My GP100

PDA

packarat
June 13, 2006, 02:04 AM
First off I would like to thank the folks of this forum. Not only did you provide great opinions about my first handgun purchase, but the knowledge that I have gained from reading past and present posts has been outstanding!

I looked at both the GP100 and S&W 686. I almost bought the Smith but something just called me to the Ruger. Couldn't tell you what it was but once it was in my hands it was just kismet.

I received my GP100 6'' SS on May 1st, wasn't able to fire it until roughly 1 month later. Due to not having a range closer than 30-40 miles. I finally found a free for all canyon close to home. I went up to the canyon with .357 158 JHP Federal HydroShocks. Holy hollow points Batman :eek: ! I thought that I may have bought to much gun for my first purchase. Lots of noise, tremendous barrel rise, however no recoil and I hit what I was looking to hit, double handed. Single handed suffice to say I was a bit spooked and did not do so well. My only thought was how was I going to handle this monster as a personal defense weapon.

Well today I decided to try some .38 130 FMJ Winchester to see if I could control this beast. I guess I was feeling lucky (for a punk :) ). After finding that I was shooting a bit high a correction to the rear sights stopped that. I hit everything. This not being a range I was plinking cans and bottles out to 30 yards. I was also able to walk a tin can down the 'range' via Bat Masterson style. I couldn't of had more fun. My only regret was that I didn't bring more that 100 rounds of .38.

When the .38s were finished I had some .357 110 JHP Winchester. What did our hero do next :what: ? I immediatly dropped in 6 rounds and fired them off, I then needed to do a quick clean since those rounds didn't extract easily. After the clean the Mags just about dropped out of the chambers. I was also able to handle these as easily as the .38s. Just a bit more noise, no recoil, and they hit where I was shooting. I did feel some type of 'air blast' against my face with these. It may be the type of round. I do not remember feeling this with the federals.

Over all I have to say this is a great weapon :) . I did change the grips to Hogue Mono-Points as the originals, although comfortable, did not give me a good finger placement for DA. While the trigger did not feel strong to me I mainly shoot SA and the pull on the hammer was stronger than I wanted. I changed these out with Wilson Combat 10# trigger spring and 12# mainspring. I also gave it the polish job that I found in the gunsmithing section.

If you enjoyed reading about "My GP100" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mikeb3185
June 13, 2006, 02:07 AM
i agree, the wealth of knowlage i hae found on ths site is second to none

Shipwreck
June 13, 2006, 10:47 AM
Great to hear it. One day soon I think i'll be getting that very same gun.

steveracer
June 13, 2006, 10:54 AM
I told her to get a GP-100 3". She got the SP-101 instead, but whatever. I have both the GP and SP revolvers, and they are AWSOME!
People told me the 686 and 586 were better, and lighter. The 686 I weighed was actually heavier than the GP 4", and the 586 was nice, and I bought it. I like the GP better, but the 586 is way prettier, and I have to have a gun to lend my buddies when we go to the range. (plus it fits the same leather)
I can't say enough good things about the Ruger DA revolvers. They are the very best design I've ever seen, and shoot perfectly every time.

fallingblock
June 14, 2006, 06:20 AM
"I can't say enough good things about the Ruger DA revolvers. They are the very best design I've ever seen, and shoot perfectly every time."

Not much to add to that...

I preferred Smiths until I owned both side by side.

The GP100 is a fine modern revolver indeed.:)

the pistolero
June 14, 2006, 03:03 PM
That's a fine choice for a first handgun, pakarat....

+1
No recoil, eh? I recall getting plenty of it. :D I picked up a 4" GP-100 a few weeks ago and love it. As of yet I've only shot 130-grain Remington .38 Spl. and 125-grain Remington .357 Mag through it and the latter rounds kicked harder than I thought they might, though not as hard as in the 2.25" SP-101. I remember the 110-grain .357 Magnum rounds did not have so much recoil, though, and I think that might have been due to the lower MV -- 1295 fps (http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/handgundetail.aspx?symbol=Q4204&cart=MzU3IE1hZ251bQ==) -- along with the fact that the round's lighter. Congrats on your great firearm! I know much shooting fun is yet to come with mine.

