San Francisco Nukes

PDA

engineer151515
June 15, 2006, 11:44 AM
Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13295083/wid/11915829?GT1=8298

Labs compete to make new nuclear bomb
Livermore, Los Alamos designing modern ‘reliable replacement warhead'

Updated: 8:46 a.m. CT June 13, 2006
LOS ANGELES - The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the San Francisco Bay area and the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico are competing to design the nation's first new nuclear bomb in two decades....

I can't express enough irony that a San Francisco Bay Area outfit would be in the competition to build new nuclear bombs.

If you enjoyed reading about "San Francisco Nukes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SJG26
June 15, 2006, 12:40 PM
As a safety precaution, such facilities should be located as far from intelligent civilized life as is practical..................good to see they are maintaining the standards!:D

kjeff50cal
June 15, 2006, 12:47 PM
SJG26- As a safety precaution, such facilities should be located as far from intelligent civilized life as is practical..................good to see they are maintaining the standards!

How about City Hall......:evil:

Lou629
June 15, 2006, 01:35 PM
Having lived in Berks county Pa. for quite some time, i would nominate it as the primary alternate site for keeping such facilities "as far from intelligent civilized life as is practical" :neener:

leadcounsel
June 15, 2006, 01:57 PM
When is that place supposed to sink into the ocean??? I thought that was supposed to happen years ago! :cuss:

Matt-man
June 15, 2006, 02:38 PM
Lawrence Livermore has been doing nuclear weapons research since before the hippies took over San Francisco. It was created to compete with Los Alamos in the early 50s.

I do find it amusing that the lab is managed & operated by the University of California.

Manedwolf
June 15, 2006, 04:36 PM
Yes, Livermore has been around a long time as prestegious institute created specifically for that purpose. Very high security, too. They're about as related to San Francisco as Guantanamo Bay Naval Base is to Cuba. It just happens to be located there.

Wes Janson
June 16, 2006, 02:45 AM
Don't forget they just stocked up on some 7.62 miniguns ;)

Maser
June 16, 2006, 02:55 AM
San Francisco has nukes now huh? I can just see a new movie in process now. It can be called "brokeback nuclear winter". :D :neener: :barf: :what:

CajunBass
June 16, 2006, 09:30 PM
Doesn't San Francisco have a "no nukes" law or something silly like that on the books? I seem to remember they passed a law making it against the law to detonate a nuclear device in the city limits or something like that.

I guess as long as they don't detonate it, it's ok.

4v50 Gary
June 16, 2006, 10:53 PM
Lawrence Livermore Lab is in the San Francisco Bay Area and not in San Francisco itself. But, if they had an accident, would anybody miss the Bay Area? It's got good foccacia bread (among other great foods), pretty scenary, Star Fleet Head Quarters (in Marin County), Cable Cars & Street Cars, but the politics! Oh, it's a smug, self-hating, radical leftist wasteland which is very intolerent of any thought towards a centralist position.

Shadan7
June 16, 2006, 10:59 PM
And this is firearms related, how? :confused:

Biker
June 16, 2006, 11:05 PM
Well, nobody seems to debate the stopping power of a nuke. How's that?

Biker

Shadan7
June 16, 2006, 11:17 PM
Doesn't it depend on which cal. nuke you use? :evil:

Nah, I get it - a chance to bash SF, make some homophobic comments, etc. :rolleyes:

kjeff50cal
June 16, 2006, 11:42 PM
Nah Shadan7 it is a chance to bash a handgun banning municipality:D .

'Card
June 17, 2006, 12:34 AM
So what caliber would you use to stop a bra-wearing grizzly bear toting a thermonuclear device of San Franciscan origin?

utahminirevolver
June 17, 2006, 11:01 AM
Wouldn't a San Franciscan grizzly be a bra-burner?

zeke1312
June 17, 2006, 01:09 PM
In the early '60s, many large cities including San Francisco had Nike Hercules Air Defense Missile sites that provided protection from incoming Soviet bombers. The Nike Hercules missile was capable of carrying 2 types of nuclear weapons designed to "kill" multiple aircraft.

My point is, just think of what the touchy feely group in SF would think today if such a system was proposed for their area? Of course there is no threat of bombers or any attack by enemy aircraft envisoned today but you get the picture.

In fact there is a complete Nike site in the SF area supported by the national parks. Folks can visit and view the missiles, radar, etc. The system is not active now but provides an interesting look at the cold war effort.

One of the SF city counsel members want the military completely disbanded. Wow, those people are dangerous!

Oh, what's that got to do with guns? The guards carryed M1 30 cal carbines.

QuarterBoreGunner
June 18, 2006, 02:04 AM
Hurray for my town!

Wait..what was this about again?

Telperion
June 18, 2006, 02:15 AM
Ah, QBG, forgive him: he isn't local and doesn't know that SF has about as much influence on LLNL as, say, New York City has on West Point. :D

Hacker15E
June 18, 2006, 06:34 AM
Guys, they're talking about designing a nuclear weapon at LLNL, NOT building it there or storing it there.

BIG, BIG, difference.

engineer151515
June 18, 2006, 09:48 AM
Guys, they're talking about designing a nuclear weapon at LLNL, NOT building it there or storing it there.

BIG, BIG, difference

Yeah. Even MORE ironic.

Peace!

tellner
June 18, 2006, 10:56 AM
I don't care who makes the nukes as long as they move the Nevada test site to about half a mile above the Las Vegas Strip. Gawds I hate that place.

QuarterBoreGunner
June 18, 2006, 10:01 PM
This reminds me of the time back in high school (mid 80s) when they decided to make the school a 'symbolic' nuclear free zone (yeah yeah I know...) to decry the proliferation of nuclear weapons.

So of course...

(wait for it)

...I made a 'symbolic' nuclear weapon and brought it to school. Nothing so elaborate as Doc Brown's old bomb case filled with pinball machine parts (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/) but it was pretty good; a cardboard box painted black with some wires sticking out of it connected to a silver can with the international radiation symbol on it in red permanent marker.

Typical teenage know-it-all punk stuff, but the kind of thing that would get the school closed and me arrested now a days.

tellner
June 19, 2006, 01:17 AM
It's no sillier than "Defending Marriage" or "Defending a piece of cloth" by passing constitutional ammendments. Same sort of thing, really. The only real difference is that the Right's stroke material tends to be couched in terms of beating someone up literally or symbolically. The Left - such as it is in this country - is more likely to involve standing in a circle holding hands and playing Kumbaya reall badly.

hso
June 19, 2006, 11:15 AM
You've got to be pretty ignorant of U.S. nuclear weapons history to get excited over this. First, fed labs all over the country have been involved in weapons design, development and production over the decades. Second, Livermore isn't even associated with San Francisco. SF just happens to be the nearest major city. Third, it's questionable if the new "design" is even of any real value since there is nothing to prevent maintenance and refit of existing weapons and the current design has no significant shortcomings. Sounds like pointless pork for the nuc weapons boys to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "San Francisco Nukes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!