Campus Police shoot Emu

PDA

Jeff White
June 15, 2006, 11:59 PM
SIU Carbondale is being over run with wild animals. Last week they killed a deer that attcked an officer...and they have had previous attacks by the deer on a hiking trail....Now they kill an emu that was running loose. .......
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisstatenews/story/F5A854E162DCC9FB8625718E005C15D5?OpenDocument
Errant emu shot, killed by police in southern Illinois
ASSOCIATED PRESS
06/15/2006

CARBONDALE, Ill. (AP) -- Police in this university town say they hadn't dealt with an emu on the loose before. So when the big bird was found running rampant, officers pulled out the big firepower.

Cornered in a residential area Wednesday, the flightless cousin of the ostrich took five blasts from an officer's shotgun before being finished off by three more rounds from a police rifle.

Police say they had no other recourse in dealing with a species known to be aggressive and elusive -- they're capable of moving up to 35 mph -- with anyone who gets too close.

"They are bigger and stronger than you think," police Sgt. Mike Osifcin said.

The deadly showdown followed three reports to police that the bird was spotted in different locations in Carbondale, the last sighting by someone who said the animal was pecking on a home's window, police said.

Emus, not native to southern Illinois, are raised for their meat, eggs and oil.

There was no immediate word on who owned the bird.

If you enjoyed reading about "Campus Police shoot Emu" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
June 16, 2006, 12:14 AM
Life emu-tates art?

:neener:

kjeff50cal
June 16, 2006, 12:59 AM
At least the police didn't bury their heads in the sand:p :evil: .

ArmedBear
June 16, 2006, 01:10 AM
This is almost as silly as the AP's political and military reporting!

Emus, not native to southern Illinois

The deadly showdown

Emu is good eatin. I hope someone knew that. There's a lot of meat on that thing.

4v50 Gary
June 16, 2006, 01:43 AM
What's the phone # for that agency? I want to work there. Where else can you go hunting on the job? :p

Al Norris
June 16, 2006, 01:44 AM
In those immortal words: Biiigg Chicken! :what:

Maser
June 16, 2006, 01:49 AM
We got an ostrich farm near my town. I rode one before and was pretty fun. I can understand how the emu took lots of shots because the feathers are real thick and hard.

Oleg Volk
June 16, 2006, 01:56 AM
http://olegvolk.net/olegv/north/emu.jpg

The grieving widow of that emu.

Wes Janson
June 16, 2006, 02:35 AM
Either that, or what the officer saw right before he decided the scattergun was an appropriate use of force, and opened fire ;)

Jim March
June 16, 2006, 04:47 AM
You know...am I the only one around here who would be reluctant to shoot something despite it's being big and weird?

It's not like they eat people. It's a giant chicken for pete's sake :).

Third_Rail
June 16, 2006, 04:56 AM
Hey Jim, get close to one, spook it, and see how harmless those big chickens are.

Twycross
June 16, 2006, 05:02 AM
True, Emus are generally docile, but you never know when one is going to get territorial, especially around rookie deputies. (http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/03/hes-nekkid.html) :D

Seriously, these things can kick pretty hard.

Vairochana
June 16, 2006, 05:55 AM
Emus aren't usually agressive, althought they can damage you. They are hard to catch- i know I used to work with them.
If it had been a cassowary however...

Maser
June 16, 2006, 06:01 AM
I have never seen an emu up close other than in a zoo, but seeing as they are a small version of an ostich I know they can be aggressive. Osrichs can be pretty mean. They can stomp you almost as bad as a horse can. I'm guessing the emu in question must have been very aggressive. Although I think a tranquilizer gun would have been a better choice.

Vairochana
June 16, 2006, 06:11 AM
Ostriches are very dangerous-they spend the entire day working out new way to try to kill you-emus are a lot lighter and stand a bit under 6".
They are also intelligent and curious-sounds like this was a tame/semi tame one.
If they do decide to have a go at you they won't stomp you they will gut you with their "Velociraptor" toe, but as I said emus aren't known for their aggression

LAK
June 16, 2006, 06:24 AM
five blasts from an officer's shotgun before being finished off by three more rounds from a police rifle
I know an emu is on the large side for a bird, but I'd like to know what kind of shotgun and rifle, and what ammo was used.