TonyB
June 15, 2006, 11:59 AM
The most accurate gun I ever owned was a 6"GP....like a dope I traded it off.Someday I'll get a 4" though.....my SP needs a big brother.:cool:

LanEvo`
June 15, 2006, 12:58 PM
Glad you're enjoying the Ruger. It's nice to see someone starting off on a quality mid-frame revolver instead of being seduced by all the "tacticool" semi-autos on the market. A good .38SPL revolver and .22LR semi-auto are just what a novice handgunner needs to become a great shot.

I went up to the canyon with .357 158 JHP Federal HydroShocks. Holy hollow points Batman ! I thought that I may have bought to much gun for my first purchase. Lots of noise, tremendous barrel rise, however no recoil and I hit what I was looking to hit, double handed. Single handed suffice to say I was a bit spooked and did not do so well. My only thought was how was I going to handle this monster as a personal defense weapon.
Just a word of caution. Starting off with full-power .357MAG loads is a terrific way to develop a flinch. All that noise, flash, and recoil can spook anyone. Early on, it's a good idea to start off with some mild .38SPL loads, like 148grain LHBWC ("lead hollow-base wadcutter) target loads. These are cheap, accurate, and very mild to shoot.

Gary in Pennsylvania
June 16, 2006, 11:15 PM
Not intending to hijack the thread.......But I'm partial to my 3 incher GP100 too!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/taniainpennsylvania/GP100_3inch.jpg

espanola
June 17, 2006, 09:56 PM
Glad to hear you like it Packrat! As the owner of a 4" GP100, I think you made the right choice (surprise!)
I agree with the pistolero about the recoil--mine gets plenty, I've had sessions where my wrist was sore at the end of the day. But I load my own:evil: !
I would also recommend if since you don't have a lot of experience to use mostly the .38s until you are absolutely comfortable with recoil, etc. and are very accurate consistently with it.

_N4Z_
June 17, 2006, 10:16 PM
I own a 6" SS GP100 and it is thee best shooting handgun I have ever owned. I love the thing. Sounds like you got a good one too. :D

If your looking for inexpensive low kicking magnums for the range, try the CCI Blazer 158's in the aluminum cases. I can ring man size diameter gongs at 50 yards with those things all day long. My wife even agrees that it's the best one I've ever had. She likes it with the .38's.

Have bought, sold and tried many handguns over the years. I'll never give up my GP.

Good shooting.

MachIVshooter
June 18, 2006, 02:21 PM
Choosing between a GP100 and a 686, you couldn't have gone wrong. Both are premium midsize wheelguns. I have and love both S&W's and Rugers. The Smiths tend to have smoother actions, but the rugers are a bit more rugged. They are also more wallet-friendly.

On the backside, no collection is complete without a 4" .357, so perhaps a 686 can reside in your safe later on.

Tom C.
June 18, 2006, 07:29 PM
I have a number of S&W and Ruger revolvers. I have a Model 27-2. It was the first handgun I bought 30 yrs. ago. I just bought a 4" GP100 last month. While my well broken in Model 27 is accurate, I was very pleasantly surprised the GP100 was so accurate right off the bat. The barrel is a little rough, so I am breaking it in with jacketed bullets, but it is coming along nicely. I have large hands and I like the factory grips. I recently bought a S&W 617. It came with Houge finger groove grips. It is too small for me. I am looking at a couple of Pachmayr grips to see what I like.
Packrat, don't feel you need to begin with the most powerful loads you can find. You will probably make more progress with milder loads to start with.

happy old sailor
June 18, 2006, 10:52 PM
good grief packrat. if you dont have some earmuffs by now, get some. IMO, full house .357s have the sharpest bark of them all.

walmart has some 29 DNR muffs for between 10 and 15 $. according to doctors, every shot you hear causes hearing damage that is not repairable and is therefore permanent.

consider some shooting glasses. these are to protect your eyes, not to just look good at the range. if your gun doesnt spit powder, brass, or lead, the guys next to you may.

i learned about muffs and glasses the hard way. dont be as stupid as i was.

wardog
July 10, 2006, 01:56 AM
I just scored a used 6" stainless GP100 for $299 on Saturday. It is in near perfect condition. Can't wait to get it out to the range. :D

DWARREN123
July 10, 2006, 02:20 PM
I also have a KGP-161 and a KGP-141 and 2 SP-101's. Got to love them RUGER's!:D

Matt King
July 10, 2006, 02:21 PM
Great Choice. I have had my Gp-100 for four years now, and have never had a problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "My GP100" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!