Barrel length

PDA

Airfix
January 4, 2003, 04:56 AM
For a 9mm carbine, I like to learn if there are significant differences in terms of "effective range--velocity--stability" among these choices:
* a plain 16" barrel
* 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" brake
* 10.5" barrel with a 5.5" brake

Given the optimal length for 9mm is 8" or less, would the above actually diminishes the overall effectiveness?

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel length" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
saki302
January 4, 2003, 06:45 AM
All I noticed shooting my uncles pre-'89 ban UZI, is the 16" barrel is REAL quiet- sounds close to my 10/22 or lever-gun with .38's at the indoor range!

-Dave

AK103K
January 4, 2003, 08:54 AM
I dont really see the point of the pistol caliber carbines when you can get a better round in a package the same size. In a SMG size package, they have their uses, and are more effective, but these are more "special purpose" in their uses. I have a MP5 that was converted from a HK94 with a 16" barrel. I didnt notice any loss of accuracy in the gun when the barrel was whacked to 9". I can still make headshots on sillouhette targets at 100 yards with it, with the right ammo, but its not something I'd probably choose to do. Ammo does make a big difference too. Realisticly, the 9mm to me anyways, is a 50 yard or less( and preferably less), gun. Its effectiveness comes in the full auto mode with fast multiple hits. In a gun thats as big as a rifle, this type anyway, I'd rather have a rifle caliber. Then again, if its just a plinker, have at it, nothing above matters. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel length" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!