---------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Maser
June 16, 2006, 06:32 AM
The standard police shotgun load is a light #1 buckshot load and i'm guessing the police rifle was probly an AR15 type which is 5.56mm (.223).

Working Man
June 16, 2006, 06:51 AM
:D

Truly a great way to start my day off.

Thanks Jeff.

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
June 16, 2006, 06:55 AM
Emus are pretty good eaten, but man they stink, I would shot it just because the smell.

db_tanker
June 16, 2006, 06:57 AM
This is all well and good...everyone getting a REAL BIG LAUGH out of this....

But who is going to stand up for the rights of the EMU, HUH?

hee hee hee :) Al Norris beat me to it....

"Did you see the size of that chicken!!!"

Hey, Oleg...how long you been sitting on THAT photo? :D

D

Oleg Volk
June 16, 2006, 08:27 AM
I took it around 1999 with a borrowed Olympud D-360L 1.4MP digicam. While I tried to get that photo, another emu tried to ambush me from the side and eat the camera!

BIGJACK
June 16, 2006, 08:50 AM
Them things can run like hell.

I was hog hunting a few years ago in LA as in lower Alabama and the dogs were running a large boar up the bank of the Alabama river and I was up on the plateau, which was a cotton field, on my 4wheeler trying to get ahead of them. I was going about 25 or so MPH across the cotton field and a dam Emu came out of the river bottom:eek: and crossed the cotton field about 100 yards in front of me. That sucker was picking um up and putting um down. :eek: I first thought that the dogs were running him but they had only spooked him out of the swamp, as they continued with the hog.

Never did see him again, and hunted that area several times that year after that. Nearest house was a couple of miles.:uhoh:

HighVelocity
June 16, 2006, 09:12 AM
At least the reporter didn't call it a llama :D

hksw
June 16, 2006, 12:02 PM
I guess the police showed the emu who was at the lower rung of the pecking order.

Jeff White
June 16, 2006, 12:18 PM
Maser said;
The standard police shotgun load is a light #1 buckshot load and i'm guessing the police rifle was probly an AR15 type which is 5.56mm (.223).

How can you make such an authoratative, blanket statement? What police department do you work for?

Jeff

Zundfolge
June 16, 2006, 12:18 PM
"T'aint chickens. Emus"

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/03/hes-nekkid.html

geekWithA.45
June 16, 2006, 01:49 PM
Newsflash:

The parents of the allegedly rampant emu were not available for comment, but the emu's grandmother stated that "he was a good emu, who was just getting his life together, making good grades in school", and will be "consulting a lawyer" about excessive use of force on the part of the police.

Sidebar:

I wonder if they thought "bird shot" would be sufficient for a 6' tall bird....

Preacherman
June 16, 2006, 02:04 PM
Question: if you cross an emu with an ostrich, is the resultant offspring an emutant?

:D

spin180
June 16, 2006, 02:49 PM
I certainly hope the rest of the local wildlife doesn't emu-late the behavior of this estranged emu...

:scrutiny:

Creeping Incrementalism
June 16, 2006, 04:04 PM

Whatever shotgun load was used, I'll bet the the cop didn't want to get too close, resulting in a pretty sprad-out pattern my the time the shot hit the bird. And if he was using slugs... that's scary.

At least the reporter didn't call it a llama

The first thing I thought of when I heard this.

