Rove Won't Be Charged in CIA Leak Case

PDA

Desertdog
June 13, 2006, 08:43 AM
Rove Won't Be Charged in CIA Leak Case
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/6/13/72519.shtml?s=icp

Top White House aide Karl Rove has been told by prosecutors he won't be charged with any crimes in the investigation into leak of a CIA officer's identity, his lawyer said Tuesday.

Attorney Robert Luskin said that special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald informed him of the decision on Monday, ending months of speculation about the fate of one of President Bush's closest advisers. Rove testified five times before a grand jury.

Fitzgerald has already secured a criminal indictment against Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

"On June 12, 2006, Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald formally advised us that he does not anticipate seeking charges against Karl Rove," Luskin said in a statement.

"In deference to the pending case, we will not make any further public statements about the subject matter of the investigation," Luskin said. "We believe the special counsel's decision should put an end to the baseless speculation about Mr. Rove's conduct."

Fitzgerald has been investigating whether senior administration officials intentionally leaked the identity of CIA undercover operative Valerie Plame in retribution because her husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, sharply criticized the administration's pursuit of war in Iraq.

Rove, who most recently appeared before a grand jury in April, has admitted he spoke with columnist Robert Novak and Time magazine reporter Matt Cooper in the days before they published Plame's name in July 2003.

Rove, however, did not originally tell prosecutors about his conversation with Cooper, only revealing it after his lawyer discovered a White House e-mail that referred to it.

Fitzgerald was investigating whether Rove lied or obstructed justice in failing to initially disclose the conversation. The presidential aide blamed a faulty memory and sought to testify before the grand jury after finding the e-mail to correct his testimony.

The threat of indictment had hung over Rove, the man President Bush dubbed "the architect" of his re-election, even as Rove was focusing on the arduous task of halting Bush's popularity spiral and keeping Democrats from capturing the House or Senate in November elections.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rove Won't Be Charged in CIA Leak Case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mannlicher
June 13, 2006, 08:49 AM
The only 'charges' that have or will come out of this whole Democratic witch hunt are against Scooter L. for not being truthful. Note that he was not guilty of anything else, he just fudged the truth under oath. No reason to lie Scooter, when you have not done anything wrong. :)

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 09:25 AM
Like Bill Clinton just fudged the truth right. Dem. witch hunt my foot this is another rep. cover-up .

gopguy
June 13, 2006, 09:50 AM
Of course he won't be charged. Everyone knows Joe Wilson pinhead that he is mentioned on his own web page that his wife Valerie worked at CIA....This long before his sham trip to Niger too look into yellow cake..If anyone should be charged it is him for providing false information to the CIA!

buzz_knox
June 13, 2006, 10:19 AM
Like Bill Clinton just fudged the truth right. Dem. witch hunt my foot this is another rep. cover-up .

How is it possible to have a cover up when there was no crime? Valerie Plaime was not a covert operative covered by the applicable laws. Rove could have stood on the White House lawn and declared her identity to the world with complete impunity.

The only issue is that Libby decided to play fast and loose with the grand jury and ticked off the special prosecutor. If he'd simply stated "she wasn't a covert agent and by the way, her husband had outed her long ago," he'd still have his job and face no charges.

Erebus
June 13, 2006, 10:22 AM
This will put a bee in more than a few leftist bonnets.

ravinraven
June 13, 2006, 10:23 AM
So we are back to square one. Just when the libs thought that all it takes is wishful thinking to get an indictment AND a conviction, along comes some right-wing fact, truth and logic freak and wrecks the whole show.
Nuts!

rr

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 10:24 AM
Fox news "the fair and balanced" right wing shill.I guess you can fool some of the people some of the time.

buzz_knox
June 13, 2006, 10:28 AM
Doug b, I did a word search and it seems that the first mention of Fox News was by you. Could you explain what you mean by your post?

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 10:36 AM
I'm forced to watch fox news at work, and have found it to be the source of most right wing dis-information.

gopguy
June 13, 2006, 10:39 AM
Fox news "the fair and balanced" right wing shill.I guess you can fool some of the people some of the time.

