook up these little guys. Anyone with a great coyote recipe out there?

I am impressed with your adherence to your ethics.

My recipe must work pretty well as I don't have any leftovers. After shooting the coyote, I leave it in the field so the sun can slow cook it. I let it cook for 7-10 days to make sure that it is done. When I go check on it, I find that the neighbors must have crept in while I wasn't looking and eaten it. It must have been pretty tasty as fur and some bones are the only thing left.

+1

Charles

Larry Ashcraft
June 13, 2006, 05:18 PM
Coyote Recipes
:barf:

:D

rageofangels
June 13, 2006, 06:24 PM
~Z, a man's man. You should be on a beer commercial.

By the way, was beer involved when you ate a buzzard!? :D

~z
June 13, 2006, 07:05 PM
Only to cleanse the palate or is it pallet. That one Iím not very proud of, it was a long time ago, many many beers ago.
~z

Olys45
June 13, 2006, 10:24 PM
Let me consult my ACME cookbook...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take 2 rocket skates, 50lbs of ACME brand TNT, 1 large boulder, add 2 earthquake pills, and shake vigorously. Garnish, and serve on a with a Mack truck grille.

+1

Good thing I was not drinking anything at the time I read that!

jeepmor
June 14, 2006, 10:01 AM
I was considering this too, but we did not get any last weekend for I'm new to calling....translation, lousy.

I thought about it, but i think I'd rather harvest the pelt than eat the critter. But hey, it might be worth a try. I suspect I'd marinate it a long, long time and cook it thoroughly.

oldhammy1
June 14, 2006, 12:01 PM
I'm telling you, cheese fondu! Have some of your high end friends over. Prepare a plethora of scrumptious cuts of veal, chicken, etc. Add a little pile of coyote tenderloins. No one will know. Just be aware of the coyote meat you are personally eating. If you use a fairly strong cheese recipe, you can get the meat in your stomach without it ever touching your taste buds. Therefore you kill two birds with one stone. First, you pay homage to the animal you took the previous day. Second, you get to watch your friends squirm and try to swallow the meat you have prepared for them. It sounds a little mean, but will provide a good story at future late night campfires. If you have any decency at all though, just leave the friends out of it, and try the fondu yourself.

wolf_from_wv
June 14, 2006, 12:24 PM
http://www.coyotegods.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1864133/an/0/page/0#Post1864133

scorpucla
June 15, 2006, 11:11 PM
I don't hunt coyote, but I had no idea anyone actually eats them. Guess it makes sense...most (non hunters) laugh at me about eating doves....that is until they try it. :D

oldhammy1
June 16, 2006, 12:40 PM
Scorpucla-

Interesting comment. Not to change the thread topic, but I could use some good dove recipes. The one I have that works for any bird meat is:

1/2-1 lb. of whatever bird (chicken, dove, quail, etc.)
1 8 oz block of cream cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 package dry italian dressing mix

crock pot on low for 6 hours. Yummy!!!

scorpucla
June 16, 2006, 02:08 PM
Oldhammy

Try doing a search for dove recipes in this forum.

PM me if you'd like my recipe, which is to breast out the birds, marinate, wrap 'em in bacon, skewer them, and cook 'em on the BBQ with vegetables.

Roadkill
June 16, 2006, 10:01 PM
[B]Roadkill, I’d wager you have made jelly donuts out of some deer too and didn’t loose an appetite (or at least still ate it).[B]

I hunt deer with a 30-30 using 150g sps, even a solid hit in the chest doesn't make anyway near the same mess a .223 round does on a coyote. Little gooey dressing out a deer sometimes, but never kept me from eating it. I guess eating coyote reminds me of an old girlfriend. Pretty good if you could get past the hair and the smell.

rk

swampdog
June 17, 2006, 01:02 AM
I guess eating coyote reminds me of an old girlfriend. Pretty good if you could get past the hair and the smell.

Roadkill,
You are a sick, sick individual. :D I'll remember that one.

I imagine that how well coyote tastes is directly related to how hungry you are. Personally, I hope I never get that hungry, again. I ate a raccoon one time. It was pretty good, but I was also very hungry.

I liked the "planked coyote" recipe. Works well for shad, too.