1911Tuner
June 16, 2006, 06:33 PM
Saw an episode of that crazy Aussie crocodile hunter and a friend tryin' to corral an Emu once. Bird ran straight in and kicked a thick piece of plywood one of'em was holdin' up for a shield. I knew right then and there that I didn't want NOOOO part of fightin' with an Emu...:uhoh:

carpettbaggerr
June 17, 2006, 12:43 AM
Emu is good eatin. I hope someone knew that. There's a lot of meat on that thing. Not after 5 blasts from a shotgun, and 3 more rifle rounds. :eek:

BluesBear
June 17, 2006, 05:22 AM
The standard police shotgun load is a light #1 buckshot load...They why is ALL of the Remington, Federal, Hornady and Winchester "Police" and/or "Tactical" buckshot ammunition loaded with 00 Buck?

But since you seem to be an authority on the subject, please tell us the name of any LE agency that issues #1 Buck.
(And the Mayberry Sheriff's Department doesn't count.)

hoji
June 17, 2006, 06:56 AM
Having had to shoot more than 1 emu, I can tell you that it is not that easy, unless you do a head shot. But their heads are almost always moving.
Generally a Benelli M1 90 loaded with #4 buck at the head at 20 yards will generally do it quick and humanely.

Byron Quick
June 17, 2006, 07:50 AM
Jim,

Excuse me, but your city boy status is showing. This wasn't Big Bird despite the slight resemblance.

Anything with the potential to kick as an emu can kick, will not get an opportunity to kick.

The tranquilizer dart gun sounds very good to the uninformed. Only two problems: 1)Difference in inter-species reaction to the tranquilizer drug, and 2) differences in dosage due to the animal's weight. In other words, the person using the dart gun needs to be familiar with that particular species' reaction to the drug and be expert in estimating its weight. Too little and you've got a big doped up bird wandering around. Too much and it's really no different from buckshot. How much tranquilizer for emu?

Newsflash-the effective use of a tranquilizer dart gun is not as simple as depicted on TV. Who woulda thunk it?

Jim March
June 17, 2006, 08:51 AM
Heh. Yeah, I suspect so.

I also suspect I'd still try and tackle it :).

CajunBass
June 17, 2006, 09:36 AM
I was coming home from working the graveyard shift one morning, and glanced off into a field in the Spotsylvania National Battlefield Park, and spotted movement. Thought it was a deer, until I looked at it close. Then I saw it was a really BIG bird. HUH? :what: I looked again, and it was still there. And it was still a really BIG bird. An ostrich? :eek:

I saw a park ranger a couple of days later and asked him about it. I thought sure he'd think I was crazy as a bedbug. He told me no, they knew about it, and that it was actually an emu, and it had been running around there for a while. Nobody could catch it. They had no idea who it belonged to, or where it came from.

As far as I know, it's still out there. Could they survive a winter in Virginia? Anybody know?

mete
June 17, 2006, 10:08 AM
I thought the proper weapon was the bolas ??

1911Tuner
June 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
Jim march said:

>I also suspect I'd still try and tackle it,<

Tackle an Emu???:eek:

You'll lose that fight, brother...:p

hoji
June 17, 2006, 12:13 PM
You would lose bad Jim. Probably be changing your name to Jane as well. They tend to kick with disembowlement in mind.

Jim March
June 17, 2006, 12:57 PM
Heh. Bolos it is then. But y'all DO know I'm 6'4" and near 300lbs? :) Being that big tends to give you bright ideas about throwing your weight around in a pinch and they're not always GOOD ideas...:neener:

1911Tuner
June 17, 2006, 01:08 PM
6 foot four and 300 pounds?? Forsooth! We call'em Bubba around here when they get that big.

Well...I reckon that means that it'll take a half-grown Emu about 15 seconds longer to wear yerass out than we figgered on.:neener:

Stickjockey
June 17, 2006, 01:12 PM
I also suspect I'd still try and tackle it .

You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din.:uhoh:

Working Man
June 17, 2006, 01:13 PM
6 foot four and 300 pounds?? Forsooth! We call'em Bubba around here when they get that big.

Is Bubba bigger or smaller than Hoss? :D

I'm not up on my weight classes.

sm
June 17, 2006, 01:15 PM
-I find it interesting critters more and more are coming into the cities - and city-folks want to move to rural areas.