Uh compared to the left wing shills that trash gun owners and the NRA at every turn I will choose Fox everytime. Come on now get real. Fox is much more fair and balanced than the rest and it is easy to demonstrate.

I answered a lib in the editorial pages of the local paper recently who was trashing Fox. This is part of what I wrote.

Fox is not just staffed by conservatives, it has plenty of liberals
working there and they strike out at the President
often. Off the top of my head there is Alan Colmes (co
host of Hannity and Colmes),Jeff Birnbaum of the Washington Post,
Nina Easton of the BostonGlobe, Mara Liasson of NPR,
Mort Kondrake (The Hill), Greta Van Sustern a lib lawyer has her own show,
Bob Beckel , Ellis Henican who sits in for Alan on
Hannity &Colmes, Juan Williams ,Susan Estrich, Lanny
Davis (former Clinton lawyer), and Dick Morris (former
Clinton aide). These names should be familiar to the
liberals reading this as they are prominent in the
liberal community. You see, Fox does have
balance--conservative and liberal commentators in
equal numbers. The networks like ABC view fairness
like this: Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts, two
liberals, vs. George Will, a centrist conservative. If
a conservative was on a show he was outnumbered. The
networks in their attempt to be fair have given shows
to people like Chris Matthews, who wrote speeches for
President Jimmy Carter and later worked for Democratic
Speaker of the House Tip O’Neil; George Stephanopolos,
one of Bill Clinton's high profile top aides, replaced
David Brinkley; Tim Russert once worked for Sen.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan. ABC hired Jake Tapper back
in 2003. He is a former Handgun Control Inc employee,
and they frequently assign him to do stories on the
NRA and gun owners….that’s fair? The man’s mind is
made up before he arrives to do the story. The
networks and CNN make no attempt to hide their leftist
bias what so ever. CNN’s Eason Jordan even admitted
they shaded and withheld their coverage prior to the
war to stay in Iraq. In other words they lied to us to
keep their Baghdad bureau. What other dictator are
they shielding so they can keep a news room now? Let
us not forget they also gave us the famous big black X
over Vice President Cheney’s face recently. With that
kind of track record at CNN and with the networks I
will stick with Fox for television news coverage.
Others must agree as Fox is outpacing all the others
in the Nielsen ratings, while being available in far
fewer homes.

Now with the facts in hand doug you can continue to rail at Fox....but you are discredited as a leftist shill detached from reality....:neener:

buzz_knox
June 13, 2006, 10:40 AM
Given that this thread has nothing to do with Fox News, and Plaime's status as a CIA employee who was not covered by the applicable statute is not at issue (having been so stated by the special prosecutor), your post comes out of nowhere. If you have some evidence that Plaime (who had by her own admission not worked outside the country for more than the 5 year period covered by the statute and whose employement with the CIA was openly discussed by her and her husband prior to the "leak") was in fact covered, then please offer it up.

gopguy
June 13, 2006, 10:40 AM
I'm forced to watch fox news at work, and have found it to be the source of most right wing dis-information.

Examples please. :scrutiny:

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 10:55 AM
Anybody that would call Alan Colmes a lib. is truly indoctrinated.

buzz_knox
June 13, 2006, 11:01 AM
Anybody that would call Alan Colmes a lib. is truly indoctrinated.

You've been asked for evidence to justify your thread hijack. You respond with soundbytes. Frankly, you shouldn't be tossing around allegations of someone being indoctrinated.

gopguy
June 13, 2006, 11:02 AM
Anybody that would call Alan Colmes a lib. is truly indoctrinated.:rolleyes:

And with those words your credibilty is blown out of the water...:neener: ..

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 11:04 AM
were do we start: swift boat vets,wmd in Iraq,voting irregularities in Fla. and Oh.,Max Clelland, Saddam and 9/11,just to name a few and oh yes reps. will eat there own, John McCain.

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 11:09 AM
my credibility is quite intact. Alan colmes is a stooge for Sean Insanity.Nobody that stands by there own convictions is that wishy washy.

buzz_knox
June 13, 2006, 11:10 AM
The subject at hand is Karl Rove and Valerie Plaime. If you want to discuss other subjects, feel free to start a new thread. Or perhaps you'd like to do a search and find the 1000 and 1 threads on each of those subjects.

