Makarovs which to buy?

PDA

David S
April 29, 2003, 05:49 PM
i hear of russian, german, bugarian....................which is the "best" to buy.............then how are prices?

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarovs which to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mikewilczynski
April 29, 2003, 06:33 PM
I recently purchased a Bulgarian Mak for 150 dollars. It looked like it was never fired or carried. I have put about 150 rounds through it without a problem, this was using diferent ammo. From what I researched there should not be one. The gun is super reliable. From what I found out here in Michigan at least is that the EGs and Rusians are harder to find and cost more.

Zundfolge
April 29, 2003, 06:38 PM
"best" quality is probaly the East German
"best" value is probably the Bulgarian
"best" collectors are Simson Suhl and Miltex special edition models

go here http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html

makdaddy03
April 29, 2003, 07:00 PM
Russian. 2000rds only 2 failures. No Kidding.

TreeSquid
April 29, 2003, 07:04 PM
Which mak to buy? All of them! :D

9x19
April 29, 2003, 07:09 PM
Y'all forgot the Chinese Norincos... also very collectable.

The Bulgarians are the best buys... right now $160 - $180 with hoslter and two mags.

Good luck.

Dave Markowitz
April 29, 2003, 08:02 PM
One of each! :cool:

IMO, you get the most bang for your buck with a Bulgarian Makarov. I have ~450 rounds through mine so far with no failures to feed. I had ONE failure of the slide to lock back on an empty mag, but that's it.

Zip06
April 29, 2003, 09:23 PM
They all shoot the same; function on all is very reliable; accuracy is also similar; variations in workmanship but they all work fine. The only significant question, for me, would be regarding the Russian (Baikal) commercial Makarov. The question would be, "Do I want adjustable sights?" My answer is no I do not because if you carry it concealed you have a snagging problem.

No matter what you decide, go to www.markarov.com for any/all accessories.

cratz2
April 29, 2003, 10:53 PM
I borrowed a friends East German Mak for over a year and got very comfortable. He recently moved away and of course wanted his gun back that he so graciously let me use. I broke down and bought an older Russian Mak (1973, no Baikal markings) and it shoots ever bit as well as the East German, granted not quite as pretty. ;)

Sharpie1
April 29, 2003, 11:47 PM
I have carried an East German Makarov for primary CCW for the past two years. Actually, I've owned two different East German ones. I have about 500-600 rounds through my current one, and there have been absolutely no malfunctions.

I carry Barnaul Hollowpoints in mine -- and I get a box of 50 for about $5.

I was in a local gun shop today, where they know I am a big fan of Makarovs, and I have been bugging them to get a new one in -- and they did finally find a Bulgarian one -- it is priced $198.

I can't tell just by the look or feel, but this gun *seemed* fine to me. I would probably buy it if I wanted another one.

Go ahead and get one - I'm sure you will enjoy it.

--tadyson

David S
April 29, 2003, 11:58 PM
are ALL maks chambered in 9x18? seems to be the norm...

Sharpie1
April 30, 2003, 12:04 AM
Some are chambered in .380 -- a barrel conversion is available.

TD

9x19
April 30, 2003, 12:06 AM
There were a few Russian commercial (Baikal and Imez) models imported in .380 ACP, mags will work with either cartridge, in fact only the barrels are different.

I have one Bulgarian that I put a .380 barrel in, plus I have a .380 Russian on the way from a fellow board member.

I also have a Russian, Bulgarian, and E. German in 9x18mm.

Good, inexpensive, pistols.

Zundfolge
April 30, 2003, 12:18 AM
are ALL maks chambered in 9x18? seems to be the norm...

All the Maks you'll find in the US are either 9x18 or 9x17 (aka .380), however Baikal makes a Mak in 9x19 that is not imported into the US (thanks to a ban on "cheap" handguns imported from Russia complements of Comrade Clinton :banghead: ).