-I remember growing up and having critters get loose from the zoo, or when the circus came to town..

-Police and Fire Depts often had to deal with critters. Police shoot rabid dog that had the widows kitty treed, fireman used ladder. Always remembered that Strategy and Tactic.

Got ideas

-Introduce Emus to parts of the city with Meth Labs and Criminals.

-Introduce Emus to the Borders.

Call it the "Feathered Fence Approach" to problem solving.

Use Enough Bird.

1911Tuner
June 17, 2006, 01:19 PM
ROFL Steve. I think it'd work!

Jim...Go Google a picture of an Emu and check out those feet...and keep in mind that they can kick about as hard a a small horse. Still wanna get tangled up with that?:eek:

Not I, bother. Nosir.

sm
June 17, 2006, 01:37 PM
Tuner,

Sure it would work. You and others know- not every problem is best handled by a gun and not every solution is best handled discharging a firearm.

Natural Order of things this Prey - Predator bit. Folks in Rural areas been doing it for years.

Black fellow I know, does handyman work and mows lawns, lives in a rural area.
Had a rash of City 'punks' coming down and stealing , vandalizing, just being punks.

"Steve, got a problem, help a fellow think".

So the gates were left open on some properties besides his. Sheriff office gets called, seems the bulls, horses, dogs "done treed" some punks. Funniest was a cell phone call to Sheriff office , seems the boys trying to steal a 4 wheeler done found themselves between a rock and hard place. Actually 3 bulls and 6 farm dogs and would not let that bunch get out a side gate.

Word got around, no more problems...

Emu's get protective, and would certainly make some nervous and decide to not do what they been doing.

Gotta admit, a video or three of Emu's protecting would certainly get some to think twice.

Today in the east part of town, 4 bloody, hurt, babbling Meth dudes done turned themselves into the satellite police station...

Pink Elephants for the Drunks - Emus for the Criminals.

It takes what it takes - as they say.

Video sales proceeds alone would pay for some great RKBA and other things...

*grin*

Ryder
June 17, 2006, 01:37 PM
There's a lot of meat on that thing.

Not after they got done with it.

five blasts from an officer's shotgun before being finished off by three more rounds from a police rifle

Soybomb
June 17, 2006, 01:46 PM
I'm waiting for the stopping power discussion that will come from this :evil:

I lived in carbondale for several years, I'm glad I left before the animal attacks started. :D

1911Tuner
June 17, 2006, 02:55 PM
Hey! Emus got a LOTTA stompin' power!

Wait...he said STOPPING power.

Sorry. My bad. Carry on.

Byron Quick
June 17, 2006, 04:52 PM
Jim,

Remember, our human ancestors invented a plethora of deadly weapons way back in the mists of the dawn of time. They went to the trouble of this sustained effort for what they believed to be good and sufficient reasons.

Jim, I'm willing to bet that being able to avoid emu rassling in the future was a huge spur to primeval weapons research programs.

Remember what Tuner said about your size and a half grown emu. Truer words have never been spoken. It's a mantra to live by. Please, if you are not very familiar with a species' behavioral habits and physical abilities, don't go getting cuddly with it.

I know a guy that picked up an injured squirrel one day with the intention of taking it to the vet for treatment. Ever noticed the chisel like teeth of a squirrel. Used for biting through the tough hard shells of nuts? Or the claws? Used to climb and cling to lofty branches? Well, the injured, and justifiably frightened squirrel clamped down on my friend's hand with those claws and started biting through his fingers. Through the flesh and through the bone. My friend starts gyrating while trying to sling the killer squirrel off of his bleeding hand. Howling in agony. Finally had to beat the squirrel to death against a tree as he couldn't get its claws loose and every time it let go with its teeth, it was only to punch holes clean through another finger bone.

City boy keeps a weather eye out for wild critters nowadays. Born Free and all that stuff are movies. So is Star Wars.

It ain't just city boys though, Jim. I know a man about your size that jumps on alligators to wrestle them. In the water. Big ones. He's darn good at it, too. Only problem is it's a field of endeavour that doesn't allow any mistakes.