If you're goal on this board is to show a new face for liberal gunowners beyond the stereotypical one of biased, hypocritical individuals with little more than the ability to regurgitate what their fellow travelers have told them, you're doing a bad job.

gopguy
June 13, 2006, 11:14 AM
were do we start: swift boat vets,wmd in Iraq,voting irregularities in Fla. and Oh.,Max Clelland, Saddam and 9/11,just to name a few and oh yes reps. will eat there own, John McCain.

A laundry list with no explaination........Elaborate please.

Let me do this one for you. voting irregularities in Fla. They just had Bobby Kennedy Jr. on Fox the other day talking about this. Tin foil hat conspiracy time.... He was allowed to rail at length....sounding much like the south side of a north bound jassack. I saw no conservative bias there.....and Alan was defending Bobby.

my credibility is quite intact.

Hardly.

So tell us about the rest. Or at least tell us how Fox was biased in the Plame case, to get us back on subject.

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
Buzz Knox hope tis link works for you

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11179719/site/newsweek/

buzz_knox
June 13, 2006, 11:29 AM
I retracted the comment about the book as it isn't out yet and my understanding of her statement on the issues could be faulty. I believed that in publicity discussions about the book, she'd made that comment but cannot verify this.

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 11:32 AM
I think I'm done with this tag team.You questioned my credibility,then you ask for examples I give you examples.You weren't satisfied with them so now you attack in different direction,how Rovian.

gopguy
June 13, 2006, 11:42 AM
Even if she was still covert, and she probably was not, then the person who should be frog walked for exposing her is her husband. Joe Wilson and then Vapid al herself.

http://formerspook.blogspot.com/2005/07/protection-not-persecution.html

In fact, a picture of Ms. Plame has appeared on Wilson's website for sometime, identifying her as the former ambassador's wife.

That website run by Ambassador Wilson identified Valerie,his wife as an employee of Brewster-Jennings a known CIA front company. Everyone in DC and our opposition knows this.

Valerie Plame also made public her connection to Brewster Jennings in making a $1000l contribution to Al Gore in his presidential race, listing that as her employer. It was exposed on Opensecrets.org who lets everyone know who gave financial contributions to what candidates. Perfectly legal.

She and Joe exposed her.....If you want to be an undercover spook, don't have such a high profile that all notice you.:rolleyes:

So end of case.:neener:

buzz_knox
June 13, 2006, 11:42 AM
Don't play the martyr. You went off on tangents and then claimed not to have seen a post. Nothing has happened since you provided that.

If you want to have a discussion on it, go for it. Just have a discussion. Don't start as you did with a hijack to go off on a tangent on your personal distate for one media source.

Desertdog
June 13, 2006, 11:44 AM
I'm forced to watch fox news at work,
Turn your face the other way, quit, or I am sure other solutions can be found.

gopguy
June 13, 2006, 11:47 AM
I think I'm done with this tag team.You questioned my credibility,then you ask for examples I give you examples.You weren't satisfied with them so now you attack in different direction,how Rovian.

No you gave a laundry list without explaination. That is not examples.

Tell us what about those stories show bias by Fox.

I gave a detailed list of liberal employees that work for Fox. I gave examples of bias by other networks. I am hoping you will show us something viable to make your point.....you have yet to do it.

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 11:53 AM
I turn it down when I've had a belly full of the repetitious propaganda.Like I said you CAN fool some of the people ALL of the time

Camp David
June 13, 2006, 11:59 AM
I turn it down when I've had a belly full of the repetitious propaganda.Like I said you CAN fool some of the people ALL of the time

Perhaps you mistakenly believe Fox is propaganda simply because you have been suckled at the tit of liberal media so long that you can't spot the difference between the news and biased reporting. Liberals are fond of calling Fox propaganda yet they seemingly ignore MSNBC and ABC recklessly exhibiting left-wing bias on a decade basis... For the record, every news network is biased to some degree; most left, a few right, and damn fewer down the center. Objectivity in media is becomeing scarce. However, I won't stand and let you hurl false allegations aginst Fox news without concrete evidence.... There is a reason Fox News is #1 in cable right now... decades of liberal bias in the major media have offered Fox free reign to offer alternatives to such liberal bias....such as fair & balanced reporting: A strange thing for the other media to compete against!!!

