How are brass cases made?

PDA

FAL_Freak
April 29, 2003, 11:20 PM
Title pretty much says it all. I'm curious about the process of making new rifle and pistol brass. Anyone have a good (or even a somewhat good) link to the info?

If you enjoyed reading about "How are brass cases made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
April 30, 2003, 10:29 AM
Real quick, it's a complex, 15- or 20-step process. Until somebody gives a link, try the various ammo companies' websites to see if any of them show the sequence. I know some of the reloading manuals show pictures of it.

Even with modern automated equipment, it's amazing that new brass sells as cheaply as it does.

Art

KP95DAO
April 30, 2003, 10:55 AM
There are three methods in order of most used to least:
Drawing, impact extrusion, and turning bar stock.

cordex
April 30, 2003, 02:13 PM
Saw a neat display at a Cabela's one time that covered this.

I had the same thought that Art just expressed. Basically, they manufacture a bunch of little brass cups with thick walls and slowly work them into longer brass tubes and then cut/form them to size and then extruded some more and then cut some more and then ...

Very amazing process.

mete
May 5, 2003, 10:28 PM
Typically it's done by back extrusion. A slug of brass (cartridge brass 70Cu, 30Zn) is put into a female die then a male die is pressed into the slug. The brass then flows up along the male die forming a cup shape. This is done a number of times with annealing steps in between. Also in the process the primer hole is punched or drilled , the rim is machined.

FAL_Freak
May 8, 2003, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the great replies guys! I whipped up a quick graphic in photoshop, close to what you guys are thinking?

http://www.evilblackrifles.com/images/case_manu.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "How are brass cases made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!