Jim, if I had a choice between jumping on a 6 foot alligator in the water or tackling an emu, I wouldn't be happy about the situation at all. But I'd jump on the alligator before I tried the emu.

I'm not as big as you. I am big enough that guys your size have decided they weren't as froggy as they thought they were. I'm not going to tackle an emu with both of us working as a team.

taliv
June 17, 2006, 05:04 PM
i think this thread gets my vote for "best thread evar!"

sm
June 17, 2006, 05:13 PM
You just though Jim March's Revolver Check-Out thread was good...

Wait until the Jim March's Emu Checking-Out thread gets stickied...

Sorry Jim...

Then again you figure a Emu in Election Security uniform would keep the voting truthful?

1911Tuner
June 17, 2006, 06:21 PM
heh. Jim...you ain't gotta jump on an Emu to learn the truth about birds.
My grandpappy had a big Leghorn rooster that not many would wanna tangle with twice.:D

YellowLab
June 17, 2006, 06:23 PM
You have to nuke them from orbit.. its the only way to be sure.

Preacherman
June 17, 2006, 07:29 PM
Sounds like we need to open an emusement park . . .

1911Tuner
June 17, 2006, 07:33 PM
Groannnn:neener:

Larry Ashcraft
June 17, 2006, 08:20 PM
Would somebody please take the good padre outside and...

Never mind. ;)

We had an ostrich farmer about 3/4 mile from my place. One of his birds got out and was roaming a sod farm down the road, so the sod farm owner called and asked the ostrich owner; "What shall we do with this bird?"

"I don't care, shoot him, just don't try to catch him."

Sod farm owner asked his help; "Would you like a big chicken for dinner?"

Farmhands feasted that evening. :)

BTW, nothing better than ostrich meat.

GEM
June 17, 2006, 10:26 PM
A friend of mine was a big bird hunter and had a lease. He was out with his dogs looking for birdies. An emu charged his dogs to kick the crap out of them and then charged him.

He let off a couple of rounds of birdie load from his shotgun in front of it to bounce into its shins and it skeedaddled. Sorry, it wasn't tactical emu penetrator rounds.

I've seen them wandering around around Rock Springs in TX.

Big things!!

sm
June 17, 2006, 10:56 PM
I will neither confirm or deny...

See these fellows from France were here visiting about business stuff , and as happens there is some "cultural exchange".

They asked about hunting, fishing, and it got back to hunting and Southern Quail and how "these birds hold and then explode under foot"..."how fast they are running on the ground...".

Farm country, walking the property, and a old boy had some Ostrich's ...
"What is that?"
"Quail"
"I thought they were little?"
"That one is , wait until Momma comes looking for Junior" :what: :D

It got all straightened out over the fact that Southern BBQ was NOT very good :uhoh: , we hang folks for less offenses than that around here.

Now the folks from Spain were facinating, [Red Deer, driven bird hunts, etc.] Folks from Spain can shoot cow pasture skeet too, knew how to handle a shotgun...
I won't mention the France Fellers and guns...the idea of guns, pastures and such 'uncivilized'.

I got a better chance of being Ambassador to Spain - France is totally out of the question.

Not an Emu, Ostrich is close enough, principle of the matter you understand.

:)

carpettbaggerr
June 17, 2006, 11:13 PM
Would somebody please take the good padre outside and...

Emulsify him? :uhoh:

Yeah, yeah, I know, but emulation is the sincerest form of flattery......

Eat Beef
June 18, 2006, 12:01 AM
A while back, after the whole ostrich/emu pyramid scam fell apart, folks would dump the suckers everywhere.

So some buffoon knocks the lock off the gate to one of my pastures and dumps a pair. No big deal, except they kept trying to run up to the cattle, which scared the cattle, and they would run off. Then the emus would kinda chase them around. I think they just wanted to hang out, but it was making the cows nuts.

