model 637

PDA

security
June 14, 2006, 06:10 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to polish my 637 up like my model 60. I know the frame is aluminum and the barrel and cylinder are steel. So would it be possible to polish the frame with flitz or is this a bad idea?

If you enjoyed reading about "model 637" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
June 14, 2006, 09:12 PM
And truthfully, I don't know the correct answer.:eek: However, keep in mind
that the S&W 637 (and the 642) have a clear coat applied from the factory.
I would avoid abrasive compounds at all cost~!:( The cylinder and barrel
are made of stainless steel, so a light rub with a little Flitz on a clean rag
should not hurt them, as much as it would the frame.:uhoh:

Majic
June 15, 2006, 01:24 AM
You can polish them to a high sheen, but the aluminum will never match the steel.

NHBB
June 15, 2006, 02:29 AM
I used to own a 637, have carried a 642 for a long time now...

bottom line the clear coat finish is crap, its a solid gun, but will show wear with minimal use and regular carry. given the price, I dont know if its even worth it to get some custom finish on it... depends on the individual. I dont mind a few scuffs on my carry piece.

Steven1281
June 18, 2006, 11:22 AM
I polished the finish off the barrel and cylinder on my 637. It was coming off anyway from cleaning, and I figured the stainless would hold up without it. The frame is peeling in places, but I plan to just leave that be for the moment. Been a couple of years since I polished what I did, and have seen no negative results to date. Easier to clean now that I don't have to worry about finish.c:\steven\637.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "model 637" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!