KINGMAX
June 17, 2006, 10:51 AM
Sorry guys - I don't touch it. I have eaten Bear claw, Coon hash, Gator tail and rattlesnake, frog leggs, :rolleyes: (A jimmy hoffa hot dog ??? someone once said - jimmy hoffa was sent to Kanas City and processed into a box of hot dogs ??? I don't know :barf: ) . HOW ABOUT YOU ??? What has crossed your taste buds you don't find at the local market ??? :eek:

KINGMAX
June 17, 2006, 11:12 AM
:barf: SICK I SAY :D

trickyasafox
June 18, 2006, 10:21 PM
i always thought that animals that eat predominatly protein diets, taste bad. this is why i don't eat coyote. now i could be wrong, but our coyote locally have diets that consist mainly of rabbit and young deer, in other parts of the country where they may be more scavenger like, the taste may not be as bad, but i am not eating them.

espanola
June 19, 2006, 03:45 PM
You guys are tougher than I. No way would I eat a coyote or buzzard! (I think that one's worse!)
I've eaten possum, rattlesnake, bear and even rooster fries, but no way on those two critters.

This relates back awhile to the posts about eating dogs--

What do you call a North Korean with more than two dogs?
A rancher.

oldhammy1
June 22, 2006, 04:03 PM
I am going out calling this weekend. Last chance for recipes. I think the back straps are the most likely cut to try, due to their tenderness. Its just getting them ready for the big moment of truth. Wish me luck!!!

Hammy

~z
June 22, 2006, 05:16 PM
you owe it to yourself to first try it just as meat, nothing fancy, just fire and salt/pepper. From there, you can frenchie it up. But I always feel the need to find out how the meat "tastes" before I try to accent or hide the flavor. Good luck, post pics and your own recipe, I'll be expecting to read about it on monday.
~z

AzDryHeat
June 22, 2006, 05:37 PM
Hammy,

GOOD LUCK ! :)

I look forward to your report on Monday...

grizz
June 23, 2006, 01:05 AM
i'd rather eat barf. :barf: :barf: :barf:

Kestrel
June 23, 2006, 01:18 AM
Coyote tastes a little like Spotted Owl...

runninmike
June 23, 2006, 08:00 PM
Start off with 12 Sam Adams' icey Stock Ales, then I'll eat your coyote.
I'd probably even say I like it.:D
Best-MC

Art Eatman
June 24, 2006, 11:31 AM
I've never eaten coyote, but I've shot a few that looked fat enough to be good eating.

I've eaten cougar, a meat-eating critter, and it's among the tastiest meats I've ever tried.

Art

ezypikns
June 24, 2006, 11:36 AM
was the finest of meats, but I think that even they had some taboos about eating Coyotes or Wolves. I'd almost be willing to bet that any meat was eaten if they were starving though.

oldhammy1
June 26, 2006, 10:14 AM
Sad news. Went out last Saturday, and came home empty handed. We got out about 30 minutes before sun up. We found a place where two washes (dry river beds for the guys back east) merged, and hiked up on a hill next to it. Called for about 20 minutes and decided to hit another spot. Just as we were headed to the car, a yote started yapping about 200 yards from us, in a thick area that we couldn't see in to. They probably were still coming in when we quit calling, but when he saw us he yapped to warn his buddies. Bummer. Then we went to a great spot, up high over a valley, where we had at least a mile view. Called there for 30 minutes, and nothing showed up. It was a little later in the morning, so they may have hunkered in for the day by then. We proceeded to our favorite plinking spot on the way home (polishing off a few jack rabbits on the way). I was ready with my gloves, knife, gut hook, and mosquito repellant (so the ticks and fleas don't jump from it to me). I hope to get out in a month, so I will keep this updated.
Hammy

Scottso
June 26, 2006, 01:19 PM
Would not eat Coyote,not Korean lol.:barf: Ground hogs however have some of the highest protein in there meat. and tasty too. And the Dove breast wrapped in bacon outstanding had quite a few times.

oldhammy1
June 27, 2006, 09:50 AM
I am Hammy, Hammy is me, would you like to try some coyote?
I do not like to eat coyote.

Would you eat it in a box, would you eat it rather than fox?

Not in a box, surely would rather have fox.
I do not like that coyote, I do not like it Mr. Hammy.

Would you like it in fondue, could you eat it in a veggie stew?
I’ve heard BBQ is good, or maybe over mesquite wood?

Not in fondue, not in a stew,
Not BBQ, and not over wood.
I will not eat that coyote,
I’m sure I can’t stand it Mr. Hammy.

You say you don’t like, you tell Hammy,
But taste it taste it, you will see.

Hey this is quite tasty, this coyote
I can really stand it, Mr. Hammy.

So I will eat it in a box,
And I would rather have IT, than fox.
And I will eat it in a cheese fondue,
Over mesquite wood on a BBQ.