Well, this place was pretty well surounded by houses, so I chased them back into a patch of woods, and dispatched them both. If memory serves correctly it took 5 rounds from a .22lr to kill them both.

Long story short, either these cops need to go back to marksmanship 101, or they just figured they had a chance to shoot something, so why not unload.:cool:

Vairochana
June 18, 2006, 12:33 AM
A while back I was working in a well known Brisbane animal park.
In the paddock with the roos and wallabies we had some emus.
Now people could hand feed them along with the others so they were fairly tame.
One of these emus, Herbie, would follow you around (actually he wouldn't just follow- if you stopped long enough he would hump you like a dog- but that is another thread)
Anyhoo Herbie would follow about 5 feet behind as you walked among the tourists. There is little funnier than watching the face of a Japanese tourist who has asked you to bring the emu over as he realises just how close this huge bird is (Herbie was perfectly safe- they were never in danger)

Zen21Tao
June 18, 2006, 01:55 AM
About seven to eight month ago we had two chicken shooting incidents.

The first was a student here at UF who shot a couple of chickens with a BB gun because he didn't like the noise the made in the morning. Man PETA got pissed off at this kid.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051124/COLUMNS15/211240310/-1/COLUMNIST15
PETA seeks stiff penalty over UF chicken shooting
November 24. 2005 6:01AM

This week, for most people, it's all about turkeys.

But the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals are worried about other feathered friends - specifically chickens that University of Florida police allege were shot by a college student earlier this month. Officers said the 20-year-old told them he used a pellet gun to shoot two of the birds, which were loose on campus, because he was tired of the noise.

Police arrested the student for animal cruelty, and PETA is asking people to petition State Attorney Bill Cervone to seek the maximum sentence of five years in prison in the case. The group also wants the student, if he's convicted, to undergo psychiatric evaluation and counseling at his own expense and to be barred "from ever again having anything to do with animals in the state of Florida."

Spencer Mann, spokesman for the State Attorney's Office, confirmed prosecutors have received the group's request.

Talking about the organization's recommendations, Cervone said, "I may have a different perspective on this case than the PETA people."

Prosecutors are still investigating and have not made a decision on formal charges.

The second incident involved the fire department driving through the town of High Springs FL shooting chickens that were "running amok in the streets of High Springs." This left some residents rather ticked off.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060204/EDITORIALS/60203024&SearchID=7324806106229

High Springs chickens come home to roost

It's probably just as well that it wasn't police officers who were picked to pick off the renegade chickens running amok in the streets of High Springs.
That would have invited the inevitable comparisons of High Springs P.D. with the Keystone Kops and Mayberry.
But since it was firefighters doing the chicken-plunking....well, sorry, but it still invites the same comparisons.
Fine, so High Springs has a loose chicken problem. And something needed to be done. But shooting them down in the streets with small rifles?
"They did not take into consideration that this is a neighborhood with kids," Janet LaShells, town resident, complained to The Sun this week. "They were running through it like banshees."
And she was talking about the firefighters, not the chickens.
We can sympathize with town officials who say they didn't know what else to do. That trapping efforts hadn't worked. And that they got no help from other agencies.
And let's face it, residents likely would have clucked-clucked over the expense if, like Key West, High Springs had laid out $20,000 for a professional chicken catcher.
But shooting fowl down in the public streets smacks of well, foul play.
Especially coming just months after the well publicized arrest of a UF student for animal cruelty after he used a pellet gun on chickens near Lake Alice, at UF.
Not to mention that, when it was all over, firefighters had only bagged about eight of an estimated 70 feathered fugitives. At that rate, the cows would come home before they managed to snipe all of the cluckers.
Perhaps now that High Springs' chicken infestation problem has become so well known, offers of more expert assistance will be forthcoming. In the meantime, town officials ought to think of ways to make chicken salad, in a manner of speaking, out of wild chickens.
We're thinking of a new marketing event: The annual High Springs Easter Egg Hunt.
Winners get to keep both the eggs and the chickens.

If you enjoyed reading about "Campus Police shoot Emu" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!