Being a gun owner ...

PDA

Autolite
April 29, 2003, 07:33 PM
I need to develop methods of dealing with everyday situations that are potentially confrontational. I am not talking about dealing with a mugger or armed robber, just the everyday type of 'jerk' who makes it their own private mission to make you work-day as unpleasent and miserable as humanly possible. I put forth a great amount of effort to act non-confrontational and keeping my face shut as I live in a country where any threat, implied threat, or aggressive act of any type could cost you the loss of your firearms and your firearms possession licence. I was wondering how y'all might deal with similar circumstances. (Quitting my job is not an option). Any advice ???

If you enjoyed reading about "Being a gun owner ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ed N.
April 29, 2003, 07:40 PM
I'd move.

Those who don't have the option to quit their jobs aren't employees. They're slaves.

blades67
April 29, 2003, 07:48 PM
Document the other person's actions and have them terminated or relocated. If you can't do that, you're letting your ego get in the way or you're looking for a fight.

RAY WOODROW 3RD
April 29, 2003, 07:49 PM
Start talking to yourself and answering yourself as you walk around the shop. That should scare enough of the butt heads away from you.:D

Standing Wolf
April 29, 2003, 08:37 PM
Smile a lot. Greet people with effusive warmth. Overwhelm them with kindness and good cheer.

Ludicrous? Absolutely—but inside a week, they'll write you off as a complete nut case and leave you alone.

Mark Tyson
April 29, 2003, 08:58 PM
Regular exercise and a sense of humor.

standingbear
April 30, 2003, 05:45 PM
get one of those rubber dolls that you squeeze and the eyes,tongue and ears pop out for emergencies.find a stress relieving activity such as swimming or exercising.build yourself up physically and mentally.if all else fails,move.it isnt worth losing your health and mind over.there will be people like you describe everywhere you go.often the reason these people act the way they do is low self esteem and immaturity.sometimes you can momentarily distract them by asking a question.excuse me,may i borrow your pen?or something like that and just walk off.

Hkmp5sd
April 30, 2003, 06:07 PM
Back when I rode a submarine in the Navy, I learned a very valuable lesson about dealing with other people, especially when you don't have the option of completely avoiding them. If people know something bothers you, they will never stop doing it. They are doing something just to get a reaction from you.

If you go around with the attitude (even if faked) that you could care less about their actions, they will get bored and go bother someone else.

Autolite
April 30, 2003, 06:53 PM
It all sounds like good advice. I'll be workin' on it ...

cordex
April 30, 2003, 07:11 PM
HK gives good advice.

Then again, he always had the option of flushing them out the torpedo tubes.
(Don't pretend you never did it HK ... it happens in nearly every sub movie, so it must be common in real life.)

Darrin
April 30, 2003, 07:37 PM
Here's what I've done in the past:

Smile the whole time. When s/he pauses, lightly smack him/her on the arm and say, "TAG! Your it!" Then start skipping away.

Or do as Hkmp5sd mentioned. That's worked for me also.

If I knew I'd lose my firearms, I'd make it a point to be extra nice. You just have to remember that some people are, well, bumhugs. Knowing that, you have to make it a point to keep yourself 'above' that level.

cool45auto
April 30, 2003, 08:54 PM
Kill it with kindness. Of course that's a lot easier to say than do.;)

Soap
April 30, 2003, 09:48 PM
Let them know that you have never initiated aggression towards another person, therefore you are guilty of no crime whatsoever. And their persistence in bothing you about it implies that you have some sort of deficiency, like you are a second class citizen. I would say pull at the heart strings and let the person know that what they say to you is on the level of them going up to another co-worker who is Mexican or hispanic and complaining to them about illegals. Or going to a black co-worker and complaining about how rap causes violence. Let them know you don't appreciate their unfair discrimations.

Bowlcut
April 30, 2003, 10:07 PM
Darrin and I work in a large non profit agency and we have to deal with all sorts of crap. We have to make it a point to not piss anyone off on a daily basis. We have to grin and bear it. Ive walked away from confrontations more than once. After its all done I complain all to high heaven. And if possible go blow through a few rounds.

But dont let it get personal. Just scrub it all off and grin the whole time. Walk away is always best thing if you feel yourself wanting to get angry. If they say something just keep walking....or tell them you are leaving the conversation before you make anyone mad....after that i tell them to talk to my boss :)

Justin
May 1, 2003, 03:20 AM
If you can get the guy sacked, go for it. If he's making your life miserable, it's likely he's making others unhappy as well. It's unlikely anyone will shed a tear.

Betty
May 1, 2003, 10:45 AM
I ignore problem people. They're not the worth the time and day to get upset over when they don't matter.

Mind over matter. I don't mind if you don't matter.

I have a co-worker who does the passive aggressive thing towards me. She talks about me within earshot, but carefully wording it like she's talking about an anonymous person. It's completely juvenile; something I hadn't experienced since junior high. And here's this grown woman doing it.

I wouldn't recommend Darrin's suggestion of "tag, you're it" - laying a hand (no matter how lightly) on someone who obviously doesn't like you can create worse problems.

If this person is being a constant problem, making your work day unbearable, keep a log of everything he/she does to you. Witnesses? Other co-workers' complaints? (It's said it's not the boss who fires you, but your co-workers.) Then discuss it with the employer.

And of course, don't let that person ever know you carry.

scottgun
May 1, 2003, 01:26 PM
If it's any reassurance, you're not alone. Annoying coworkers can make your life miserable. I know, I speak from experience. But it doesn't have to, it's not worth it. Take the high road, being right isn't alway good if you are creating an enemy. You have to deal with these people day after day, and playing their game only brings you down to their level. Being nice and reasonable goes along way. Their true colors will show through if they are really that bad, but don't get sucked into a negative frame of mind.

And to keep it gun related, during those really annoying times, just think how much fun you'll be having that weekend at the range, gun show, fishing hole or whatever. Smile but don't say why.

Runt, I would say to your coworker "I can hear you, I'm just right over here" People who can't say things face to face or bring issues to the foreground are usually stopped in their tracks when you bring it out in the open.

ball3006
May 1, 2003, 01:36 PM
in your situation because I am 59 years old, 250 lbs, and the current state powerlifting champion in my class. I also tack up in my office my best shooting targets and SGN is on the corner of my desk. My boss is my shooting bud. My other office work partner is a class 3 dealer. We work for a company that posts "gun owners keep out" signs everywhere but because we are low key we never hear anything about it. I have known guys with situations such as yours and they have a tough time. Hope something works out for you as there are some really truly as* ho**s out there in the work place. You wonder if they were raised that way or they are self made....chris3

If you enjoyed reading about "Being a gun owner ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!