Oh how wrong I was, I now can see,
Thank you, thank you Mr. Hammy.

werdna
November 6, 2007, 06:21 PM
any of you got good squirrel recs. ?

.41 magnum man
November 6, 2007, 08:46 PM
I skin those stinking things out all the time. Their stench is so strong you can taste it in the air as you breathe. I don't think cooking it will make it any better!

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
November 6, 2007, 08:54 PM
here's one

soak the meat in buttermilk for up to 12 hours
bread and then deep fat fry that sucker.:D
This is how my wife cooks everything
it works I have ate everything and only gained thirty pounds since i have been married:eek:

10X
November 7, 2007, 03:20 PM
Eat coyotes? mega yucko!

Don't you guys have ANY quality restaurants where you live?

Old CooT
November 7, 2007, 03:58 PM
SQUIRREL STEW

1 squirrel - quartered
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
Rice
Gravy
Dove breast (optional)
Duck breast (optional)

Try cooking the squirrel in one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of cream of celery soup. Quarter the squirrels (3 to 4) mix the two soups (no water or milk) pour over the squirrel cook on medium heat till done (usually 4-6 hrs)

Note: if you have dove breast and or duck breast put that in also (last time i cooked it we scraped the pot) cook some rice and put the gravy on it.

=======
CROCK POT SQUIRREL RECIPE

7 or 8 gray squirrels
Flour
Cooking oil
Salt and pepper
1-medium onion
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2-cans creamy chicken mushroom soup
2-cups sour cream
2-cups water

Dress the squirrels and cut them into pieces. Salt and pepper them, then roll in flour. Heat some cooking oil in a large frying pan and brown the squirrels.Put the squirrel pieces into a crock pot. Add soup, water,onions,and mushrooms.Turn the crock pot to high for 1/2 hour. Then turn thee heat to low, add sour cream, and cook for at least 6 hours enjoy!!

Old CooT
November 7, 2007, 04:06 PM
Substitute the dog with Coyote.

Stewed Dog (Wedding Style)

Ingredients :

3 kg Dog meat, * see note
1 1/2 cup Vinegar
60 x Peppercorns, crushed
6 tbl Salt
12 x Cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup Cooking oil
6 cup Onion, sliced
3 cup Tomato sauce
10 cup Boiling water
6 cup Red pepper, cut into strips
6 piece bay leaf
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 cup Liver spread, ** see note
1 whl fresh pineapple, cut 1/2 inch thick

Method :

* 1. First, kill a medium sized dog, then burn off the fur over a hot fire.
* 2. Carefully remove the skin while still warm and set aside for later (may be used in other recpies)
* 3. Cut meat into 1" cubes. Marinade meat in mixture of vinegar, peppercorn, salt and garlic for 2 hours.
* 4. Fry meat in oil using a large wok over an open fire, then add onions and chopped pineapple and suate until tender.
* 5. Pour in tomato sauce and boiling water, add green peper, bay leaf and tobasco.
* 6. Cover and simmer over warm coals until meat is tender. Blend in liver spread and cook for additional 5-7 minutes.
* * you can substiture lamb for dog. The taste is similar, but not as pungent.
* ** smooth liver pate will do as well.
* Suggested Wine: San Miguel Beer
* Serving Ideas : Rice, naturally.

* NOTES : During my wedding reception, my brother- in-law suggested we add to the feast by having dog stew. Wanting to be part of the family, and having been subjected to all sorts of socials tests already, I agreed. The result was... well.. a lot better than I expected. In fact, it was great! It was only later I found out that dog should
*not* be served at weddings, as it may make the bride and groom flight like dogs during the honeymoon. But what the heck. It didn't seem to have that effect... at least not until a few year later.
* ) For the faint of heart, you can always substitute lamb in place of next door's rover, but the meat will not be as sweet or as rich in flavor.

eliphalet
November 8, 2007, 05:37 PM
IIRC dog is popular in some area's of the world, Philippines maybe? you might find some recipes or just run down to the local market and buy some of this.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/skkkpictures/CoyoteHelper.jpg

littlegator
November 8, 2007, 05:49 PM
Every species I have shot I have at least eaten once.

For your sake, I sure hope you never have to use your gun for self defense against a human. :eek:

351 WINCHESTER
November 8, 2007, 09:54 PM
I've read that many of the Asian countries raise dogs for food. That may explain why my chow chow was such a vicious beast.

stevereno1
November 9, 2007, 11:09 AM
ya'll actually eat coyote?

stevereno1
November 9, 2007, 10:31 PM
how to eat coyote

1 fifth jim beam
1 coyote roast- cooked

drink 10 to 12 stiff shots of the beam
then eat some coyote

scrumptious!