Makarov.com may start selling .32NAA barrells for Maks in the future (they are under development)

Dr.Rob
April 30, 2003, 02:08 PM
Had a Russian mak in 380 that left horribly bulged brass.. seems the chamber was poorly machined. The EG version in my humble opine, is the best as far as bluing, fit and finish etc. The EG ones are hard to find and none of them are "new".

sgtmaj13
April 30, 2003, 02:27 PM
Which to buy and how much to pay? The answer to both of your questions has alot to do with where your located. In my area (metro Philly) a used milsup Bulgie starts at $225 + tax and that's w/o extra mags & holster assuming you can find one. EG, Norinco, Mil Russian, Miltex haven't been seen in two years or more. Saw a Russian commerical at March gunshow for $269.00. OTH SOG has them for $130+ S&H and I'm constantly reading of people picking up EG and Chicom Maks for $150-175. Bulgie's for under $150. Russian milsups for less than $300. So I guess they're out there somewhere just not here. You'll just have to look around alot in your area and hope for the best. I'm at the point where if I find a fixed sight Mak, mechanically sound, and under $175 it will be comming home with me regardless of make since they're so hard to find here. Lots of luck with your search, they're all good pistols, get whatever is available in your area.

firestar
April 30, 2003, 02:29 PM
How about none of them? Why do you want a Mak anyway?

alamo
April 30, 2003, 03:07 PM
"Why do you want a Mak anyway?"

Good lord man, that's heracy! :confused:

Apple a Day
April 30, 2003, 05:54 PM
I have a Russian commercial Makarov. I have very near to 2k rounds through it and have had one jam- a Sellier and Belloit round with a deformed case. I remember it because it was the 4th round I ever fired through it. I thought, "Oh fudge, I bought a lemon!" I popped the round out, squinted at the lopsided casing rim, said," Oh!", and haven't had a problem since.
If you are going to carry concealed, though, you might want one without the adjustable sights. They can me uncomfortable. I have heard of people losing the little screw on the rear sight and having problems finding new ones. I carry mine concealed and haven't had a problem with it, though.
I also paint the sights with flourescent paint, which helps dramatically with the small sights IMHO.
Have fun with it!

firestar
April 30, 2003, 07:35 PM
Just jerking your chains.:neener: I don't like em but the only one I ever handled was a Russian Mak. It was used in excellent cond. for $150.00. It had a gritty heavy DA trigger and generally looked crude and rough. I really wanted one until I saw one.:barf: It is strange because this is the kind og pistol that is usally right up my ally. I like old guns (C&R FFL) and I like small/medium framed pistols, and I like cheap guns also.:D I just didn't take to the Mak I guess.

makdaddy03
April 30, 2003, 07:59 PM
Mine is a Russian 380acp. 2000 rds only 2 failures.;)

mbott
April 30, 2003, 09:13 PM
I don't believe I've had a failure with either of my EG Maks. The EG Mak is probably one of the guns that I'd buy a third one under the right conditions.

--
Mike

David S
April 30, 2003, 09:48 PM
well the Mak was just an idea............cause they are so cheap.........still, THIS just came today, so i think ill wait off on the Mak since this Walther is SOOOOO muchbetter!@

firestar
April 30, 2003, 09:55 PM
Now your talking! That is a gun to bring home to momma. You don't need to be seen in public with a Makarov anyway. Good choice!

vertigo7
April 30, 2003, 09:58 PM
I held off on buying a Mak until I found an East German one. Couldn't be happier with it. It ate every brand of 9x18 I fed it and never failed to go bang. If I didn't already have a pocket gun for CCW, I'd probably be using the Mak.

vertigo7

9x19
April 30, 2003, 11:34 PM
I wish you luck, but my PPK/S wouldn't group as well as my Maks and it had a nasty habit of scratching the web of my hand... I never cared for its internal slide stop either, try dropping the mag and locking open the slide. Hint: You'll need an empty mag inserted first. :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "Makarovs which to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!