Bush receives antique pistols, $10k rifle from King of Jordan

PDA

Telperion
June 16, 2006, 01:38 AM
Apparently, when you are the President, all sorts of people give you stuff (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0615061gifts1.html). Among other things, His Majesty King Abdullah II of Jordan gifted the President with 11 antique firearms (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0615061gifts5.html) (including a 1866 Winchester carbine and a 1851 Colt Navy pistol) and also a scoped Dakota Arms rifle.

It boggles the mind to ponder what the General Services Administration will do with the aromatherapy gift set (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0615061gifts11.html) given to Donald Rumsfeld. The guns are listed as going into the foreign archives. Does this mean they will become museum pieces at some later date?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bush receives antique pistols, $10k rifle from King of Jordan" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lucky
June 16, 2006, 04:10 AM
I like that Jordanian guy! If I started a fan club...

Vex
June 16, 2006, 05:03 AM
"It's good to be the king!" - Mel Brooks, History of the World Part 1

Third_Rail
June 16, 2006, 05:47 AM
Non-acceptance would cause embarrassment to donor and US Government.

That's the only reason given for the majority of these "gifts" from "donors".

Speaking of the gifts, most of them seem to be worth very little... any consumables are "handled pursuant to Secret Service Policy", like the Tunisian dates. Trashed, basically?

Preacherman
June 16, 2006, 10:50 AM
No, the Secret Service get to eat them.

:neener:

Lupinus
June 16, 2006, 11:26 AM
And who says they aren't our friends? I want friends like that. If any of you feel the need to be friends like that I'm more then willing to give you my address as a good faith move to our new friendship :neener:

Wonder if Bush had to fill out the importation forms? And aint guns banned in DC? Wonder if he is allowed to have guns at the white house?

mp510
June 16, 2006, 12:03 PM
Wonder if Bush had to fill out the importation forms? And aint guns banned in DC? Wonder if he is allowed to have guns at the white house?

The ATFE says that antiques are not considered firearms for import purposes.

Don't know if he is supposed to, but doesn't he have Saddams Hi-Power in the Oval Office too? Also, I have heard of some Senators keeping ML's on display in their offices. Doesn't Trent Lott have an NRA presentation rifle and a Mississippi Rifle (that was supposadly Jefferson Davis' rifle during the Mexican War) in his office??

carterbeauford
June 16, 2006, 12:43 PM
A Dakota! I salute Abdullah's taste.

RNB65
June 16, 2006, 12:50 PM
Speaking of the gifts, most of them seem to be worth very little... any consumables are "handled pursuant to Secret Service Policy", like the Tunisian dates. Trashed, basically?

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/reference/gifts.html

Lucky
June 16, 2006, 01:53 PM
The Jordanian Kind is a good guy, aiui, a moderate trying to modernize his country. And he deals with fanatics every day. He's got a tough job.

mrmeval
June 16, 2006, 02:57 PM
Afaik he can't keep them. There's a one pound gold coin in the Sec Defs office that China gave the one in office at the time. And there are other trinkets. I don't know what happens to the others.

Kharn
June 16, 2006, 03:31 PM
As I understand it, the President (or former Presidents) can ask to borrow such items from the archives for display in their office or library, but they're still the property of the government and eventually must be returned.

Kharn

4v50 Gary
June 16, 2006, 11:56 PM
It'll show up at either the Smithsonian or the Dubya Presidential Library.

El Tejon
June 18, 2006, 02:55 PM
FWIW, the King of Jordan is a Gunsite grad.:)

Gas Operated
June 18, 2006, 03:00 PM
FWIW, the King of Jordan is a Gunsite grad. :)
And an extra in a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode.

Diamondback6
June 19, 2006, 11:53 PM
As I recall, from Gen. Powell's autobiography, high officials have to turn gifts from FNs over to GSA, and then get first chance to buy them back--he cited a case where the Russians gave him an AK47. (Don't remember details or page #s, though.)

Lone_Gunman
June 20, 2006, 01:04 AM
If we are trying to bring democracy to the mid-east, why does Jordan have a King?

Pilgrim
June 20, 2006, 02:21 AM
Jordan is a constitutional monarchy. The king acts as the executive branch. He can be overruled by 2/3rds of both houses of the national assembly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan#Constitution

Great Britain still has a monarch and we don't get excited about it.

Pilgrim

Rumpled
June 20, 2006, 02:23 AM
About 25 years ago, I got to hang with the King's brother and two nephews.
Pretty cool thing for a 13 year old.
Short story, my father was a V.P. at World Airways. Prince and sons and entourage are touring the States in a World charter. They spend a day at an amusment park. Dad gets his kids to go along.
Tons of security, Secret Service, State Police, locals, FBI, park security, some others?, and Jordanian.
We get to go in all of the exits to the rides and straight on; wanna go again, sure. Five times in a raow while the paying customers wait, sure!

One of the kids wants food, park security and SS run ahead and clear out restaurant pronto. Entourage walks in and orders whatever without paying.

What a great day for a kid who got to go along.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
June 20, 2006, 02:56 AM
Charlie Wilson's (D-TX, Lufkin) office was an armory. The Afghans sent him all kinds of stuff...the first Stinger tubes to bring down HiNDs, AK's captured from dead Russians, RPG7's; not to mention all the furs and rugs they'd send over to raise money for the cause.

See "Charlie Wilson's War". Good read about the Muj when we backed them against the Russians. Gives some of the back story on why they're a problem now and why the Pakistanis were/are our friends.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Cosmoline
June 20, 2006, 02:57 AM
There's a one pound gold coin in the Sec Defs office that China gave the one in office at the time.

What do you want to bet that thing has a wee little bug in it :D

Lone_Gunman
June 20, 2006, 09:45 AM
Jordan is a constitutional monarchy. The king acts as the executive branch. He can be overruled by 2/3rds of both houses of the national assembly.

Right. But why does Jordan have a constitutional monarchy if we are trying to bring democracy to the mid-east?

I don't see what the English royal family has to do with it. They don't have any political decision making power now as far as I can tell.

hso
June 20, 2006, 10:50 AM
Note those in bold are monarchies with real political power playing a role in goverment. Our version of democratic republic isn't the only version.

Constitutional Monarchies
Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahrain
Belgium
Cambodia
Canada
Denmark
Grenada
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lesotho
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Malaysia
Monaco
Morocco
Nepal
Netherlands
Norway
Oman
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Samoa
Sweden
Thailand
Tonga
Tuvalu
United Kingdom

Lone_Gunman
June 20, 2006, 02:42 PM
hso, thanks for that info.

From looking at the data you provided, it sort of looks like if you are the friend of the US, a monarchy is OK.

But if you are our enemy, we need to do a regime change and set up a "democracy".

JohnBT
June 20, 2006, 10:21 PM
And I think that's a gross oversimplification.

John

Lone_Gunman
June 20, 2006, 10:37 PM
Yea, its pretty simple.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bush receives antique pistols, $10k rifle from King of Jordan" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!