Hudson_Macgregor
November 29, 2007, 02:32 PM
I was a professional chef in China back in the late 1990's. I cooked Dog and wild dog several times.
The best way is in Hot pot stew. Dig a hole in the ground and set a fire.
let the fire burn down to coals
Put a pot of hot water or stock on the coals in the hole and cover it.
Get the water or stock to boiling. Add is carrots, celery, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce.

Take a plate of thinly sliced dog or coyote and using chop sticks dip it in the hot soup and eat piece by piece.

The best part of eating a dog is eating the PENIS. It gives men masculine power. The balls are good too.

To eat these. Cut a slit in the dog and fold its penis and balls into the slit. Roast the dog in a big oven or dig a hole, build a fire with coals, put corrugated tin on the coals, cover it with wet burlap. Cover it with More coals and dirt.

Dig up and enjoy. Make sure a woman is around. These parts are an aphrodesiac. YUMMY.

cmidkiff
November 29, 2007, 04:18 PM
Everyone says that predator meat is bad... and from what little experience I've had, I tend to agree. Every meat eating mammal I've ever tried was just bad.

How then do you explain predatory fish, and reptiles? The only non-predatory fish I can think of that people eat are sardines. Halibut, a very predatory fish, may be the best tasting critter on the planet. Every reptile I know of is either a predator, a scavenger, or both. Turtle and gator are good, though I never cared for snake (perhaps I just haven't had it cooked right?).

What's the difference?

Owen
November 29, 2007, 04:29 PM
just make sure you cook it well done. people and predators are prone to the same parasites.

ksnecktieman
November 30, 2007, 10:50 PM
Meat? I have tried everything I have been offered. I found most very good. I found some I did not care for. I did not find any that I did not consider acceptable when properly prepared by an experienced person. I am interested in the outcome of this thread.
Yes, please, I will try a small piece.

Kimber1911_06238
December 9, 2007, 04:28 PM
I give you credit for trying it, but you won't find me eating any

Cratylus
January 17, 2008, 03:07 PM
cmidkiff,

I suspect the difference is that wild scavengers and predators tend to be riddled with scent glands. Up until extremely recently (1980s health craze) pork was often fed a small-ish portion of meat scraps, and the result was a meat that is actually superior to today's pork in a lot of ways, e.g. better marbling, sweeter flavour.

From what I've heard most wild cats tend to make for a sweet, if tough meat, but can also be tough to butcher due to scent glands. I'd imagine most predators are the same. Fish don't really tend to mark territory like mammals do.

R.W.Dale
January 17, 2008, 06:41 PM
You know nothing will go to waste if you shoot one of the vile critters and let it lie. Nature will make sure that there is no wastage. Buzzards gotta eat too!

KINGMAX
January 17, 2008, 06:45 PM
Wear it, YES, eat it ????

moosehunt
January 20, 2008, 02:24 PM
I haven't (and doubtfully ever will) tried coyote, but I have eaten dog, and that experience has quite a bit to do with why coyote is unlikely for me. In college I spent most of my money on beer, shooting, and girls--in no particlar order. I pretty well wasted the rest. At any rate, I didn't have much for food. I inadvertantly ate a cat (it was in a buddy's frig (he was 1/2 Cherokee) and I thought it was a rabbit--tail was cut off--so I fried it up). When I found out what it was, I already knew it had tasted pretty OK, so I commenced to eating a lot of cats. Cheap! Directly, cats got hard to come by, so I thought I'd try dog, as the population was still good. I did and it was inedible! Horrid! That was enough to keep me from trying coyote, which smells much worse than a dog to start with.

takhtakaal
January 20, 2008, 03:03 PM
I do not eat scavengers. Neither buzzard not coyote. Squirrel after first frost, fine. Meat eaters: no predators
either.

Hmm. Shrimp and crabs are some of the most efficient scavengers in the sea. I eat the crap out of them every chance I get.

oldhammy1
January 23, 2008, 09:32 AM
Quote- "I eat the crap out of them every chance I get."

I can't help myself, that just sounds wrong!!!:):):):):):):):):)

MakAttak
January 23, 2008, 09:44 AM
WHEW

I looked at the size of this thread and thought, "THESE PEOPLE EAT COYOTE!?!?!?"