22-rimfire
June 13, 2006, 12:00 PM
I believe Fox News is the most unbiased of all of the news organizations. The regulars that are conservative do not hide that fact in the least. Alan Colmes could never be labeled as a conservative. He works with Sean Hannity and they present opposing views of events; to me that is fair and balanced.

Carl Rove... no charges as it should be. Just think of all the expense and hassle that this witch hunt caused.

Scooter Libby... I hope the same happens as the whole thing is a crock. You can't have one politican lying and getting away with it and another being prosecuted. Not condoning lying under oath, you just have to be rational about things.

gopguy
June 13, 2006, 12:10 PM
you CAN fool some of the people ALL of the time

You have not fooled anyone here.......or impressed us. You made a baseless charge and won't back it up when asked to....I noticed you were were doing the same thing on the Ann Coulter thread. What you don't know about the Clinton's and their anti gun agenda is frightening.

repetitious propaganda. Like what?!

You are hard to take serious. If you want to be taken serious then back up what you say. Thus far all you have done is bluster and whine. You are not going to win anyone over doing that....

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 12:13 PM
Rimfire you talk about rationality, expense, and hassle, of Plamegate.How about the $73 million, 10 yr. "investigation" to find out Bill lied about having sex in the oval office that was really rational huh? Especially when he was "wagging the dog"about Bin laden.

DigitalWarrior
June 13, 2006, 12:14 PM
HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH'
AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHA

aaa

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

ummmm yeah. Like that wouldn't get one of us plebes tossed in the clink.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Doug b
June 13, 2006, 12:14 PM
gopguy fox has you fooled not me

buzz_knox
June 13, 2006, 12:21 PM
Rimfire you talk about rationality, expense, and hassle, of Plamegate.How about the $73 million, 10 yr. "investigation" to find out Bill lied about having sex in the oval office that was really rational huh? Especially when he was "wagging the dog"about Bin laden.

Do you even know what you're talking about? The long term investigation was into Whitewater, and there have been multiple convictions out of that. The investigation into Clinton's perjury was a spin off, lasted for far less time, and resulted in a censure and loss of his license when it was determined that he had in fact perjured himself.

As for wagging the dog, you're not exactly making sense. If you're talking about Clinton passing up the opportunity to arrest Bin Laden (which he has admitted to doing), then that doesn't exactly support your case. Or perhaps you're discussing Clinton's launching of military strikes the day Lewinksy's testimony was revealed, or initiating an air war with Iraq to delay impeachment proceedings. If you are referencing that, then reminding us of how Clinton put US soldiers in harms' way and killed people to distract the public from his perjury and dishonoring of the office again is counterproductive.

gopguy
June 13, 2006, 12:28 PM
How about the $73 million, 10 yr. "investigation" to find out Bill lied about having sex in the oval office that was really rational huh?

As usual you have it wrong again......big surprise.:rolleyes: Actually it was about the President of the United States committing perjury in a Sexual harassment lawsuit brought by Paula Jones. You might remember all the sexual harrasment laws given us by liberals.:neener: ...Anyway the accusation was that a man in a superior position , Gov of Arkansas threatened a woman's job, who was a state employee if she did not give him what he wanted. In the trial they tried to establish that Clinton had a proclivity to do this. In the process he was asked about Lewinsky and lied........

So yeah, justice was served just as the law envisioned. He committed a felony and he can not practice law....Pity he was not removed from office. He was a unqualified failure as President.

gopguy fox has you fooled not me

Your witty comebacks just dazzle me..... Still waiting for those examples of bias though. Not expecting any......though. :neener:

gopguy
June 13, 2006, 12:29 PM
Do you even know what you're talking about? Buzz, thus far he has been clueless........on everything.

Correia
June 13, 2006, 12:38 PM
As much as I enjoy watching a good, one-sided, butt-kicking, this thread has meandered off course.

Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rove Won't Be Charged in CIA Leak Case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!