When is a pink candy-filled Bugs Bunny water pistol considered a weapon?

PDA

JackShandy
June 14, 2006, 11:32 AM
When it's discovered at an airport security check, of course! (http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=15414&in_page_id=2)

Here's the kicker; it was purchased at one of the airport shops, meters away from the check-in desk. So, after you read the story you'll find, that by their own logic, this airport is selling weapons on the premises.

Possibly my favorite quote: "A Cape Town airport spokeswoman insisted: 'It's is better to be safe than sorry.'"

Oooooo-kay, desperately wanted; individuals who can make a common-sense decision (oh, and a story proof-reader).

If you enjoyed reading about "When is a pink candy-filled Bugs Bunny water pistol considered a weapon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Henry Bowman
June 14, 2006, 11:39 AM
Other interesting comments:
Err but if they sell them at the airport in the departure lounge it's clearly the airport or specific franchise store that is at fault!

- Petec, London UK

At the end of the day airport security over-reacted, but we have all read about this type of thing happening in the press before, so why on earth didn't the woman use a bit of commonsense and perhaps buy some sweets that don't come in a gun shaped object, I reckon the woman has done this on purpose to get in the paper.
- Rich, London:scrutiny:

Tory
June 14, 2006, 11:39 AM
Please note that this act of idiocy ocurred in Cape Town, South Africa - NOT in the US.

Which is not to say that it couldn't.

Werewolf
June 14, 2006, 11:45 AM
This incident reminds me of the movie Ruthless People. You know the part where the cop on the roof says - regarding a criminal on the street - Some people are just tooooo stupid to live. That definitely applies to the security folks here.

Zero tolerance policy I guess - the abrogation of the responsibilty to think by those our masters put in charge of herding us around.

dev_null
June 14, 2006, 12:29 PM
Where's Magritte when you need him.

"Ceci n'est pas un Glock."

Manedwolf
June 14, 2006, 12:38 PM

Now I'm picturing someone holding up a store by holding up a picture of a gun. :D

Might actually work in parts of CA...

Tory
June 14, 2006, 12:59 PM

Magritte? Sounds more like Inspector Clouseau.:D

torpid
June 14, 2006, 01:09 PM

Nicely played. :)

romma
June 14, 2006, 01:46 PM
call for a ban on all 90 degree angles... After all, they are shaped like guns; don't you know?

Punkermonkey
June 14, 2006, 05:20 PM
Reading this I am reminded of a sporting convention in Las Vegas a few years ago. Apparently a firearms manufacturer distributed promotional key chains in the shape of the company’s logo, a "G". The TSA agents at the airport confiscated hundreds of these from passengers prior to boarding the plain stating that they resembled a firearm.

offthepaper
June 15, 2006, 08:26 PM
So let me get this straight.
The airport has a weapons distribution center, where passengers may purchase weapons prior to boarding their flights. These weapons may be purchased by anyone without showing reason or identificaion (often referred to as a straw purchase). Upon making the purchase at the arms bazaar of said weapon, the suspected terrorists, (apparently working in pairs) attempted to smuggle the weapon onto the aircraft, but were foiled only by the diligent work of highly trained and specialized security screeners using X-ray technology to check carry on luggage. Upon closer examination of the suspicious baggage, security determined they indeed had uncovered an actual threat to the Airline, passengers, and crew. The found weapon was of unusual design, a two phase, hand held handgun type capable of firing 220 calorie projectiles and also able to stream a very dangerous liquid weapon (H2O) for an undetermined distance. Islamic extremists are known to fear this substance. Another tip off of the pair was dicovered while attempting to positively identify the pair. The younger of pair identified herself as Kelly Vinnicombe, who attempted to pass herself off as a six year old daughter of her handler, identified as Sarah Vinnicombe. Upon checking these names against the known list of terrorists, the pair was detained, as the name Sarah is well known as a domestic terrorist usually working from the Western hemisphere, mainly in the United States. She has been known to be involved in circumventing the politics of otherwise stable nations. Fear, bribery, and misinformation tactics have often been employed by these groups. The seized weapon was emblazoned with the symbol of their beliefs of the radical group known only to intelligence authorities as the Warner Brothers under the direct command of E. Fudd. This group is also beleived to have loose ties to Hanna-Barbara whose followers worship the determination of such militants as Wiley Coyote who is known to be involved in the making of bombs and assorted booby traps over the years and is also suspected of being trained and equipped by Acme.
Developing..:D :what: :neener:

kikr
June 16, 2006, 01:12 AM
ManedWolf "Now I'm picturing someone holding up a store by holding up a picture of a gun.

Might actually work in parts of CA..."

Only if there wearing a bandaid on their left cheek, a clown nose, or a yellow rain coat! :D

Zedicus
June 16, 2006, 01:46 AM
Reminds me of the time when I still Lived in the UK that I saw an Armed Response unit (UK Swat Team) Surround and point MP5's (Which were set on Auto) at a Kid (looked about 10-12) and haul him & his parents off.

The crime?

The kid was Playing with a super soaker in his front yard & some Panicky Busybody Called the Cops.:barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "When is a pink candy-filled Bugs Bunny water pistol considered a weapon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!