I'm more than a little relieved to read the shared disgust at the thought.

takhtakaal
January 23, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hee! People actually think that the "vein" in a shrimp has to do with "blood"?

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mshrimp.html

gallo
January 23, 2008, 10:14 AM
you owe it to yourself to first try it just as meat, nothing fancy, just fire and salt/pepper. From there, you can frenchie it up. But I always feel the need to find out how the meat "tastes" before I try to accent or hide the flavor. Good luck, post pics and your own recipe, I'll be expecting to read about it on monday.
~z

I'm thinking yote tacos with lots of pico de gallo or habanero salsa, a side of guacamole, and a cold beer to wash it all down. Life's good.

pbearperry
January 23, 2008, 10:41 AM
All ya need is a lil salt and pepper and maybe some shake & bake cause they taste like chicken.

~z
January 24, 2008, 04:12 PM
We still talkin or have we started cooking yet?
~z

Burrito
January 24, 2008, 04:51 PM
This is digusting.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
January 24, 2008, 05:03 PM
When I was in the Navy... Several trips to the Philippines. There were BBQ push carts with Monkey, (supposedly Beef or Goat), on a stick. Beef and Goat isn't near as stringy as Monkey meat. It's pretty easy to tell what you're not eating. There's always mut dogs running the streets over there. I'll have to bet that I've had dog. Scavengers they were, no different than Coyote.

Mm Mm Tasty!

So, for recipe. Just your best BBQ sauce with a little Beer added.

-Steve

redbone
January 24, 2008, 05:08 PM
Recipe? Cook?? Huh?

Quigley
January 24, 2008, 05:16 PM
As you will surely get nautious just from the smell as you prepare it be sure to have plenty of Pepto and other stomach and bowel medicines handy. After consuming retire to the couch with a puke bucket and baby wipes and enjoy...:eek:

takhtakaal
January 24, 2008, 06:18 PM
This is digusting.

Makes you wonder what's really in that burrito, huh?

ezypikns
January 27, 2008, 07:05 PM
Shoot the Coyotes. Build a blind close by, then shoot and cook the Buzzards when they come to feed. I'll bet they're just dandy too.

Oh, and be sure and open your windows when you try to cook this stuff.

Javelin
January 27, 2008, 07:11 PM
Um... I would advise against eating a coyote. I personally find it repulsive to eat anything from the canine genre.

:)

win71
January 27, 2008, 10:29 PM
Coyote tastes a little like Spotted Owl... Thoes must have been over cooked. Ive always found them to taste kind of like a cross between a seagull and a bald eagle.

MakAttak
January 28, 2008, 08:59 AM
Um... I would advise against eating a coyote. I personally find it repulsive to eat anything from the canine genre.

Yeah, I really don't like eating that genre: White Fang and Call of the Wild are just too dry and Old Yeller has a gamey taste. Where the Red Fern Grows is just too mushy to my taste.

On another note, I think you mean GENUS, not genre.

1911NM
January 28, 2008, 11:45 AM
Have had nice fat puppy tamales made by a friend's grandmother over at 3rd Mesa of Hopi. Would have to cast my vote for 'otey tamales too, but am pondering the tacos. That might work. Gonna have to find a coyote from a diff. part of the country than here though...buncha scrawny rascals. :D

wheelgunslinger
January 28, 2008, 04:00 PM
A lot of things sound disgusting inside a warm house with a nice full belly and a pantry full of food.

I'd eat Coyote.
If I weren't starving, I might trap one and feed it very well for a month or so and then eat it.

Mostly it's just a social taboo. There is no spoon (that won't serve coyote).

There are a lot of people who might get squeamish at the idea of eating bull testes, but when castrating in the field they come right off and fry up nice.
Same with Reindeer.

MakAttak
January 28, 2008, 04:04 PM
A lot of things sound disgusting inside a warm house with a nice full belly and a pantry full of food.

I'd eat Coyote.
If I weren't starving, I might trap one and feed it very well for a month or so and then eat it.

Mostly it's just a social taboo. There is no spoon (that won't serve coyote).

There are a lot of people who might get squeamish at the idea of eating bull testes, but when castrating in the field they come right off and fry up nice.
Same with Reindeer.

True, there is a social taboo.

