TEXANS - TSRA Needs Your Help!

PDA

Bartholomew Roberts
June 14, 2006, 03:02 PM
I realize many Texas gun owners are not members of TSRA and don't realize what a great job they do, the good value they represent, or that they don't plague you with junk mail and donation requests like the NRA. This post is to inform you guys of what is going on and the plans for the upcoming meeting of the Texas legislature in 2007.

First off, Doc Brown has retired. This man represented TSRA in Austin as a full-time lobbyist for 25 years (and he worked a day job AND did the lobbyist portion before that). At times he worked as both the TSRA and NRA lobbyist. Alice Tripp has taken his place and does an outstanding job; but knowledge and contacts like that will be hard to replace.

Second, we lost several important pro-RKBA legislators. They were important because not only did they help push RKBA, they had seniority and important committees that gave their opinion a lot of weight. Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp whose parents were killed in the Killeen Luby's incident while her pistol sat locked in the glovebox of her car as required by law was a powerful force in promoting CCW all across the nation. She has now retired. Ray Allen, another senior legislator has retired. Terry Keel who sponsored the new Texas travelling law for us retired to run for a slot on the Court of Criminal Appeals and was defeated.

These are going to be tough legislators to replace and TSRA has important work to do in 2007. One of the issues facing TSRA is that several county district attorney's still refuse to acknowledge the new travelling law. Chuck Rosenthal of Harris county is one. Richard Miller of Bell County is claiming that ALL firearms (not just handguns) are illegal if you don't meet the travelling exemption. Just something to think about in the upcoming elections for that office...

Another issue facing TSRA is enacting a law preventing confiscation similar to New Orleans. Thanks to Doc Brown's earlier work, a law limiting what can be done in emergency situations is already on the books in Texas having passed in 1985. However, it could stand to be updated and better protections for lawful gun owners added. TSRA is going to have a tough time doing this in 2007 with most of its varsity line-up missing.

Finally, for Dallas residents, let's not forget that Mayor Laura Miller has been cozying up to folks like Michael Bloomberg and Ray Nagin. She used our tax money to fly up to New York for a conference on gun violence. She is up for reelection soon. Is there any doubt about whether she will issue a Nagin-like confiscation order if she gets the chance?

TSRA really needs your help. If you are not a member, please consider joining (http://www.tsra.com/?p=page&id=1). If you are already a member, please consider sending what you can spare the next time you get your twice-a-year request for money from TSRA. Most of all, find out how YOUR politicians think on these issues and replace as necessary.

If you enjoyed reading about "TEXANS - TSRA Needs Your Help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dev_null
June 14, 2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up, just signed on for a 3-year membership. Gotta warn you, though, I've been spoiled by Phil and the folks at VCDL. :D

boofus
June 14, 2006, 03:25 PM
I joined TSRA when I needed membership in a CMP affiliated club to order their Garands. Qualify for CMP purchases and help out the RKBA at the same time, sounds good to me!

Daniel T
June 14, 2006, 03:39 PM
I am, and have been a proud member of the TSRA. Thanks for posting this Bart.

Though, I do want to know which one of y'all has the red convertible Mustang with the TSRA license plate I saw a few weeks ago in North Austin... :D

Art Eatman
June 14, 2006, 05:57 PM
LIfe member since somewhere back in the 1980s. Guess I'll have to dig out the old checkbook. :)

Art

Stephen A. Camp
June 14, 2006, 06:13 PM
Hello. I am proud to be a life member of the Texas State Rifle Association. For several years I served on the Board of Directors and can tell you first-hand, that TSRA folks are dedicated to protection gun rights and Second Amendment Guarantees in Texas...and elsewhere.

Doc Brown served TSRA and freedom-loving Texans for years. His kind are all too few. He also maintained his diginity, honesty, and self-respect while doing battle with the opposition.

Likewise, Alice Tripp is a superb human being and literally a human dynamo. IF anyone can fill Doc's shoes, in my opinion it is her. This woman "walks the talk" and like the lyrics from an old Don Henley (sp) song, "I will not go quietly. I will not lay down," describes her to a "T". She works and I mean works at protecting our rights. I am honored to call her my friend.

Money is well-spent in joining TSRA in my opinion. If we all recruited but one member, its size...and influence would double. If we all fought like Alice Tripp and Doc Brown, there would be no anti-gun politicians and legislators in Texas.

Best.

doughboy
June 14, 2006, 06:49 PM
Just joined up(membership).

edggy
June 14, 2006, 09:38 PM
(Count me in) Iam now a new member.

HankB
June 14, 2006, 09:44 PM
I joined to qualify for an M1. I remain a member today, and plan to for the indefinite future. Good organization.

JohnKSa
June 14, 2006, 09:54 PM
TSRA is an amazingly productive organization--especially given the relatively small membership.

Last legislative session, they helped pass something like 8 pro-gun or pro-hunting bills into law. They also helped defeat several anti-gun/anti-hunting bills. That's gotta be some kind of record...

I was pretty dismayed when I found out how few members they have. You'd think based on their productivity and in a place like TX, they'd have people beating the door down to join. Unfortunately that is certainly not the case.

BTW, Ray Allen was one of the co-authors of the original CHL bill. Sad to see these folks retiring/moving on.

rbernie
June 15, 2006, 10:20 AM
Did anyone else get hit up for $7 shipping for buying a membership online? That seemed odd to me...

dev_null
June 15, 2006, 02:51 PM
Did anyone else get hit up for $7 shipping for buying a membership online? That seemed odd to me...
Yeah, but I decided it was for a good cause. Kinda sneaky, though.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 15, 2006, 08:16 PM
That does seem strange. You might contact TSRA and ask them about that. Somebody who isn't as good-natured might regard that as a bit of a put-off. Letting them know it is misleading will let them correct it or in the case you should not have been charged, refund the charges.

Another great thing about TSRA is their determination - they first introduced CCW legislation to the Texas legislature in 1985. The got shut down in just about every way possible and continued to keep bringing it up until it was finally passed into law in 1994 after Ann Richards (who had vetoed it) was shown the door.

dracphelan
June 15, 2006, 09:12 PM
I've been a member for over a year. My wife joined at the last convention.

MechAg94
June 15, 2006, 11:46 PM
I have been a member for several years. I always appreciated the email updates and information they send out during the legislative session. Also, they don't hit you up for a bunch of money every other day either. When they do, it is only for $10 or $20. The CMP stuff is gravy.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 16, 2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, it is nice being able to use it for your CMP affiliated club. I was shocked to see how much M1s have gone up since the last time I bought from CMP.

If you enjoyed reading about "TEXANS - TSRA Needs Your Help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!