However, I have a problem with eating scavenger mammals/birds. It is far beyond a societal taboo. I'm willing to try most things, but I draw the line at scavengers. (Scavenger aquatics are a different matter entirely, and it has to do with how the mammals/birds differ from fish. Also, crab/shrimp/lobster are FAR too tasty to give up)

oldhammy1
January 29, 2008, 10:36 AM
Recently I had some doubts about this forum, but I have fully changed my mind. I started this thread in June 06', and after almost 5000 views, and LOTS of comments, I have to say that I am surprised. After seeing these nasty scavengers for so many years here in arizona, I wondered if anyone had been crazy enough to eat one. Well, we had some takers. And I have to say I have great respect for those who have. I hope I never have to eat one, but if it comes down to that, I'm in! For those who did not read my famous Mr. Hammy poem, here is a repost. Enjoy!

Mr. Hammy

I am Hammy, Hammy is me, would you like to try some coyote?
I do not like to eat coyote.

Would you eat it in a box, would you eat it rather than fox?

Not in a box, surely would rather have fox.
I do not like that coyote, I do not like it Mr. Hammy.

Would you like it in fondue, could you eat it in a veggie stew?
Iíve heard BBQ is good, or maybe over mesquite wood?

Not in fondue, not in a stew,
Not BBQ, and not over wood.
I will not eat that coyote,
Iím sure I canít stand it Mr. Hammy.

You say you donít like, you tell Hammy,
But taste it taste it, you will see.

Hey this is quite tasty, this coyote
I can really stand it, Mr. Hammy.

So I will eat it in a box,
And I would rather have IT, than fox.
And I will eat it in a cheese fondue,
Over mesquite wood on a BBQ.

Oh how wrong I was, I now can see,
Thank you, thank you Mr. Hammy.

Owen
January 29, 2008, 10:40 AM
So hammy, did you eat some coyote? How was it? I imagine it being gristly for some reason.

oldhammy1
January 29, 2008, 11:31 AM
"So hammy, did you eat some coyote? How was it? I imagine it being gristly for some reason."

Not yet. Sadly, I haven't shot one since I posted. Been spending too much time on whitetails, quail, and javelina. I will get one this spring though. What do you think about chicken fried backstrap?

Art Eatman
January 29, 2008, 12:46 PM
Not having gone back through this thread, this might be a repeat: Cougar is some of the best eating-meat I've ever had. Never ate dog meat while I was in Korea--SFAIK--but I don't see why Cousin Coyote would be bad...

:), Art

stevereno1
January 30, 2008, 06:58 PM
Art, are you talking about cougar as in the actual cat, or the urban definition? I'd second it if you are referring to the latter!

Curtis
December 12, 2008, 05:15 PM
Howdy.

You know I'm new to hunting predators myself. When I took my test here in colorado, I was surprised to find that if you get a Cougar license, YOU ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO PREPARE THE MEAT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.

Yuuuuck...my stomach turned at first. Eat a KITTY? Now (without getting into dirty jokes) it took me a while to get my mind around the idea that cougars-even tho they are cats-might just be edible. Heck, if the law says they are edible, and if it requires that they be processed, then what the heck?

So...the next conclusion I came to was like what oldhammy thought: then why not eat coyotes?

I googled this question and found this:
"Animals taste like what they eat. Carnivores in general are stronger flavored (and tougher). Even herbivores vary depending on their feed. Predators are also top consumers. All of the environmental contaminants are concentrated in their flesh."

OK, if that is true, then why are mountain lions a delicacy? Shark is an apex predator, and yummy it's good. So I'm not buying that story.

Coyotes DO eat carrion, but don't lions?

The Asians eat them: the Chow-Chow was raised by the chinese for food, and that's how the word "chow" entered our vocabulary. The Innuit eat them, and the humble little Chihuahua was raised to be eaten.

So...why NOT eat coyotes?

I'm up for trying it at any rate. I'll just put my dog in her crate and throw a blanky over the top so she doesn't think she's next.

Hammy, Let us know if you find a good recipe!

wankerjake
December 12, 2008, 05:24 PM
I'll do it. I'm going out tomorrow, if I get a young one I may make some tacos or something. People eat bears, they eat the same stuff. Besides, I hate shooting animals and leaving them but these coyotes are going to learn one way or another to leave the deer alone. The asians eat 'em, the indians used to eat 'em, I'll do it too! My wife is gonna be so pissed...I brought home a jackrabbit my little bro shot a month or two ago. We were always told not to eat them but we were out of elk and didn't want to waste him. We crocked him and he was excellent, and the best part was he filled up the entire crock pot! My brother and I could not finish him in one sitting! I'll do it again.

Side note: anybody ever try bobcat? Lions are supposed to be good...

indoorsoccerfrea
December 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
Stevereno!!:D

I'm gonna try eating yote now...i'll keep ya informed. I plan to go hunting next weekend. guess i'll find out...

rcmodel
December 12, 2008, 05:43 PM
if you get a Cougar license, YOU ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO PREPARE THE MEAT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.I call Shenanigans on that right there!

I can find no such requirement in any of the Colorado Fish & Game regs, as it relates to cougar hunting.

rcmodel

PSYCHOBILLY
December 13, 2008, 10:38 AM
Shoot them and take a pic. Leave for the birds.

SwearNoAllegiance
December 13, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hmm.

I'd try a piece if offered, but you'll not see me being proactive about it.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 13, 2008, 11:26 AM
cooks just like any dog

Oh, you sunvabish, you owe me a monitor! :D :D :D

Oh, and you stuff the yote meat, cordon-bleu style, with crow, possum, and dillo niblets.

~z
December 14, 2008, 09:23 AM
Cant believe this post has resurfaced...However, in the meantime I recently added fox to my list of critters I have eaten.
~z

wankerjake
December 14, 2008, 10:16 AM
Well, I hate to renig but I got this little male yesterday. He was young but I couldn't cut him up. I skinned him out and he had some meat on his haunches but he stunk and I couldn't cut his hams off. Part of the problem is that I have a freezer full of elk, which I know is delicious. I just couldn't justify it with all the elk I've got. Maybe when I run out of elk, now I'm pretty curious.

caribou
December 15, 2008, 08:07 AM
Thats like "Last Ditch" food up this way, in the land meat and berrys.
Its an old starvation tale about the Arctic that go's along the lines that if your hungry enough to have to eat a Dog, Fox, Wolf or Wolverine, you will allways be insatably hungry for the rest of your days.

~z
December 15, 2008, 08:59 AM
You may be on to something there, I have eaten all of them but wolf, and I'm always hungry!
~z

rageofangels
January 3, 2009, 06:09 PM
Now I'm hungry! Anyone have any coyote jerky?

Walkabout_tx
December 28, 2009, 09:50 AM
When I was a kid in college, a few buddy's took me down to "Boy's Town" in Nuevo Laredo. We stopped into a shack and scarfed down some awesome fajitas. (The rest of our adventures down there were a bit on the "blue" side - so I'll skip over them - lol.)

I later found that the were dog fajitas, but still brag about how incredibly delicious they were.

I'm planning on going coyote hunting for the first time later this year and planning on marinading it overnight like I would skirt steak (which once upon a time was considered scrap meat too).

Tasty but easy fajitas marinade:
Old El Paso fajitas marinade (comes in a jar)
Beer - MGD, Beck's or any decent ale
Finely diced onion
1/4 finely diced habanero

Season the meat by massaging in garlic powder, pepper and sea salt

Set in the frig overnight in ziplock bags
turn them over every so often

Fire up the BBQ with some good ole mesquite

wankerjake
December 28, 2009, 11:05 AM
I tried it a couple weeks ago. It was edible. I finally shot one that didn't reek like a skunk (most of them do). I did it like this (link below), except I let it marinade for 24 hrs instead of 1hr. Like I said, it was decent, hard to ruin tacos. The meat was pretty tough, especially for backstraps, but didn't taste bad. I have his hams in the freezer.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=489738&page=2

Bronx
December 28, 2009, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking yote tacos with lots of pico de gallo or habanero salsa, a side of guacamole, and a cold beer to wash it all down. Life's good.
Habenero's , pico, guac, and beer solve a great many problems.

I ate come cougar last week. :)

nastynatesfish
December 29, 2009, 08:13 AM
www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=111937&stc=1&d=1262091867

got a bobcat the other day and ate it. it came out damn nice actually, even though my wife tried to kick me out of the house:D

charlesedwin
January 1, 2010, 05:39 AM
Coyote Soup:

Coyote Hind quarter
cooking oil
2 cups red wine
3 onions, chopped
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper
spices
2 cabbage heads, chopped
8 potates, chopped

Cut meat into chunks and brown in oil. Add wine, onions, garlic, salt and pepper and your other favorite spices. Cook for 30 minutes. Add cabbage and potatoes. Cook until tender. Serve with hot biscuits or corn bread.

41 Mag
January 1, 2010, 08:17 AM
My grandmother raised up ten kids through the last part of the Depression by herself, after my grandfather was killed. Trust me when I say she had a recipe for everything. If it walked, crawled, swam or flew, she had a pan it would fit in. Growing up, I learned real quick, if it hit the ground it went in the skillet. It made me a MUCH better person knowing that simply shooting stuff for the sake of shooting it was out of the question. Still to this day, unless there is a REAL issue with some poor critter, I generally go my way, and let them go theirs. She was only around until I was about 9 or so, but the things she believed in, still to this day are etched into my being.

Yes in those few years I was around her, I had quite a bit of questionable tablefare from her kitchen, but in her house you ate what was put in front of you and liked it or you went hungry. She believed that God put everything here for a reason, and she made do with what he gave her and her family to get by on. Didn't seem to put much hampering on them, they all grew up into pretty health folks.

Like has been mentioned, if your hungry you will eat, no matter what it is. Some might be good, some not so good, but most things will fill the void and provide nourishment when nothing else is available. Have I personally eaten a yote, nope not yet, but there are a few things I have, that I would rather not revisit. Some from her kitchen, and some form my own. There are things that just don't stay put after they are swallowed. Personally I would most likely head straight for a platter of grilled yote, over one stalk of boiled okra any day.

Snakum
January 3, 2010, 09:59 AM
"I can skin a 'yote, I can run a trot line. A country boy can survive."

I tried a plate of ki-gogi prepared by my roommate's Korean ol' lady when I was at Fort Hood. It wasn't bad. Don't know what specific flavor it was made from. But from what I've seen yotes are so mangy around here it'd be tough to prep it knowing I was gonna pare-boil it and fry it up in hot peppers when it fell off the bone. I'll probably try it if I ever get one. I've only seen one here in south central NC but I'm buying a call and giving it a go.

Things I have eaten:

deer
bear
alligator
rattler
squirrel
coon
possum
ki-gogi (dog)
rabbit
wild pig
dove
pheasent
just about anything that lives in water and has fins, claws, or tentacles

CSA 357
January 4, 2010, 07:32 PM
the last one i saw i used 130 btsp over 58.5 gr of imr 4831

Dr.Rob
January 4, 2010, 07:37 PM
Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie...

Seriously I don't think I'd willingly eat a coyote unless it was a dire survival situation. Predator meat can be pretty gamey.

But hey some people think it's fine wedding fare:

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/filipino/00/rec0001.html

lost river rat
January 6, 2010, 04:01 PM
I admire your ethics.

I have had beaver (the dam building kind) and raccoon at game feeds. Usually made as stuffing. Wasn't bad. As with all less than terrific meat, make summer sausage out of them. Even goose and shovelers are great when made into summer sausage.

Arkel23
January 6, 2010, 04:35 PM
Even goose and shovelers are great when made into summer sausage.Goose tastes good without being summer sausage if cooked right.

noob_shooter
January 10, 2010, 01:47 AM
quite honestly, i will eat or @ least try everything i kill.... yes, i will eat a coyote too and have never had it before.

I've had some pretty weird stuff in my life. anyone tried giant grasshoppers or rhino bettles? pretty good.. haha

swampboss
January 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
I call BS on most of you guys. I cant believe that many people would eat a coyote. By the time you skin one the smell curbs your appetite.

wankerjake
January 10, 2010, 10:36 PM
I call BS on most of you guys. I cant believe that many people would eat a coyote. By the time you skin one the smell curbs your appetite

Why the hell would somebody lie about eating coyote??? I will say it took me awhile to actually do it after I decided I was going to. The problem with coyotes is that most of them smell about like your average skunk. People who say things like "oh, I'll eat anything I kill, I would definetely eat a coyote if I shoot one" have probably never skinned a coyote (obviously you have-they reek:D). They are generally pretty foul animals. The one I took some cuts off of didn't smell like a skunk, otherwise I would have passed like usual. If there's one thing I'm not, it's a picky eater, but coyote toes the line of what I'll eat and not eat. They are in fact made of meat though. The fact that they are dogs makes no difference to me, LOTS of cultures eat dog without reservation. Americans are generally overly picky about what they eat. The problem with coyotes is the smell (and parasites, cook 'em real well).

lobo9er
January 28, 2011, 11:48 PM
I have never eaten coyote but i have never shot a coyote. I have zero coyote experience. To me the "anti coyote eaters" on this thread and other threads in other forums sound awful similar to "anti deer eaters" that I are friends and family of mine. Either wont try it cause its gross and wrong or had it once and was horribly prepared so they "know" they hate deer meat and can pick deer meat out a mile away, which I know they cant and and most of them wouldn't know the difference if I gave them a deer cheese burger instead of beef.

Art Eatman
January 29, 2011, 09:04 AM
Enough of the necrothreadia...

If you enjoyed reading about "Coyote Recipes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!